Simple Mobile apps update

Thanks from me too. A donation will be forthcoming.

1 Like

The description on the F-Droid apps page for Simple SMS Messenger is now inaccurate.
i.e. ā€œContains no ads or unnecessary permissions. It is fully opensource, provides customizable colors.ā€

ZipoApps has bought Simple Mobile Tools, so if it has not been done already, it is time to review any apps on F-Droid developed by Simple Mobile Tools.

1 Like

See this:

The offered apps are cleanā€¦ look at the publish date and then look at the ZipoApps news date.

Whatever happened later does not concern THESE versions.

1 Like

I was delighted to find this thread, I had no idea the Simple Mobile Tools apps had been sold. Iā€™ve updated Calendar to the Fossify app and all works well.

Iā€™m wondering if anyone knows if Fossify intend to release a version of Simple Notes?

soon I guess Availability on F-Droid Ā· FossifyOrg Ā· Discussion #9 Ā· GitHub

Things are going stupid in google play with everything wanting a subscription for their apps! I used to use Simple Contacts because it was originally free and was just a no frills contact manager. I had an issue with it where it gave me an error saving a contact so I thought no big deal I would just uninstall and reinstallā€¦ Well when I went to reinstall I found they wanted $15 ā€” get thisā€¦ A WEEK for a subscription. So a 1-star review later telling them they could keep their app and I found F-Droid and installed a free contact app from there. THANK YOU again! This is awesome.

3 Likes

Yes, the simple mobile tools recently got sold to a shady company, breaking their promise to the users. That caused quite some discussion, see the thread Simple Mobile apps update - #62 by jnkmbx

But there are now the Fossify apps, which are a community continuation of the last free versions of the simple apps. Look for Fossify Contacts.

$15 per week ($630 per year? O_o) for a contacts app sounds indeed ridiculus. But F-Droid is not about gratis apps, itā€™s about freedom. Four freedoms, actually: What is Free Software? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

BTW, thanks a lot for mentioning F-Droid in reviews on Google Play! I think Simple Mobile Tools case can make a lot of people think about their rights regarding software.

3 Likes

Thank you. I just switched from Simple Dialer to Emerald Dialer. Simple Dialer now has built-in advertisings, but still no anti-features listed for the app.

Thank you, this requires staff attention, see my first post at f-droid.

Thank s for sharing, i just come to look for this.

What does ā€œbreaking their promise to the usersā€ mean? Had they promised not to sell?

Fossify Music Player
Released

Currently available in Izzy Repo

In F-Droid Repo available on upcoming days.

If you are using Simple Mobile Tools Apps, start using Fossify Apps

Fossify Ā· GitHub

2 Likes

Start multiple quoting in one reply please.

1 Like

I was editing a photo with the foss replacement for simple mobile tools camera app. When I clicked save it said ā€œyou are using a fake version of the app, please download the originalā€ or similar words. I clicked OK to see what will happen,it went to the google playstore login page.

I donā€™t have a google account.
I canā€™t save the edit, had to copy to PC to edit. Has anyone had this? Is there a way around it? I uninstalled the simple mobile tools version just after installing the replacement

EDIT Solved got update. Update is not in fdroid client, not mine anyway, had to get apk

@Oakston

Where did you get that app? Fossify has not released their version of Camera yet

1 Like

yes, as this whole thread says: ā€œno more updates since the apps got bought and injected with ads and whatever elseā€ as you saw for yourself.

Never get random APKsā€¦ NEVERā€¦

3 Likes