What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

I mean open as in open api’s. I should have made that more clear. I would love to drop GroupMe, but I am not the one who chose it for my groups.

I’ll quote myself from elsewhere:

Better think of it like this:

• Saying you like FOSS yet use GroupMe you keep saying to your friends that: “you should use <closed silo/software>, I’m just quirky and odd”
  • Every day you are still a silo user you keep your friends prisoners too!
  • If you don’t stand up for your principles, why should your friends?

Like RMS says, every “NO” helps: Saying No to unjust computing even once is help - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

Say NO to silos!

3 Likes

foss version of something like fotmob for football scores, transfers, news etc. Currently using fotmob website in webapp which is not horrible, but having an actual app to save settings like filtered leagues teams etc would be nice.

Contact and calendar synchronisation between peers.

I use ICSdroid in conjunction with Syncthing, however it only syncs in one way and is limited to the calendar.

@jackrana DecSync CC | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

2 Likes

An app like Kakugo for learning/drawing/recognizing characters, but for Chinese, would be nice.

Probably already mentioned, but I really would like to see a offline speecht-to-text app. i tried on linux such one as nerd-dictation (based on vosk) and works pretty well, but I haven’t found one on f-droid, only Dicio but I guess it’s only for commands. Probably once a good working s-t-t app exists it will likely also bring up offline language translators-apps by using s-t-t , wich I also would like to use.

1 Like

There is words.hk.

1 Like

I am new to the community and would like to understand the steps to submit any additional app/apk file here?

1 Like

Here’s my list:

• App for sketching with multilayer support. I currently use Pocket Paint, but it have some irritating bugs and seems to not be updates.
  • App for creating graphs, charts, network visualisations, etc.
  • Dialer supporting old Android versions
  • Port of Lokinet for Android (actual version does not work)
  • IceCatMobile - it was a good app, but it’s discontinued for unknown reason and now have a lots of bugs
  • Voice recognition engines and text-to-speech engines

And finally, it may be difficult to achieve this goal:

• App emulating a GNU/Linux mobile environment (Phosh, Plasma Mobile, etc.) for running GUI apps like on PostmarketOS.

@anedroid

IceCatMobile

Fennec F-Droid or my Mull

text-to-speech engines

RH Voice and eSpeakNG

App emulating a GNU/Linux mobile environment

AnLinux, UserLAnd, Limbo

Dialer

What is wrong with the system dialer?

Sketching

Krita?

It’s proprietary software.

I listed IceCatMobile because it’s different. Fennec or Mull are just copies of the official Firefox for Android (there are more on F-Droid), and they have most of its antifeatures (add-on restrictions, no certificate view, can’t manage installed ca, no devtools).

It’s not a GNU/Linux mobile environment emulator. And Limbo is a virtual machine!

It’s great they ported Krita to Android, but it’s not displaying well on small screens. Moreover I need something more lightweight, with multilayer support. I think there is a lack of such kind of apps on F-Droid.

can’t manage installed ca, no devtools

You can use the system CA
and there are extensive developer tools available: about:debugging — Firefox Source Docs documentation

It’s not a GNU/Linux mobile environment emulator

Perhaps you want Termux then?

No, I can’t. Firefox for Android (and all its forks) have its own arbitrary CA database. You can’t add your own CA or remove Cloudflare’s from there.

The problem is, it’s for desktop version. There is no devtools on mobile. I come to the conclusion you don’t know much about Android ecosystem and F-Droid apps.

I think everybody in F-Droid community knows about Termux. It’s a fantastic, powerful tool. Did you noticed however I wrote about GNU/Linux mobile environment (Phosh, Plasma Mobile, etc.) for running GUI apps like on PostmarketOS? I intentionally avoided word “desktop” environment, cause it’s not desktop - it’s mobile. It’s not hard to understand I am talking about GUI, not CLI. I am talking about mobile, not desktop, where you need mouse/touchpad and keyboard to navigate (I actually had tried many of such apps, even Termux:X11 plugin not officially released yet).

Modern GNU/Linux apps does support small touchscreen like smartphone screen, including Firefox. Krita app is close to this idea.

Port of Lokinet for Android (actual version does not work)

What do you mean by “actual version does not work”?

If you are on a proprietary ROM does it make sense to use a FOSS dialer?

I actually have a privilege to flash LineageOS and Magisk, but I know some people who don’t. On some devices flashing is blocked, so users are forced to stick to manufacturer’s proprietary ROM.

We often tend to forget how hard life can be without custom ROM and root access.

:rofl: :person_shrugging: That’s unexpectedly funny… then again @SkewedZeppelin only polishes Mull, adds Arkenfox and tweaks :config, Mozilla still does the heavy lifting. And DivestOS is Lineage + tweaks and kernel updates and stuff, so @SkewedZeppelin contributes less that a full Lineage dev, I guess…

1 Like