What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

Is this about FTP or just about file transfers? Eg. Syncthing does this

The above appears to be spam/phishing.

1 Like

Syncthing looks really cool, will perhaps become my familyā€™s go to solution for mobile phone photo synchronisationā€¦
In the above case, itā€™s really about (S-)FTP resume functionality.

You should ask BlockList maintainers to add Venntel/gravy to have it filtered on Blokada and DNS66 : DNS Block List [Wiki de sebsauvage.net]

code_signature com.timerazor.gravysdk.

network_signature api.findgravy.com|ws.findgravy.com

https://etip.exodus-privacy.eu.org/trackers/390acc03-b8ab-4d6f-964d-75be9a7c9ba6/

Seems I could add above Venntel/gravy to ClassyShark3xodus ( com.timerazor.gravysdk) ?

Another thing that comes to mind is an USB IR blaster control app. Like Zaza remote. There is old code on GitHub of irdroid (also on play store), but I never could make that one work.
FYI, Iā€™m using it transceivers that I got from eBay for a few bucks, they work great, one micro usb, one USB-C.
I would just like to have full LIRC remotes and more importantly, have a completely different interface on the phone than the standard remote button layout.

Think black screen, gestures like turning clockwise for volume up, or sliding up and down (all apps Iā€™ve seen just draw buttons on the screen that need to be trapped), double taps, two finger swipes, etcetera. I donā€™t want to have to look at the device, and touch screens without tactile buttons just have to use other ways to controlā€¦

2 Likes

I thought I remembered seeing an app to manage finances and that help the user with filling out tax forms, but I canā€™t seem to find it when searching F-Droid for ā€œtaxā€.

Iā€™ve had at least one person ask me about this recently and Iā€™d like to be able to direct them to an open-source app for this sensitive data input.

Ideally it would:

• help determine capital gains and/or losses, (eg. stocks, bonds, cryptos etc).
  • read in CSV files that are provided by an Stock, Bond or Crypto Exchange.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

For rooted devices only (#su Magisk) Iā€™ve updated ADBungFu with underrated
Trim caches for all apps : useful prior any twrp backups, to save time and xGo(s).

For non rooted ones, plug your device to a PC with adb plus: adb shell pm trim-caches 999999G , before running twrp backups.

Hi
It would be good to have a version of youtube-dl for Android.

I use it with my Desktop PC to download radio shows from BBC.

Iā€™ve seen some instructions how to run youtube-dl with Android, but it looks difficult (for me).

Info about youtube-dl is here ā†’ https://www.youtube-dl.org/

It would be good to have it bundled into an app and hosted on f-droid.
Itā€™s a command-line program, but maybe it could be used with a minimalistic gui similar to the one at website www dot clipconverter dot cc.

@bat999 NewPipe or Yashlang or Musicpiped or Skytube arenā€™t good enough?

Maybe get Termux and use youtube-dl there.

@Licaon_Kter

NewPipe or Yashlang or Musicpiped or Skytube arenā€™t good enough?

No, I donā€™t think these will download radio shows from BBC.

Maybe get Termux and use youtube-dl there.

There is instructions hereā€”>
https://www.droidviews.com/download-youtube-videos-on-android-with-youtube-dl/

Maybe one of you mavens could try those instructions for me, because itā€™s above my level at present.

When I run it with Linux I use a command like thisā€¦
youtube-dl --version

And it returnsā€¦

And this is usefulā€¦
youtube-dl --help

To download a low-bitrate audio file from BBCā€¦
youtube-dl -f worstaudio BBC Radio 4 - Bells on Sunday, Westminster Abbey

And mediainfo shows a file like thisā€¦

General
Complete name : Bells on Sunday, Westminster Abbey-m000j138.m4a
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/mp41)
File size : 758 KiB
Duration : 2 min 7 s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 48.8 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.35.100

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC LC SBR
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication
Commercial name : HE-AAC
Format settings : Explicit
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Duration : 2 min 7 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 48.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 23.438 FPS (2048 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 745 KiB (98%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

Is there an app for discord without tracking?

2 Likes

Iā€™m very much missing a SHAZAM alternative.
Havenā€™t found a Netflix client either.

5 Likes

I get the same file (probably. the size is same but I canā€™t seem to get mediainfo working). It plays fine in VLC 3.0.13 from F-Droid. What kind of problem are you having with this file?

1 Like

I need an app that edits .odt or .docx or even plain old .rtf files in a WYSIWYG way. Basically something where I can send or receive a formatted file from my computer with MS Word or WordPad.

LibreOffice Viewer has some editing support but it keeps removing the formatting from random paragraphs and is prone to crashes on my phone.

2 Likes

Oh, I also forgot, a speech-to-text program. Ideally even something that would plug in to apps that request the Google Voice thing which Iā€™ve got disabled, if thatā€™s even possible.

It appears Mozilla is working on something called DeepSpeech which is a local program (not server-side like GšŸ•µļøgle ;ā€“) I donā€™t know in what stage of development this is or if anyone has tried porting it to Android. A commercial speech recognition program I used to have ~10 years ago took up a few GB disk space and worked on a very old laptop so I donā€™t think itā€™s out of reach of modern cellphones.

2 Likes

I actually havenā€™t really found a good Contacts app either. Iā€™m assuming there must be one somewhere out there, but itā€™s apparently well hidden. The one I use doesnā€™t display or let me edit birthdays (or events in general).

Iā€™m still not sure what the best Maps & Navigation app is either, but there are tons of those.

And something that allows me to change the icons of individual apps, like I used to do on my old LG G3.

But mostly Shazam.

1 Like

Which Contact apps did you try? It didnā€™t allow to change the icons?

Which Nav one?

1 Like

Firefly III or GnuCash maybe?

I would love to able to do a single-click install from F-Droid that could replace the factory standard Android UI with a suitable suite of liberating (free-as-in-speech) apps and UI widgets from the main F-Droid repos. There could be a few standard suites, and it could choose a suitable one based on the capabilities of the device, by detecting things like;

• Android version
  • system RAM
  • size and free space of internal and external storage

Users would still add apps to the basic suite, and might decide to use different apps from what the suite standardizers have chosen. But they wouldnā€™t have to spend a few hours choosing and installing apps to replace the OEM ones just to get started. This would be especially helpful for users new to F-Droid and its range of apps.