New UI / UX of F-Droid app

While I’m sure we are all excited for @Bubu’s fork of the old UI, I am announcing a still in development fork of the NEW F-Droid UI.

This fork aims to ultimately address the following issues:

• (complete) Updates tab is mostly blank by default
  • (complete) Updates tab does not reveal any information about the updates (only what apps can be updated)
  • (roadmap) Installed apps are hard to find
  • (roadmap)The shapes of the apps in the Latest tab have no significance

Feel free to grab the code on Gitlab and fork again. Also, any contributions that would be accepted by F-Droid should be directed upstream as my fork is a soft fork and intends to track continued development of the official F-Droid client.

4 Likes

@blendergeek Does

mean that some of your innovations/improvements would also be submitted upstream, to be possibly included in official client?

If I write something that I think upstream will accept, I will submit it there rather than on my fork. But so far they have rejected the one patch I made because it didn’t fall into their vision.

1 Like

Great work ! :sunny:thank you.

Maybe I get lucky?

:smiley:

1 Like

For your interest, there is also another F-Droid client called M-Droid just here (download available via the release section) but it doesn’t work for me…

Would it be too “meta” to include it in F-Droid? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

:open_mouth: I’d no idea that there were so many F-Droid clients! Maybe start w/ another wiki topic here on Forum linking to all known/proposed/WIP F-Droid clients?

& then RFP from there, as clients come to release?

Please answer an old man’s question. I just downloaded this. Is there any positive guarantee that the apps within all these repos on M Droid safe? It’s a foolish question but humor me.

The apps come from the repos, the same repos you can add to F-Droid in the first place. Check their addresses :wink:

I appreciate the reply. I understand about repos. I have the Guardian Project, Briar Project and, of course, Izzy’s :smile: already. So the take away: F-Droid repos have been okayed by F-Droid. [You children must think I’m senile. In another 94 years I may well be. Always the humor…)

Good idea yeah :smiley:
I hope it’ll work for other people than me !

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

(Since New UI / UX of F-Droid app is closed I try here : )
@Bubu @Izzy @hans I’ve added basic Shortcut & Tile (7.1/api25 min) to F-Droid_client (1.5a2), I thought it may solve missing classic “feeling” with a straight “classic” access to Settings/ManageInstalledApps basic list (?).

jic, I’ve uploaded a (null)signed fdroid.apk edition with diff/commit here Tags · oF2pks / Fdroidclient · GitLab
EDIT added debug with large heap

screenshot : Support Android 7.1+ App Shortcuts (#1248) · Issues · F-Droid / Client · GitLab

(btw, If you have a GSI/Treble compatible device, latest phhusson’s Pie system.img, with full @ale5000 implementation of microG is available here [AOSP 9.0.0_r50][v121] microG ufOfficial (cve Nov ?, 2019) arm32/64 | XDA Forums Included is old UI upgradable&downgradable 0.102)

I also wonder if future editions of fdroidClient could take advantage of some “augmented” priv-app permission (and thus installed as /system/priv-app pre-signed apk when ro.control_privapp_permissions=enforce) ?

(seems no one interested by shortcuts and notification fdroid tile ?!)

For the fun, also added longClick in general AppCardController and one icon/menu in AppDetailsActivity to launch browser straight to “Search results for '' - F-Droid Forum”+app.name

@Licaon_Kter , I was referring to these icon/menu in top/AppDetailsActivity (details2.xml) to add a [report] button, but that also suppose a link to 2 threads ( 1 for paid & 1 for other specifics: root, read_logs or foss trackers… ) which would be always open on fdroid forum, and with anonymous reply possibility (?). This way, it would create some dynamics between the client app and the forum.

Thanks. These all make true sense now :wink:

I’m still on demand with such classic client, any news ?

I stll have a lot of ideas for this and want to continue there. Unfortunately I have had very little to no time for this project lately. :-/

1 Like

I first believed fdroid client could move to SharedUser Id (with privileged ext) which always break upgrading process; thx to @hans explanation it won’t:

F-Droid and Privileged Extension should be as isolated from each other
as possible to better enforce the security limitations. They should
always be signed by separate keys, with Privileged Extension signed by
the ROM and F-Droid signed by an app key. If you are shipping the
official F-Droid builds, then it must ship with the F-Droid signature.

, so 102.3 old signed version is still fine, for now, as a prebuilt in rom; will add privileged ext in my next microG Treble rom