• MTProto Proxy support
  • Emoji-Sticker suggestions
  • Multi-shot sending
  • Auto-Night mode
  • Streaming for videos
  • Telegram Passport
2 Likes

Hello,
Would it be possible to mention the failed attempt at a FOSS Mattermost build in the next TWIF? (Because it now needs some support from the FOSS community.)

3 Likes

I think the DRM issue & discussion @ DRM in all apps? has reached enough significance for a TWIF topic, @ least as a mention. I dunno if it’d be considered off-topic. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@TPS That thread is pretty messy, and the general consensus seems to be that there is not a problem (yet). I don’t feel I understand the issue well enough to write something on it, but if someone has a recent writeup on the issue and the latest developments, I can link to that.

1 Like

TWIF: voting for fennec icon is open: [Poll] Vote on new icon for Fennec - #2 by Nuntius

Should get an end date though, maybe a week after the twif announcement? @Nuntius what do you think?

Agreed. That would be the 25th of August? Is that okay?

Edit: I’ll close in manually then, don’t wanna fiddle with the automatic closure now.

1 Like

+1 for Mattermost

-1 for DRM (for now)

1 Like

@Coffee Any chance you cut down on the filler text? what is fdroid/how to submit to twif/etc

Just to let everybody know, I will be making next week’s TWIF as @Coffee is on vacation. Tell him thank you for the last 16 weeks of TWIF if you get the chance.

As this will be my first TWIF please don’t judge if it doesn’t live up to the high bar set by @Coffee. And be sure and submit any and all interesting things from the week.

Happy Hacking!

One idea for the future: Include app icons in TWIF. The index parsing code is already there for the website build, it’s probably not too hard to write some jekyll magic that inserts the app icon and possibly even an abbreviated version of the “what’s new” section from the index if you give it an appid.

But that’s wishful thinking for now.

1 Like

for the app update news:

“A Photo Manager” the gallery app with tag support and powerfull Openstreetmap integration has a major update to 0.7.0 with new icons.
Improvements: To find photos you can use the new “search-bar”, a date-picker or pick “virtual albums” from folder-picker or any filemanager.
Next week there will be a bugfix release 0.7.1 that will fix the broken “show in new gallery/map”

This week both OSMAnd and Maps have been a major update: osmand release 3.1: Blog | OsmAnd

And for maps at least openstreetmap login has been fixed, can’t find a changelog currently.

1 Like

Several of the microG apps were updated this week.

• microG Services Core: Bumps faked Google Play Services version to 12.8.79; fixes GCM push notifications for some apps; various fixes for Android Oreo.
  • microG Services Framework Proxy: minor bug fix.
1 Like

In the official F-Droid repo? microg has a separate one…

Maybe. Do you have more specific suggestions than that? Does anyone else think it’s too much?

Not sure, but latest ones added all sorts of info

• Highlights/In this edition: feels redundant
  • Decentralized Index Generation: nothing to write about yet(!?)
  • Send tips to…and then again Feedback…have kinda the same content.

(yes I know you @Coffee didn’t write the last one though :D)

While this looks fine on a monitor, I guess most would/might (stats?) read it on a mobile device, where all that fluff text ends up scrolled…and scrolled…and so on

This makes the news page look a lot better though. It also helps people quickly decide if there’s anything interesting for them to read in there before scrolling down, especially on a mobile device. :slight_smile:

I’ll have PRs ready soon which will improve things even further by respecting the cutmarks.

Maybe there’s nothing of value to you in that section, and that’s okay. It can be valuable to others though. For example, it gets the word out that we’re thinking in that direction, and people who are specialized or interested in this can contact us and get involved at an early stage.

That’s a good point. I’ll have a think about how to rework that into something more unified and compact.

1 Like

Yes, it is a separate repo. But I thought it still might be worth mentioning as part of the “greater F-droid community”. I use microG and love it (mainly for free, privacy respecting, network location services) but it also lets me use my bank’s (nonfree) app from GPlay without Google Services installed on my device.

1 Like

Since it’s for root only devices, makes it even more niche than F-Droid users are already :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know it is very niche. However, their custom build of LineageOS comes with F-Droid and the privileged extension by default. I feel they have something quite useful to offer the F-droid community. microG is the only free software, privacy respecting implementation of network based location services that I know of and they actively promote F-Droid by preinstalling for their users.

Also, root isn’t necessary if microG is installed as a system app. In fact root isn’t available on the default builds so that people have the choice of installing the su binary or not.

3 Likes