Osmand~ rendering is incredibly slow

Is anyone else experiencing major slowness in OsmAnd~ displaying map.

From startup it takes about 8 seconds to display the map tiles (I hope I am using the right term), before that you just get an empty map area.

Scrolling around or zooming out to show a wider area (more new tiles) takes just as long at about 7 to 8 seconds per new tiles you come to.

It makes OsmAnd~ very hard to use.

The version being used is 2.9.3

This is something I recall happening previously with the f-droid specific version of OsmAnd

1 Like

Is this related? Osmand 2.9.3 slow ("Failed to load 'Qt5Core'") (#1182) · Issues · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

1 Like

Yes, now that you point it out. Route calculation is incredibly slow

I am running Lineage OS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2)

The workaround mentioned does not match what I have, developer options was off and when enabled OpenGL rendering is not on.

Have you checked with the official osmand release from google play (or in the issue there is a direct apk download linked as well.) if it experiences the same behaviour?

You could try Maps: https://f-droid.org/packages/com.github.axet.maps/

This is a fork of Maps.me removing the gazillion trackers present in the upstream project.

You should be able to upload screenshots and small videos here. A logcat output comparing the two builds might be helpful as well.

I’ve updated to 3.0 version on F-droid and it is a little improved but scrolling / rendering times are still about 3-5 seconds compared to 8 in the previous version

Yup, no (visible) change for me either. :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.