Summary (In Gherkin notation)
- In order to make it as easy as possible to localiize (translate) an app description for F-Droid App Store
- As an Android App Translator
- I Want to use the same tools that are used to translate the app itself: Weblate, Crowdin, Stringlate, …
I want to be able to maintain the localized app descriptions as described in https://f-droid.org/docs/All_About_Descriptions_Graphics_and_Screenshots/#in-the-apps-build-metadata-in-an-fdroiddata-collection
through a tranlationservice (i am using crowdin.com and Stringlate app ). The result in fastlane project layout would look like this:
- … same for /de-DE/ and other locales
Since most tranlationservices already can handle android-string-resources (values.xml-format)
i have added debug-only string resource under `MyProjectRoot/app/src/debug/res/values(-xx)/fdroid.xml like this (i.e. values/fdroid.xml and values-de/fdroid.xml):
<resources> <!-- This becomes .../fastlane/metadata/android/short_description.txt. See https://f-droid.org/docs/Build_Metadata_Reference/#Summary --> <string name="short_description">Hello World Deluxe: get a free greeting every time you start the app.</string> <string name="title">Hello World Deluxe</string> <string name="full_description"><![CDATA["..."]]></string> </resources>
- note: ordenary stringresources are in
- note: debug-only string resource will not go into a release build.
- note: title.txt, short_description.txt, full_description.txt can be easily manually created from fdroid.xml.
What do you think of this approach?
Are there other already established standards to handle localized app-descriptions via translation-service?
Would it be difficuilt to include this translation-friendly-convention into the app-buildprocess?