TWIF submission thread

@Coffee Yop Coffee, I released Bible Multi “The Light” v3.5:

• Portuguese version
• Portuguese Bible: Almeida Corrigida Fiel

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

if next twif is not out yet: please postpone twif-inclusion until 2.0.17 "Generate zip-subfolders below" may cause crashes · Issue #15 · k3b/ToGoZip · GitHub is solved

for the app update news:

ToGoZip ('==> Zip') | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository allows to send
files (i.e. jpg-photos or mp3-music) or text (i.e. urls) to one predefined zip file by
adding “Add To Zip” to android’s share/send menu.

Version 2.0.17 adds send/view/edit/delete of zip file to Settings-Menu and
adds optional support for automatic zip-subfolder discovery.

2 Likes

OpenTopoMap Viewer has been updated. It removes a big bug that causes the crash of the app when opening a gpx file. You can now display your tracks easily in the map since it has been corrected !

Issue here. I don’t know if it’s worth the price to mention this update, but the author has corrected the bug very quickly and tagged a new release ASAP, it was very impressive, I love developers like that ! :wink:

2 Likes
* **[Conversations](https://f-droid.org/app/eu.siacs.conversations)** & **[Quicksy](https://f-droid.org/app/im.quicksy.client)** Just a point release since TWIF 34, but 2.3.10+fcr has some nice improvements:
  * Synchronize group chat join/leaves across multiple clients
  * Fixed sending PGP encrypted messages from quick reply
  * Try to guess initial location in ShareLocation based on SIM card 
  * Show a warning snackbar before joining anon-non-private room (maybe you don't want your JID to be public)
  * Show accept button to confirm SASL downgrade (eg. server reconfigured)

But the big news is that thanks to the work of [Alex Palaistras](https://github.com/deuill) the minimum required Android version was lowered to Android 4.1, so users who don't have Android 4.4 (or newer) and users of Jolla/Blackberry devices that have limited Android compatibility, which were stuck on Conversations 1.23.8 or that switched to [Conversations Legacy](https://f-droid.org/app/eu.siacs.conversations.legacy), can now get up to date with the latest Conversations (and Quicksy) versions. That being said, be sure to read the whole [changelog](https://github.com/siacs/Conversations/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md) between 1.23.x and 2.3.10 so you don't get surprised of the new stuff (removed swipe, removed OTR, so on and so forth).
1 Like

As you can see here, we moved AddressToGPS to the archive. The explanation of why it doesn’t work anymore can be found here. It’s good example of why we shouldn’t use Google services and also an example of how they can break everything very easily… You could maybe put two lines in the next TWIF to explain this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please find attached three diagrams of a recently (today) added app.

I send these diagrams to address what I perceive as a current shortcoming: Apps are not easy to find in F-Droid. And the (meanwhile not so new) “New UI / UX of F-Droid app” did just make it much worse for me.

The diagrams allow to find apps with similar descriptions and relatively quickly check some characterisics.
The diagrams potentially help both users and developers: e.g. allow to find previous work to use or build on (avoid duplicate work/find collaborators), find app alternatives, check apps based on android permissions or antifeatures.

The script that generated the diagrams is available at gitlab (see thread [app_match.R - find similar apps on f-droid by similarity of their descriptions]).

The first diagram shows the most important (*) matching terms:

(*) of course these are secret;^)

The second diagram shows a little more description:

The third diagram shows antifeatures/permissions:

I hope these type of diagrams provide value to TWIF readers (or the website:)

1 Like

We need someone to write this weeks TWIF. Any takers?

When should this be submitted? Thursday?

Etar update, please announce that we dropped the widget. People can use Calendar Widget for now: Todo Agenda for Android 4 - 7.0 | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository. Help to fix the widget is welcome. Release announcement: Release v1.0.14: Release new 1.0.14 version (#362) · Etar-Group/Etar-Calendar · GitHub

@izzy’s php-fdroid library is now an official part of the F-Droid software offering: F-Droid / php-fdroid · GitLab Contributions welcome for adding support for index-v1.json and signature verification of index-v1.jar. We already have Java, Python, and Ruby code for doing this, so it should be easy to do.

4 Likes

If possible, without breaking existing stuff :rofl:

I’ve already started some preparations (not yet checked-in as not ready even for that). So please give me a hint whoever plans to help out, so we can coordinate. Thanks!

I try to have it ready so people can read it in the weekend, but the track record on that is pretty bad, for various reasons :confused:

Thursday is “freeze day” when I take a snapshot of the index, compare it to the previous snapshot, and start writing the descriptions. Of course, it should then be submitted ASAP, because the index could update again and make the descriptions outdated.

So, to answer your question: Thursday is great, Friday is good, and Saturday is probably still okay.

As I wrote on mastodon, kuketz-blog.de blogged about the app Blokada and mentioned FDroid in the article.
Here is a link to the blog post: Blokada: Tracking und Werbung unter Android unterbinden ⋆ Kuketz IT-Security Blog (the article is in German).

@Licaon_Kter so does this mean we can count on you to do this week’s twif? Or were you asking for a different reason?

Well, if there’s no one else… :smiley:

I won’t have time for it until maybe Monday. :frowning:

While reading changelogs for 80 apps for twif38, a certain “retired, a morris musician and an itinerant developer” was really popping up all the time: F-Droid Search: billthefarmer

As a thought, for a future TWIF or maybe a stand alone post, how would an (mini)interview of sorts sound like? The dev has, as you can see, 10 apps in this store (and not on others!?), and he keeps them updated, has enough issues and PRs, etc.

5 Likes

@BillF (I suppose) what do you think? I think it’d be great, especially if you’ve something to say. :wink::bowing_man:

Whoooaaaaa didn’t think to search :smile: :blush:

1 Like

I don’t mind doing an interview, it depends on the questions. I am a crusty old git who cut his teeth on PDP11s, Whitesmiths C, paper tape and 8" floppy disks back in the dark ages. :smirk:

4 Likes