What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

This Australian-based website and app, Shop Ethical, has been active for years to help people buy ethically at the grocer.

A link to the site showing how they provide valuable information on companies and brands within companies

Recently I tried visiting their website and noticed that they seem to respond to Tor traffic extremely slowly. It can take minutes, and often the request will simply timeout, thus making the website useless for shoppers that need fast, private, anonymous results in stores.

Their copyright page expressly says that the content on the website is a type of Copyleft CC license that seems to mirror the GPLv3 license with the addition that the original author is attributed in some way. Whether they have a similar policy for their app code I donā€™t know.

The app is only available on Apple and Google Play stores at this stage. I wonder if they will be interested in F-Droid? I may contact them at some point about this but donā€™t have time atm. If someone wants to beat me to the punch then please do so and maybe report back on how it goes.

I was introduced to the service over a decade ago by a family member. It is a respected institution and to have them join F-Droid would be a real boon for both F-Droid and Shop Ethical. The fact that the website is now so terrible to access over Tor means that being on F-Droid would enable more people who are perhaps more privacy-conscious to have access to the service, and access to knowledge that will enable better choices.

Itā€™s seems itā€™s owned by NestlĆ© S.A. !

They donā€™t have an Android app.

Where did you get that it is owned by Nestle?? The page I linked to shows their database entry for the Nestle corp. They gave Nestle an F rating, I believe that Nestle has always had an F rating on their website.

On this page there is a link to their android and apple app.

Yes, a TTS app would be great.
TTS for English, Gujrati Hindi, Marathi, Tamil and Telugu is already available within the app Flite TTS Engine.
For other language (for example, German, which is my mother tongue), it is not.
IMHO pico tts, which is open source and was a part of Android since some of the last releases, should be made available in F-Droid, compatible with new Android versions like 9+.

The main problem is, that in, for example, Android 9, TTS is a part of Google Apps and not from the AOSP.
If you donā€™t want to use GApps, (for example with LineageOS, like I do), you canā€™t use TTS with German language. Theoretically I could download a proprietary app from Google Play Store with Aurora, but I donā€™t want to do that. If I download a pico TTS build, it does not work and crashes if I try to access it through the settings.

Yes itā€™s OK sorry, the page was not clear.

Itā€™s info about NestlĆ©.

A AES-256-bit encrypted phone app with all functionalities of the preinstalled ā€œGoogle Phoneā€ app but with less permissions.
Most of all it should not have permission to: get GPS-/network-based position, use camera, send sticky broadcast, view network-/wifi-connections, send/recieve data from internet or have full network access. The phone app should be possible to select as ā€œstandard phone appā€ in app-settings and should be designed to work with the sms-app ā€œSilenceā€ as ā€œstandard sms appā€ (a con of that is that you donā€™t have to build in a extra sms-app in the phone app or create one extra sms-app that is designed to work with the phone app, instead of the preinstalled ā€œGoogle messangesā€).
It should also have the setting-features of ā€œGoogle Phoneā€, for example to hide/show your number in calls and to choose between activating one kind of network, for example just 2G or all networks together, 2G, 3G, 4G, & 5G (if your phone supports 5G).

1 Like

A open source ā€œAPKPureā€ app in the F-Droid repo.
This is the free app ā€œAPKPureā€: https://apkpure.com/apkpure-app.html?icn=aegon&ici=text-nav

Itā€™s opensource?

APKUpdater is open source, but not sure if developed anymore.

I found APKUpdater but it has not been updated since july 13,2017.
Link: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/rumboalla/apkupdater/
Is there no other FOSS with apkPure updates?

If the answer is no: Could someone create a app that updates only apkPure apps? All apps I use from apkPure exist in ā€œGoogle Play Storeā€, but the main reason I donā€™t use Yalp or any other app that updates apps from ā€œGoogle Play Storeā€ is that I do not want to have to use google features in my phone when I use the app! Thatā€™s why I prefer getting these apps just from ā€œapkPureā€, that is the only apk-site that has nearly every app from ā€œGoogle Play Storeā€ as apks on their site.
Maybe someone working for F-Droid could try to contact the owners of apkPure and ask if they can give out the source code from the apkPure app? Iā€™ve already tried to ask them myself but they never answerd me.

And you donā€™t want to use AuroraStore because? There are no ā€œgoogle featuresā€ in itā€¦ not sure what you meanā€¦

I didnā€™t know about Aurora yet. Does it connect to a ā€œGoogle Play Storeā€ repo to update/insall apks or has it itā€™s own service completly without connecting to google?

It downloads from Google directlyā€¦is that an issue?

that totally depends on what information google might get about my phone exept for ip-adress.
Does google get anything else, like phone status, MAC-adress or location? Do you know that Liacon?

It will get your device info, model and Android version at least, since it depends on that to get the proper APKs. Now, you can ā€œspoofā€ some other devices in Settings, eg. lie that you have a Pixel 2 and still get apps.

Okay, with the spoof it seams quite nice. Thanks for the tip.

After I installed ā€œAurora Storeā€ I detected two problems with it:

1. It requested my mock location.
    2(the major probem). I need to log in with a G-Mail to use it! Just like fucking ā€œPlay Storeā€.
    I donā€™t have a G-mail and I donā€™t want to have it.
    So I still wonder if some one could create a new FOSS-store-app for just ā€œapkPureā€ instead? please try to if itā€™s possible!

You are so quick to post hereā€¦better use this time to look at the app insteadā€¦

Near Google account thereā€™s an ā€œAnonymousā€ buttonā€¦press it :slight_smile:

Now, that being said, there were issues generating a ā€œtokenā€ for this anon ID, see their Gitlabā€¦but when it worksā€¦it works without Google Services or accounts.

2 Likes

I saw the ā€œAnonymousā€ button but something went wrong when I pressed it last time. Because the app was asking for a g-mail anyway. But I gave it another try after reading your post and now it worked & in the settings I was also able to spoof location. So now it works great.

@tip main tokenizer server is down. You must change it ā†’ Anonymous login failed, try again later! (#188) Ā· Issues Ā· Aurora OSS / AuroraStore Ā· GitLab