What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

I’m using LineageOS 15.1.

It would be good to have a server app for RDP or VNC with encryption, so you can control your smartphone via a computer. (I know that it is possible to control an Android device via adb and scrcpy, but shouldn’t where be another solution with a more common protocol, encryption and so on?)

What about Bleachbit?
https://www.bleachbit.org
& shred command via the terminal?

1 Like

a database app for collecting and entering data

Very true.
Also, a lightweight app for handling spreadsheets is missing.

PS: LaTeX editor is also missing.

Markor does KaTeX expressions last I heard.

Orgzly is probably the closest thing, but yes, something forms-based, where you can design your own forms, would be great. Integrate barcode scanning and it could be fantastic.

1 Like

Anntivirus are trash, especially on android. Among antivirus apps I examined, only Norton could give some details about privacy infringing apps. Others are crap – they just monitor what is going on in your phone.
Common sense is better than any antivirus. Especially I used to double check about dev while installing from play store, and stayed away from ad filled apps. Now I have abandoned play store completely.

2 Likes

Termux + wget with proper options. Can even download select format files from entire websites.

Simple draw may work.

Termux can do it just like you do on CLI.
Or get a dev workspace on AWS / Codenvy and ssh to it using connectbot.

You are either pretty noob to fdroid or biased.

Use terminal for that, busybox, gpgv-static.

• Download Manager – Aria2 is a nice CLI option, and bromite works fine with parallel download disabled under flags. Still there should have been a better option.

• Tools for rooting the phone – Many users do not have PC to root the phone. All existing “one click root apps” are trash.

• a root ecosystem – We all perhaps have Linux knowledge and create a better one than most UI things on XDA.

• A native toolchain for building ROMs would be fine. Think one can do it with termux.

• IDE apps – seriously, non-techie users are likely to prefer worst options on play store to learn programming, mainly being afraid of CLI such as termux.

• A server implementation like “SSHelper” – actually SSHelper is GPL, source available in a tarball. Why not build it?

1 Like

If you’re using a good OS and recovery you can simply download and flash a zip file. No need for a computer or an app.

Problem is about 2nd tier i.e nonstandard phones.

• We all perhaps have Linux knowledge and create a better one than most UI things on XDA.

:scream: I want to see the world you live in!

• A native toolchain for building ROMs would be fine. Think one can do it with termux.
  • IDE apps – seriously, non-techie users are likely to prefer worst options on play store to learn programming, mainly being afraid of CLI such as termux.

Could you describe your Android “workstation” you want to run IDE and build ROMs on? Just wonder…

1 Like

Could you give more details?

What phone/recovery/rom you use?

yes but apk needs rebuild for arm64…

jic, I’ve uploaded github/autostarts, “refactored” via android studio (+debug flavor & english only) here : https://bitbucket.org/oF2pks/autostartsg/src/aa9382738a6a?at=master ; how can this be processed by fdroid server ?

What are your thoughts about open source (Google/Jigsaw) Intra, do we have a floss alternative on fdroid ?

https://github.com/Jigsaw-Code/Intra/search?q=firebase&unscoped_q=firebase & εxodus