What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

Thank you for the answer. I should have specified which functionality I was missing from DB Navigator, you already mention buying tickets (including for local public transport in many cases) but there’s also comfort check in, showing your tickets etc that make traveling more seamless. Since the company is partially state owned, imo there should be a FOSS version.

I also know OsmAnd and quite enjoy it. It actually has an integrated function that works similar to Transportr afaik. What I miss from OsmAnd (and this is not a complaint, I really appreciate the availability of these FOSS apps and such easy access to OSM on my phone) is the feel, look and ease of using Gmaps. But most of all its the routing. OsmAnd cannot route very well, especially on long routes and it takes ages. I know probably Google does this remotely on their servers. And ofc there is the huge community of reviewers, localized information on stores etc. that no alternative to Google can compete with.

1 Like

Learning to fix open street map errors myself, without 666gle supervision overhead, gives a feeling of freedom and independence worth far more than traffic data or place ratings IMO. I only wish address or place lookups worked better on OsmAnd, and all the sheeple didn’t go along with being herded by 666gle.

1 Like

Isn’t StreetComplete (OpenStreetMap surveyor app) - https://f-droid.org/packages/de.westnordost.streetcomplete just for that? :wink:

It helps add details to the map, using a phone, but doesn’t help with search for already existing places, AFAIK. I also don’t like “run at startup” permission but that’s a nit maybe.

Hi there, have you found a decent TTS system already?

Hast du mittlerweile eine gescheite TTS Lösung in F-Droid gefunden? Ich such auch was für deutsch.
Gruß

I’m not not sure but, Indian government banned camscanner app for stealing data from the users data…
Please correct if Im unware of something.

I there a good replacement for Android Auto?
My new car will have it.

Android Auto is good for safety :slight_smile:

Maybe, but doesn’t work without gms and I don’t have and aslo I don’t want to have gplay.

I miss a compression and decompression app that can handle RAR, 7Z, TAR, GZ…

Can you guide me on how I can install my app ok fdroid .

I don’t seem to find my app that I have made live in Google app market

@manuraj It’s an free open-source app? Link to the code repo?

No this app developed using Android studio

Can I just send a copy of apk in Fdroid ?

Or do I need to compile in Fdroid

If so what is prices to get environment and android studio ?

The code needs to be publicly visible and completely open source, including dependencies.

The app has images and text and needs android studio to create apk file

So I need to install android studio in f-droid. . And copy my code from here ? Via some package ? What is process fo place android Ian’s my package in Fdroid ?

F-Droid is another place for Android apps but without proprietry services and trackers and must be open source, therefore apps on Google Play Store isn’t here.

You can follow this link to know how to get your app included in F-Droid, I don’t recommend using your own repository as people usually just use the f-droid.org main repository. https://f-oid.org/en/docs/FAQ_-_App_Developers/#how-do-i-get-my-app-included

If you want to get more information, you can browse this website. FAQ - App Developers | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

1 Like

You can develop in whatever IDE you want. F-Droid hosts only full open-source apps, where the code is hosted somewhere (like github, gitlab, codeberg, sourcehut, etc) under an OSI approved open source license.

And then we build that app from that code to get the APK that’s hosted.

I could do with a simple calendar that syncs to outlook and others. I am not finding easy ways to do this with FOSS apps. Did I miss it?

Davx5 and Etar work for others. May work for outlook too, but I wouldn’t want to do that. :smiley:

apparently it doesn’t…on the website they redirect to an outlook plugin…but I don’t use outlook (software), only the office365 online version…so I guess there’s no foss solution at the moment…