What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

Pluck is old, tried https://f-droid.org/packages/com.wesaphzt.privatelock/ yet?

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ve installed Private Lock now. It also seems to work based on the Device Administrator feature, not requiring root. Iā€™ll see if that solves the problem.

Possibly Capcut https://capcut.org/about/

It doesnā€™t seem to be available on F-Droid

More than types of apps, it is the quality of apps that are missing. Google Play Store has all types of apps, except those that violate their business interests.

When users look for alternative platforms, they are not only looking for apps that are useful but not permitted in Play Store (e.g. Newpipe), but also good quality apps.

Google Play Store has plenty plenty of junk apps. Most of them are copycats of each other and are total garbage.

I personally look forward to excellent apps in basic categories like file manager, gallery cum video player, music player, etc.

2 Likes

Dubious site tooā€¦

Bytedance is a chinese company, makers of TikTok?

Video Transcoder is FOSS, you can cut and recode, but not merge and the rest.

Iā€™ve used Quik (old GoPro app thatā€™s no longer available appid ā€œcom.stupeflix.replayā€) for some merges.

Note: all this non-FOSS stuff, but also FOSS stuff is firewalled (Android firewall eg. Datura and Netguard!).

Not all apps need internet for their function :slight_smile:

Sorry I was wrong downloaded it through aroura app. My bad

Long time lurker. First time posting. Myself I am only missing niche apps ala Amazon, Radarscope, ebird, etc. Fdroid covers all my other needs.

I misses a Magnifier.
I miss a messeger like Whatapp, Telegram, MSN Messener, Facebook Messenger in one Messenger togheter for my kids.
I missed Facebook, Instagram alternative like Twitter =Nitter or Slim Social.

I missed that a App speech to text.

Use zoom in your camera or just buy a magnifying glass? such an useless app.

Yes, thereā€™s Telegram: Telegram FOSS | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
Of course, the rest you mentioned are not going to be there because they are proprietary software. Just donā€™t use them, is not that hard.

Thereā€™s Frost for Facebook: Frost for Facebook | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

https://bibliogram.art

1 Like

Did you miss Conversations (or the phone number version Quicksy) when you looked up messenger apllications on F-Droid?

1 Like

I donā€™t think so.

It is illegal only if you play music for public, and generate income (directly or indirectly) without permission/ license.

In most jurisdictions, there is no charge for personal consumption.

And for sure AFAIK, there is no need for license to read hash from music for identifying the same.

Barni,
To use Conversations for free, first search for Free XMPP Server online. Make login and pass.Then input those details into Conversations (from f-droid) as existing account. OMEMO encryption is enabled by default in Conversations, so your business remains private. Remember to disable battery optimisations when asked by Conversations. If messaging others that are using Apple products, they can use Monal IM or Siskin IM to communicate with you. Same deal with those apps: find a free xmpp server online (or you can host your own). Both of these Apple apps require the user to activate encryption, though. For reasons why you should not be using facebook products (or any other app that can read your messages and is owned and controlled by a single company that profits from your data and spies on you constantly), you can consider checking out the Rob Braxman Tech channel on Odysee or YouTube.

If you need an easy XMPP messenger setup with just one account, you can use quicksy. It is the same software like conversations but just usable with quicksy.im. It is from Daniel Gultsch the author from conversations, too. Your account will be +phonenumber@quicksy.im and your contacts who use quicksy too, will be autodiscovered by your and their phonebooks. The account gets verified by SMS. If you change your phone number, your account changes. If you have a mixed setup with quicksy accounts and non-quicksy accounts and want your non-quicksy account to be autodiscovered by quicksy accounts, you can talk to Daniel, spend him some money and your non-quicksy will be enlisted. The money is just for auto-discovering non-quicksy account. All the rest quicksy is just a normal XMPP account that can interact with every XMPP account.

Something like GIMP or the venerable Photoshop Elements would be nice! Iā€™ve noticed we have Krita :smiley:

tho Iā€™d be satisfied with something that does basic image processing with preview, like saturation, hue, gamma etc. I know I can do it with ImageMagick in Termux but thatā€™s kinda clunky for fixing colors

1 Like

Another thing nice would be a small-footprint Matrix client.

Iā€™d like to try out Matrix but all the clients are 40-50MB and up, meaning I need 500+MB free space to install/update the APK, and they probably consume a lot of RAM too. Unfortunately I donā€™t keep much free space on my phone

@Ryu945
GrapheneOS and DivestOS can turn off sensors per app.

All Android 10+ ROMs can also turn all sensors off globally via the developer settings tile.
Android 12 makes that tile a feature.

But I donā€™t think you can restrict individual sensors.

2 Likes

(ā€¦)
@SkewedZeppelin
GrapheneOS and DivestOS can turn off individual sensors per app or global sensors per app?

Yes, GrapheneOS has 2 quick tiles that can turn off camera and mic globally.

Changing individual app access to cam/mic should be available in both LineageOS and Graphene. Graphene just adds the 2 global quick tiles.

I never used the quick tiles in Graphene, I usually block cam/mic access individually, e.g. for whatsapp set to ā€œask every timeā€.

Hth

i miss app for:

Sr. function comment
1 battery charge notifcation :mag_right: battery charging notifier
existing FOSS app : Charge Limit
this app changes phoneā€™s behaviour,
whichā€™s unwanted
2 copying text from blocked UI elements alternate to proprietary:
com.camel.corp.universalcopy
3 blocking touches with display on alt to proprietary:
com.clstudios.screenlock
4 Scientific calculator