What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

Hi
There is an app on PlayStore called “Google PDF Viewer”.

It’s a “headless” app.
Very simple to use, tap on a PDF file and it just opens the file for viewing.

I realize there are several PDF apps already available on F-Droid, but maybe there is a demand for a similar headless “Droid PDF Viewer” too.
Or maybe one of the other PDF apps already available on F-Droid would consider offering a headless version too (with small footprint and low resource use).

What does headless mean to you exactly? No useful features? A barren app?

Probably means apps without launcher icon (like Netscope) : no android.intent.category.LAUNCHER in manifest activity (?)

Hello again
I’ve decided to use “MuPDF mini” from F-Droid
instead of
“Google PDF Viewer” from PlayStore.

It works OK without using the launcher too.
Tap on a PDF file and it just opens the file for viewing.

Yes. I too use MuPDF myself, and it becomes easier to use, with lesser issues.

I have no issues with the PDF viewer apps available on F-Droid already.

what i’m totally missing is:

• an app for vector (i.e. not pixel) based drawing and note taking (including freehand). Something that would save to SVG or comparable open vector-based format. Bonus points for handwriting recognition with optional conversion to text.
  • an good app for drawing diagrams (e.g. mindmaps, entity-relationship diagrams, UML and other class diagrams etc). Of course that could also be done in one same app with the general vector notes and drawing app
1 Like

Ok thanks. I’m actually the one who put in on google play and I was curious.
I did it this way : I extracted all the necessary files and libraries from the corresponding AOSP version and compiled it . It worked perfectly till android 8 on my tablet ( but it maybe works on others) , I think. I didn’t really bother to see what was the problem as it was already a really bothersome process to compile everything. ( and i don’t really remember how I did it). But maybe you could try with language package, and don’t forget to add permissions.
With google wanting everything to have a 64 bits versions and me having a bad memory ;), I’ll have maybe to abandon it.

I have actually just uploaded a new Flite version on google play and it has a german austrian voice ( actually this one Austrian German HTS Voices for Flite download | SourceForge.net ) . I still haven’t done all the adaptations ( didn’t really checked if he reads all the numbers well, etc …) , but you can check it and tell me what needs to be improved.

If you want it from elsewhere I can send it to you. I plan to put it on f-droid on one day. But I want to make some improvements before and organize everything so I don’t know in how long …

All young girls would like a privacy friendly Tinder alternative. PLEASE implement it.

Not specifically a dating app but given that many people have using social media to connect, have you heard of the Fediverse? It’s decentralised social media. You can setup your own server if you don’t want third-parties to store, have access to, and serve your public (and private) content.

Sadly setting up your own server means buying a domain name. It doesn’t work yet over the privacy router, Tor.

There’s apps on F-Droid for the Fediverse already, that enable people to operate different ‘Accounts’ for different ‘Aspects’ of their life. So someone into coding, kick-boxing and dating could choose to have three identities on different servers, that are suited to each ‘Aspect’ of their life.

I’d be more interested in it if it worked over Tor. Most of the servers are Cloudflare, so many basic operations don’t seem to work for Tor users. You probably won’t be a able to upload your photos using Tor (Orbot) for example.

If you are interested in being able to control who you give your data to, the Fediverse is a good option but if you want something that approximates Tinder, where your images are publicly available but you don’t want surviellance systems to know that it’s you, you will not be in luck. Without basic anonymity your public data and profile can easily be mapped to you by large actors, thus the data you serve could conceivably be used to target you outside of the service.

Hopefully not everything above sounds like gobbledygook.

A FOSS version of ClipKey

Please read the description of the below listed applications in the play store link:
1:Button alternative to scrolling:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leavjenn.tapscroll
2:Custom Tiles for Android 7+:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rascarlo.quick.settings.tiles
3:Music Player(m4a, opus support also) with ear-piece as standard output.
Suggestion: Option to Choose between ear-piece and speaker everytime i play some audio:

4:TTS engine with English(US & GB ):

5: https://github.com/calintat/unit
Add: Prefixes for Order of magnitudes as a different option rather then like it is implemented in this application and that too incomplete.
Remove: ‘Currency’ Option from this application as this is just a few clicks away in a browser and the only option which access internet and a very time consuming to maintain(where consuming=waste as every one has internet browser in mobiles and if i want conversion then will i first update application data and then write my conversion wouldn’t it be just a kind of time waste for nothing.
Note: Please don’t think that im rude while writing(or reading as of you ) this Post and excuse me for being from India and im not very good at English as u might have noticed already.

In my opinion an GUI-Version of magic wormhole (GitHub - magic-wormhole/magic-wormhole: get things from one computer to another, safely) for Android would be a good think.
EDIT: Magic wormhole is a command line tool that allows to transfer files between two computers very easily.

Umm Syncthing not good enough?

TLDR:
Despite Syncthing is very good for keeping folders on different devices synchronized and up-to-date, it is a much to heavy solution for just transferring one single file. Magic-wormhole is much better for this, but AFAIK only available on command line.

Long version:
Syncthing is for syncing whole folders. So to transfer just a single file, you first have to share the device ID with the device you want to share the file. Then, this has to be accepted onto the other device. Then you have to create a folder for it, copy the file into it, and sharing it with the other device. This has to be accepted, too, and then it is transferred. After it, you have to move the file in the folder on you computer to the real destination and delete the data from the folder on your Android device so it isn’t saved two times.

In magic-wormhole, you simply choose one file, then an ID/password is generated, and after transferring it to the destination and entering it the file is transferred. While the ID in Syncthing is a long hexadecimal value, in magic-wormhole it is very short and readable (like “8-positive-woodlark”).

You can “share to Syncthing” iirc, but yeah, better for long term, not for one-offs.

I’m using Total Commander Wi-Fi for one-offs (eg. share to iOS users; same Wi-Fi or adhoc Wi-Fi direct)

The app is not bad and it would be good to have such an app on F-Droid, but the “WiFi/WLAN Plugin for Totalcmd” seems to not encrypt the data (it is using HTTP) and that it only works in the same Wi-Fi is also a caveat for me.
Also I think there is/was a similar app on F-Droid, but I don’t know certainly and don’t remember the name.

True…but you keep moving goalposts :slight_smile:

You can “make” a local Wi-Fi between devices, eg. That your iPhone friend can join
Also in Wi-Fi direct mode HTTP is not an issue

A good hex editor (though I don’t see one @ all on via F-Droid repo), something like the freeware (though not FOSS) Hxd.