What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

That’s impossible, yes, you suspect right.

The Lora part is just a network? Then Conversations and an XMPP serever might fit.

Nope. Has ads and is on FoogleStore. Not worth the pain or even to be bothered about.

1 Like

@Ryu945 It looks like you’re looking for a combo of these

Re: Lora

XMPP can do Audio/Video calls too.

https://jmp.chat has the infra for a TelCo system on XMPP, do check it out.

The drivers part sounds out of spec, eg. That’s a ROM specification as it needs deep system integration.

I don’t know your region of course, but here in western Europe osm works flawlessly for navigation and is actually superior to Google Maps for walking and cycling. If it’s missing data in your region, you could try adding that data yourself, to help others in your region. I’m pretty certain any FOSS navigation app we will see would be based on osm maps, so we might as well work together to fix any of its flaws. :slight_smile:

I think that would be copyright infringement. I am not a lawyer, though.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean. I always enter the address street first, then number, then town. Possibly there are regional differences playing up here again.

The answers are out there. This answer is No: “Copyright infringement OSM contributors are reminded never to add data from any copyrighted sources (e.g. Google Maps or printed maps) without explicit permission from the copyright holders.” OpenStreetMap Oddly enough, the reverse is opposite. Gmaps can take OSM data…

it requires entering the address backwards compared to every other map app I have seen on the market.

When you free your mind and learn a new habit, what once seemed backwards can soon seem forwards, and more efficient. Like RPN for calculators. (A source: Reverse Polish Notation )

A “cheat” for hard-to-get-in-OsmAnd destination locations: Use GmapsWV to find your destination. Best while using Orbot. Hit Share to copy a long, ugly URL. Go to OsmAnd+, paste the ugly URL into Search. 9 times in 10 it pulls the coordinates correctly from the URL, for saving as Favorite or navigating to it. 1 in 10 you need to “push” onto a slightly different location in GmapsWV to get coordinates instead of a G-shortcut-link.

PS. This is probably better in a How to use OsmAnd thread…

OSM has extremely strict rules and will immediately ban you for even mentioning Google Maps or other proprietary map data as far as I am aware.

Re: Signal websockets

It’s just HTTP, there’s no external driver required for websockets. Not sure where this comparison is valid, but whatever.

We have ROM integrators around, maybe they’ll chime in how easy it is for usermode (non-system, non-root) apps to bundle actual drivers and use hardware on Android.

Re: Maps

As said above, maybe it’s just missing for your region, as any FOSS thing, you are welcome to improve it…

Lineage OS can disable all sensors.

I think that there is no diff text tool app available on fdroid, something like meldmerge or kdiff3

Example of software:
meldmerge .org

Shazam FOSS would ne awesome.

1 Like

Too complicated, hard to do without money since you’d need to license all that music that you hash :frowning:

@Hello, @Licaon_Kter
I started a new thread to not getting too offtopic. Music recognition app

1. Subtitles editor like Easy Subtitles
  2. Background app killer like Greenify

SuperFreezZ App stopper (Entirely freeze all background activities of apps.)
https://f-droid.org/packages/superfreeze.tool.android/ helps?

What I am missing most of all right now is a way to broadcast a zeroconf/bonjour hostname to the local network similar to Avahi. Everything I have found so far that can do this tends to be a bag of parts providing libraries for app developers to add this feature to their own code.

My use case is that I want to fire up a service under termux, for example, and tell a neighbour on the WiFi to go to mylineageosphone.local to connect to the data or service I provide there. I run gitea under termux on my phone (spinning it up when I want to use it), and it would be great if I didn’t have to keep editing my git remotes every time I hit a new DHCP lease on a café network or something.