What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

Hi guys!

My first post here.

Please, can some developer make us a minimalistic free app for image stacking. I have 1.jpg and 2.jpg on my Android device and want them to be merged either vertically or horizontally and become 3.jpg without further ado. Found tons of collage apps on Play that pretty much does this but they all contain ads.

I hate in-app advertising and want it clean. Right now I’m using Termux and ImageMagick i.e. when I want to put two images together I execute “magick 1.jpg 2.jpg +append 3.jpg” from command line. It’s very minimalistic and contain no ads but it’s sometime tough to write on phone keyboard, so I would be extremely happy for a simple GUI.

Gosh, I really hope some bored developer reads this and starts typing some neat Android code. It would mean the world to me. Have searched through FOSS but right now there’s nothing.

1 Like

Izzy’s repo has PhotoAffix :wink:

1 Like

Nice one, @Licaon_Kter.

F-Droid may benefit from additional image manipulation apps. Wondering if this one can be brought into F-Droid’s main repo? It’s afaik written in Kotlin, which according to wikipedia is fully interoperable with Java…

Feel free to open an issue upstream: GitHub - afollestad/photo-affix: 📷 Stitch your photos together vertically or horizontally easily!

A app like this one: https://apkpure.com/cell-spy-catcher-anti-spy/com.skibapps.cellspycatcher
Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skibapps.cellspycatcher
But totally FOSS and with no tracking or advertisment like ths app has.

1 Like

Np thanks for the link @Licaon_Kter, I’m not on Github yet, but may be soon. If someone else wants the image manipulation app on F-Droid then maybe they can open up the request.

At the moment, cannot even contact the ethical.org.au administrators re F-Droid inclusion of their app.

Correct me if I am wrong but the only thing that I think you need to worry about with those fake towers is if they cause your phone to overheat to the point of breaking. Therefore perhaps the best protection from fake towers is to use some kind of app that turns off your phone if the phone reaches a particular temperature? To keep your internet browsing and communications secure and private you might want to use Tor or i2p and encrypted messaging. This makes eaves dropping with fake towers pointless. If you use Bitcoin Core select the Tor option in the settings. If you need to use a regular browser for things like Internet Banking you may wish to disable Web Assembly that enables your browser to download pre-compiled code from servers (similar to Javascript there’s no telling what your device might do when running code someone else wrote, but Web Assembly enables pre-compiled code which likely makes it more dangerous than Javascript. Pre-compiled code downloaded from the internet that isn’t demonstrated to have been built from open-source, which also may have vulnerabilities, and/or may also connect you to cell towers and transmit information that you don’t want transmitted, may be a cause of general concern. Last I checked, Tor disables Web Assembly (wasm)).

Do correct me if any of the above points are not fully correct though, please.

Omg, you (and Izzy, of course) just made my so much easier, this app is exactly what I’ve been looking for. It’s pureness and minimalistic effectiveness is outstanding, THANKS!!

1 Like

No I’m not concerned about my internet usage. I thought this kind of towers can be used to find my exact location evan if I use a app like “Private Location” and that they could also be used to listen to my phone calls that are not with encrypted ip-telephony. Btw it’s not possible for me to use only ip-telephony, because there are people and agensis who does not have it and will probably never get it.

Hi fdroiddiordf !

Did you try to download pico tts from Aurora ?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.shallowmallow.pico

Did this version crash ?

If you ever want german from another source.

There’s

Someone could put it on f-droid.

I have also put flite on google app for now (easier for betas).
I have kind of a german voice that I can put in the program but before I have to do some modifcations

If someone is keen to help me improve flite (the android part), I’ll maybe put it on github before.

You can use Gmail with a browser, to limit the permissions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried eSpeak, the voice is robotic in English !

The dev (or builder) behind Pico and Flite Mimic is the same guy.

Something like SlimLauncher but available for all roms?

Flite has not been updated since 2016 on F-Droid… Is someone still working on improving it?

None of these are good enough? F-Droid Search: launcher

A new FOSS “Chinese Checkers”-game (with no permissions).
There is one in the F-Droid repo that has deleted it’s source-code from internet and has not updated since january 2013. I think F-Droid team should delete that one that is not open source any more and get a new one to the repo.

Measures audio frequency, with readouts to show if the belt is adjusted correctly, for given configurations.

This is exactly the version I tried with LineageOS16/Android 9 without GApps and it crashes. If there isn’t another TTS engine installed, it crashes the whole TTS settings page in Android’s settings app, too.

EDIT: I didn’t install any language for pico TTS.

For some years I tried it in German, and the voice is robotic, too.
But for me that is better than no TTS, crashing TTS apps like pico on Android 9 or TTS with GApps.

I am looking for a widget with which I can switch directly between two selected network types in LineageOS. Normally I switch from LTE back to GSM because of the power consumption. But this is hidden deep in the settings.

1 Like