What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

Hello,
is there some app to copy apps with all their data and settings? I need to move some app to another smartphone.

@100

also SeedVault is included in LineageOS, CalyxOS, and DivestOS.

1 Like

@100 small note: Root required

Board game engine like VASSAL. Examples of Google Play apps include Board Game Arena and Tabletopia.

EDIT: Also an idle game like Cookie Clicker.

The main issue is having an easy to use GPS directionsā€¦like Google maps. Using Micro g just isnt the same.

Everything elseā€¦I could care less.

@Online-butcher what problems are you having with microG and GPS?

@Online-butcher

You probably want OsmAnd or Organic Maps.
microG (UnifiedNlp) has no impact to GPS.

1 Like

I cant even figure out osmā€¦tried a few times. Its just a pain. I will try again

The learning curve is a little steep at first. After you forget how Gmaps worked, it gets easier. Like learning new habits.

1 Like

I actually got to OSMAND from Navit (Nokia internet tablet, yay), and itā€™s fantastic. Sure, you have to get used to it, but whenever I show people the elevation overview on a calculated track - all offline - theyā€™re typically blown away. I also have some experience with Here (we go), it was way ahead of OSMAND back when my wife still used her Nokia N9, but now no more.

3 Likes

Adding to list here: Shot Timer app.

Described here: Oglaf app, NSFW policy - #4 by anon46495926

I would like to see an app that lets you control the NFC, including turning it off.

A lot of ROMs, including some LineageOS, donā€™t let you turn the NFC off. I donā€™t use NFC and just tracked down a bad battery drain caused by NFC partial wakelock. I used the FOSS app ā€œApp Managerā€ to disable partial wakelock in the NFC process.

In LOS turning off NFC is grayed out in Settings for some strange reason. Iā€™ve done a search and unfortunately, not only is NFC wakelock battery drain a known problem in many ROMs but people online are offering uninformed solutions that results in the phone being unbootable (freezing the NFC process can do this).

A very useful app would be one that can 1) disable and enable NFC, 2) disable NFC partial wakelock, and 3) does not result in the device becoming unbootable. As a failsafe, the app can disable NFC but it is re-enabled on boot, just to be safe.

@Corwin

All ROMs let you turn off NFC.
If the NFC toggle is greyed out that means the software or the hardware
is malfunctioning.

Especially with you saying there is a NFC wakelock only further
indicates there is an issue.

1 Like

Not all LineageOS ROMs let you turn off NFC. My LOS ROM is a fresh install. If you do a search for ā€œNFC toggle grayed outā€ there are lots of results with new devices.

I miss very much an app that controls the volume of my device dependent of my speed. But not absolute like ā€œSpeed of Volumeā€ and other apps but relative ā€¦

Spielmops

I would very much appreciate a Scottish Gaelic keyboard. I donā€™t care if it is fully including autocorrect, I would just like something that has Ć ĆØĆ¬Ć²Ć¹ as separate keys.

Recurring bill reminder (subscription manager) app is missing

granted my use case is pretty specific, Iā€™ve only one hand but speech to text would be a godsend. Im aware of the difficulty but i can wish cant I?

2 Likes

I second that wish!

Spielmops

I think an app locker that uses fingerprint hardware to unlock.