What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

A FOSS electric vehicle charge point map.

@cliffcoggin
Is https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.vonforst.evmap/ not good enough?

It’s not ideal in that it requires location permission. If I accept such a requirement I might as well continue with the commercial Zapmap which is more up to date with the current status of charging stations.

It didn’t ask me for location permission… works anyway.

Backgammon (Other games like Chess and Checkers exist on F-Droid, but not this popular one also known as Shesh Besh in the Middle East. Offline mode would be fantastic against a computer with various levels of difficulty along with no permissions for install either)

Tip Calculator (This is a necessity when out and about at restaurants. PalmCalc 2019+ doesn’t cut it from being inaccurate)

============================================================================
Optional Gaming Suggestions after seeing the successful launch of Vector Pinball:

Bowling (Includes Candlepin, Duckpin or Ten-Pin Modes)

Cue Sports (Includes Pool for Eight-Ball, Nine-Ball, Ten-Ball etc)

Shuffleboard (FlickIt incorporates components of it, but the standalone game itself doesn’t exist on F-Droid. I’m referring to the Bar Table Version found at places like The Upstairs At 66 not the Court Stick Version at Royal Palms Brooklyn)

Air Hockey (Like Ping Pong, but more stimulating to the brain from design layout)

Skee-Ball (I would imagine this could be built similar to Bowling, but with a different interactive background)

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Bloatware free stock device options

No clue if this topic is even still about the same subject but…

I am missing an app to find duplicate files so I can delete all files on internal storage that I also have on my SD card.

And I think something that shows me a random file and asks me if I want to keep it or not will also help to clean up my phone a lot (would “game-ify” cleaning up).

1 Like

I don’t know about any app that can do that. But I know one working in console: https://github.com/Zackptg5/Cross-Compiled-Binaries-Android/issues/87

Updates:

Woah, this seems to be based on this foss app itself :laughing: (recently found)

Found several updated or better apps for covering the basic functionalities:

Apps from izzyondroid repo:

Still missing: dictionary, touch blocker, screen text copier
(missing as in actually needing them often and wanting to be FOSS; not just a theoretical consideration):

dictionary:

& Fennec or Mull Search Engine

Enlarge photo.
Very simple task but I had to use outside programs to enlarge photo.
All fdroid applications only offer crop.
It probably has more sense to add this functionality to already available apps such as simple gallery that has resize option, but enlarge doesn’t work.

What’s the point of “enlarge” ? You can’t get more detail…

Also did you try SuperImage | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository yet? :slight_smile:

try Simple Tools - Simple Gallery Pro:

It has an option in settings “Allow deep zooming images” which allows you to enlarge the fine details of an image.

1 Like

I search a way to use AndroidAuto with Lineageos.

@Mannshoch
you have to flash a full Google apps package, it is completely proprietary and gains wide privileged access.

there is no possible way yet to use it via eg. microG or Sandboxed Play.

Is the whole Android API a close protocol Without possibility to have your own Implementation?

Street­Complete | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository has a non-free utility that uses google augmented reality to measure e.g. the width of streets: GitHub - streetcomplete/StreetMeasure: Measure distances with AR

Are there apps with similar features?

May I suggest a player app for Rumble ? Rumble has been around for years now but their player app is complete garbage. After these years it is clear Rumble will keep sabotaging their site with their piece of shit player app. Their player is the single reason I can not use Rumble. I have no problems logging into the player app/Rumble account if someone makes a “overlay” with a functional player.

Is there an open source alternative for Google Lens? I know there is “Identify Dog Breeds Pro”, but it’s only for dog breeds…

Is there any app for data transfer, packet radio, pocsag with softmodem support for hams and non-hams?