What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

1. Video Player
    I could not find VLC anymore at f-droid. But its available on there website with latest version 3.0.1.

Usually Gallery applications support playback of most formats, e.g. Leafpic, Simple mobile gallery. I personally do take VLC from their website and also use a small app that is based around the newer Exo media framework, but that’s yet only in private use and not really big in term of functions etc.

1. Download Manager
    a download manager is missing piece jewel at f-droid. Maybe uGet could be an option which is Aria2 based.

There are a lot of Torrent clients available if you mean that, e.g. Transdrone. For others downloads the android builtin download manager + request from apps/browsers is quite good.

1. 2FA
    Something like authy with password protection.
    There is one but it seems to have bug. To view codes all I have to enter no password. The process crash and open unlocked.

I use andOtp and previously FreeOtp. The former does allow multiple auth for getting codes.

3.File Manager
A rich feature file manager is also missing.

Amaze.

1 Like

I miss an app like “officelense” or gscam.
“Open Note Scanner” is not really an alternative.

2 Likes

What should be nice is to have a Qbitorrent for Android :slight_smile:

Is there a foss app for smart lock?

this function is done at system level hence can’t be done with app. Sorry

I already open a specific topic but perhaps developers are more looking in this one to get idea…

I miss an app to do SMS group. To permit people without internet to be able to be part of a group communication.
All group app that I know use MMS (need internet) or directly internet.
(The only-one that I fund doing this is “groupme” a Microsoft app :grimacing: )

Here, the specific topic : Groupme alternative

I search for an app which can show me appointment and dates on my LOS lockscreen.

Something I’ve been missing is a way to create and build/run simple apps using no other resources than the device itself, either in Python or in Java.

I suggest Lua as most suitable. Intro and video: http://www.londonlua.org/androlua/index.html , my humble repo: https://github.com/ildar/AndroLua
Though I’m sure there must be something similar with Python.

@Ildar Thanks for the suggestion. That app doesn’t appear to be in the F-Droid main repository though?

Another thing I miss - a lightweight app to interact with this forum!

There is Java N-IDE for Java. Not sure if it’s fully open source. Sadly it’s unmaintained.

Also, there is Pascal IDE from the same developer.

As for Python, you can use QPython.

1 Like

I detected the Playstore App “Quizduell” I wish an App which use the Question/Answer Data from https://www.kwdb.ch and generate something similar.
This Database seems has Problems at moment to get enough maintenance.

Beside the normal Questions which allows fighting against Friends, I like the Quality Questions this app asks about the Duell Questions. That improve the Questions also.

I think I found a jewel:smile:
Today new version 1.14

There is an Android version, so the code is somewhere in this repo, GPL2.
Go guys…

2 Likes

I really like to have read it later apps like Pocket and Instapaper.I don’t know if there is any open source apps like these.

@wuijbfek , isn’t Firefox ok for that?

“Save for Offline” exists and is in F-Droid.

Bonjour,

Pour ma part, il me manque sur F-Droid une application pour gérer le contenu d’un ou plusieurs congélateurs domestiques.
Beaucoup de fonctionnalités sympas pourraient y être ajoutées : différentes formes de trie, alertes lorsque la date limite de consommation approche, scanner de code-barre, récupération partielle de la fiche produit sur openfoodfacts.org, etc.

Hello,

For my part, I miss on F-Droid an application to manage the contents of one or more domestic freezers.
Many cool features could be added: different forms of sorting, alerts when the deadline of consumption approaches, barcode scanner, partial recovery of the product sheet on openfoodfacts.org, etc.

Google gave recently to the community a IO library for connected objects.

Thanks for your suggestion.But this app saves the whole web page.Cant save articles from web like Pocket or Instapaper.

An equalizer app like Nooxoide.