What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

Interesting solution with Simple Gallery. I did not want to install a new gallery (the stock gallery from my phone is fine - except the lack of widget), but after trying it few minutes ago, it does the job. Thanks for the tip for the folder thing, it allows me to store all the QR Code of my family :wink: .

1 Like

There seems to be no app to put 2 images side by side, by pixel dimension, or crop photo to predefined pixel dimension fom xy coordinate, and save it to png or other lossless format.
Like if yo have 2 images with 1080 and height 1920, the output should be w2160 h1920.

What weā€™re missing is a Super Smash Bros clone, for both Linux and F-droid.
We got A Mario Kart clone known as Super Tux Kart,
and a Super Mario Bros clone called Super Tux (I didnā€™t see Super Tux on F-droid tho, but it is on Linux repositories.)

One app I would like to see is a Calendar app that will sync with Outlook and Google calendar. I understand that it would be difficult to get tokens for these types of apps approved, but maybe add an option to use my own client it and secret? If I could find a decent contacts/calendar server that is standalone (not part of an entire groupware package like nextcloud) and is free, easy to setup, etc, I would simply use a self-hosted calendar.

Canā€™t https://www.davx5.com/ cover the sync part?

May work, may not, but why would you want to? :laughing:

Synchronizing with Google accounts is not officially supported neither by DAVxāµ nor by Google. In the past, there were server errors from time to time, and itā€™s not very easy to configure (especially when you need multiple calendars).

Sounds like a recommendation to use something else!

Why not pay a small amount for Posteo or such?

There is the persistent assumption that Android === cellphone, despite the existence of wifi-only models since at least 2011 when Honeycomb came outā€¦ isnā€™t it time to get with the more modern trend and finally start supporting these devices?

There is always the assumption that all androids always have fast, free and unlimited (not metered) connectivity. This can only ever be true for cellphones on an unlimited data plan, and even then only in urban areas with good coverage. For wifi-only devices, or for folks who live outside urban areas, work in basement locations, travel through tunnels, etc there will be many (even most) times when there just is not any available internet service regardless of price. So it becomes necessary to deal with being offline much of the time, and androids in general just donā€™t do this very well.

Even worse, there is the assumption that local storage is somewhere between limited and nonexistent, despite the fact that even my 12 year old android running FroYo has a slot to add a rather large SD card - and shouldnā€™t more modern hardware be capable of so much more than that old one?

What I really want is for apps to support the reality I live in rather than force me to pretend I have some other situation that just does not exist here. I need to substitute cheap and abundant local storage for expensive and often unavailable bandwidth, while most of the android world is hell bent on enforcing exactly the opposite situation.

Something missing not just from the FOSS ecosystem, but from Android in general whether free or proprietary - a FULL email client. Meaning one that is equivalent in functionality to a complete desktop client. That means full support for local folders. POP should be fully supported, not just as an incomplete afterthought that ā€œpeople really shouldnā€™t use such an old protocol anyway now that we have IMAP so it doesnā€™t matter that POP is incompleteā€. And local backups and restores of message storage is a must.

The email clients I can find all insist on the IMAP model where you NEVER have access to all your messages locally, only a very limited subset at any given time, and that set is constantly being erased to make room for a different subset. Yeah, they have reluctantly added some limited support for POP protocol, but it is nowhere near as robust as a typical desktop client has for POP. Their plan for dealing with message database corruption is always the sameā€¦ delete all your data and re-download all your messages, with no other way to get them onto a device, not even through ADB and USB cables. This doesnā€™t work when you have 45 years worth of data to handle, and near zero bandwidth to re-download all that data over. There is still the assumption that ā€œoldā€ data needs to be cleared out to make space for new stuff and you still canā€™t have all your data onboard at the same time.

These same apps that are pushing the IMAP model still seem to believe that IMAP is clearly superior because POP servers cannot leave the messages on the server even though many desktop users have been doing exactly that for at least the past 25 years. On the one hand you MUST leave it all on the server if you want to have access to it in the future after one of those inevitable data corruption incidents that seem more common on androids in general. On the other hand with no way to make local backups the situation is much worse for IMAP where that type of corruption will then get synced back to the server, thus corrupting the only possible backup, so you really canā€™t plan to keep it on the server reliably with IMAP either. At least with POP the corruption wonā€™t reverse sync bad data back to the server to overwrite good data which then (for IMAP) would get synced to other devices, corrupting their message stores as well, so using POP and keeping messages on the server is much safer in terms of avoiding data loss.

This is not so good privacy wise, and very different from the desktop model where the user gets to choose whether to leave it there or not, plus the message store can easily be included in many types of backup and restored locally as neededā€¦ but itā€™s just not possible in the android ecosystem.

Yes I know about both FairEmail and K9. These two seem to be ā€œbest of breedā€ for android email clients. Plus there are many other apps that are forks of these. But none of them support local folders, nor can the message database be properly exported or imported for any of them. So no, none of them really meet the needs of a wifi-only android user.

Android is a product of Google. Google wants the people to be online and connected with the Google Cloud. Google isnā€™t interested in other app stores which share APKs using bluetooth or local wifi, working offline solutions that never connect and so on. Google made a vendor lock in with android. The partially freed Android with F-Droid is the best available mobile phone operating system for me and I am not happy with the disadvantages of the not fully freed OS.

2 Likes

k9, pop, leave on server

They may prefer to drop pop, but not yet.

Some settings: Redirectingā€¦

Remember to check the option to Leave messages on the server

Also look at (complicated) folders settings, follow links from: Redirectingā€¦

Termux may only work for Android 7+, but has old school email options too.

~ $ pkg search pop3
Checking availability of current mirror: ok
Sortingā€¦ Done
Full Text Searchā€¦ Done
fdm/stable 2.0-2 arm
A program designed to fetch mail from POP3 or IMAP servers, or receive local mail from stdin, and deliver it in various ways

~ $ pkg search email
Checking availability of current mirror: ok
Sortingā€¦ Done
Full Text Searchā€¦ Done
aerc/stable 0.7.1 arm
A pretty good email client

alpine/stable 2.25-3 arm
Fast, easy to use email client

mimetic/stable 0.9.8 arm
A C++ Email library (MIME)

notmuch/stable 0.32.2-2 arm
Thread-based email index, search and tagging system

1 Like

I randomly thought of voice recognition/assistant again, I forgot I already wrote this. Thanks to search I saved a few mins thinking up thinking up how to word this all over again ;D

Anyone know if there are any new apps of this kind? It looks like Mozillaā€™s DeepSpeech hasnā€™t been updated since Dec '20 (Tags Ā· mozilla/DeepSpeech Ā· GitHub)

Donā€™t forget mutt :slight_smile:

1 Like

mutt

Thatā€™s a whole other better search. And note how it saw past the typo!

$ pkg seach mail

abook/stable 0.6.1 arm
Abook is a text-based addressbook program designed to use with mutt mail client

aerc/stable 0.7.1 arm
A pretty good email client

alpine/stable 2.25-3 arm
Fast, easy to use email client

edbrowse/stable 3.8.0-4 arm
Line based editor, browser, and mail client

fdm/stable 2.0-2 arm
A program designed to fetch mail from POP3 or IMAP servers, or receive local mail from stdin, and deliver it in various ways

fetchmail/stable 6.4.29-1 arm
A remote-mail retrieval utility

hydroxide/stable 0.2.21-1 arm
A third-party, open-source ProtonMail CardDAV, IMAP and SMTP bridge

isync/stable 1.4.4 arm
IMAP and MailDir mailbox synchronizer

mailsync/stable 5.2.7 arm
A way of synchronizing a collection of mailboxes

mailutils/stable 3.13-1 arm
Mailutils is a swiss army knife of electronic mail handling.

mailutils-static/stable 3.13-1 arm
Static libraries for mailutils

mime-support/stable 1:2.1.53 all
Modern mime.types file from mailcap

mimetic/stable 0.9.8 arm
A C++ Email library (MIME)

mu/stable 1.6.10 arm
Maildir indexer/searcher and Emacs client (mu4e)

muchsync/stable 6-3 arm
Synchronize notmuch mail across machines

mutt/stable 2.1.4-5 arm
Mail client with patches from neomutt

nmh/stable 1.7.1-9 arm
Powerful electronic mail handling system

notmuch/stable 0.32.2-2 arm
Thread-based email index, search and tagging system

How about coqui?

1 Like

I miss app like Forest app, but privacy friendly version, being far from exodus report like this.

Nice thing in that is option to challenge persons. I have only read for a long time ago, but if I remember anything right, OnePlus offers maybe bit similar functionality, maybe called Zenmode or similar. Havenā€™t test that one, also itā€™s years when I tested Forest app while still used stock android.

Still I stopped using Forest app by then, even when they at the time replied:

We would like to clarify that we do not sell users data to any third party companies. The only thing we use the data is providing the service that users use in Forest. For example, we use the data to record usersā€™ planting history, so users can use the timeline feature to view their history. Moreover, if a user has any problems in Forest, we can use these data to further investigate the problem.

That didnā€™t ā€œquiteā€ convince me, stopped using after short test by then, but I really do miss something similar as an FLOSS version.

The data is already in the hands of 12 companies, right? :slight_smile:

Most likely at least. :sweat_smile:That was their answer at 2018.

App idea itself is great, people do use their phone too much even at the times one should focus people around you. If someone tells another to but phone away it usually doesnā€™t lead any good. Kind if ā€œsoft methodā€ works better there, just wish there would be descent option, or that I would know how to program.

Something like lynx/links as an APK. I know it can very probably be kludged with ~/bin/termux-url-opener but I think even some non-techy people would appreciate having a textual browser.

EinkBro | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository?

I would like to see some open source clients for some more open chat services. Specifically, I wish there was a GroupMe client in Fdroid.

GroupMe is ā€œopenā€? Open-source? Encrypted? Federated? No? Then why bother?