New UI / UX of F-Droid app

@Izzy No offense meant to you, either, as you seem somewhat in the same position as I — understanding that there’s an impressive amount of work behind all these “small” (hrmph) requests, without being any kind of Android dev, & so are willing to give a lot of latitude to those that do all this. :bowing_man:

I submit that another thing we motivated non-devs can is encourage those that can to do when they haven’t. It’s a reason why you run a repo, & we (& those like us) encourage devs to be published via F-Droid & perhaps can also persuade those (or others) to work on F-Droid itself (or related projects, like these RFEs).

@TPS sure: if I meet a UI dev with idle time, I know what task to recommend :rofl:

1 Like

Hi there again. A few things would make life with the new UI much better:
On the App Details page there is no indication of what version of an app is installed (and if there are updates, there is no indication of the updated version number). It is possible to get the information if you unfold the version list (unless your installed version number is older than the list shown) but it is rather tricky to find out. This used to be much better shown in the old UI. It is a rather small detail, but one that annoys me often :smiley:

1 Like

More than a year has passed since the introduction of the New UI / UX so it seems legitimate to ask:

How has it worked out?

More specifically, what is the effect on the download numbers/traffic of the FDroid.apk itself and the downloaded applications?

2 Likes

That could have been my words! I have a group of people here who got their smartphone from me without google but with fdroid. I showed all of them the Fdroid-app with the new UI und got them to try it. All 7 rejected the new UI. They all had no difficulties with the app-version 0.102.3. So: what is the advantage of the new UI. It looks better?

Proposal: offer both versions of the app. Version 0102.3 for “old” people and the version above 1.0 for those who like a modern look and everything “automatic=on” …

Spielmops

3 Likes

There isn’t any advantage. It’s just a bunch of wanna-be GUI script-kiddies who somehow got the idea that they actually know anything about designing a GUI showing their basic ignorance of the subject,just like Gnome 3 crowd does.

For custom roms purpose (embedded prebuilt app in /system/app), is it possible to have an official signed release 0.102.3 with ACRA removed ?
So end-users could upgrade to latest new one, use it, and decide whether to downgrade back or not.

What ahs ACRA got to do with any of this :thinking:?

1 Like

I thought nobody cares anymore about crashlogs from an “old” 0.102.3 ? And it would be an easy start for devs who want to start a ‘light’ fdroid fork.

btw, is it possible to have access to these anonymous crashlogs sent to reports_ @f-droid.org ?

And I also looking for specific info about gapps : considering that official Google Play Services (pre-installed gms) has android.permission.READ_LOGS on, as a /system app, does it means that Google can read/scan “all” apps’ logs including fdroid acra ?

Thanks for helping.

(EDIT acra can be disabled in F-Droid/Settings/Privacy since version 1.3-alpha3 (2018-06-27) and up ?)

Apps installed as System can do whatever they want, it’s recommended to disable them (can you?).

This topic isn’t about blaming the devs! They can do and they do whta they want to. Some guys try to check out possibilities for keeping a clean and functional UI.

This discussion is going on for a long time now and there seems to be no step further. Still using the 0.102 and the errors getting more:

• update-process isn’t working properly anymore (does the app with the new UI works :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ?) => need to close app the hard way
  • some text-fragments appear

So not long ago I will have to say good-bye to the app and update apps manually - I will!

Really? Is that hard to use the (arguably now) new layout?

it is.

I gave it multiple tries. Installed each official version and numerous alpha versions in between and found myself almost immediately returning to 0.102.3.

3 Likes

That was in May 2017. How does it look today? In my classes, I still see people getting confused, while they easily find their way in .102. And that includes me (also getting confused and often don’t find the details I’m after – see next point, and also see “where to find the apps I’ve installed”.

That also was in May 2017 – and that detail is still missing. I find this information almost crucial whenever one includes a third party repo. And even more especially when there are cross-overs of apps (i.e. the same package name exists in more than one repo). How shall people know which updates to accept – before they hit the download button and, a while later, get the information of a signature mismatch? Easy with .102 – but impossible with the new UI.

TBH, I’ve taken a look at the new UI a couple of times now. Always went back to .102. True, no screenshots in .102, and some other things might be missing as well. But I feel it much easier to work with.

Oh, that comes in handy from time to time:

• me “on the road”, needing an app on my personal phone which is installed on my business phone.
  • me in my classes, having an easy way to send an app to my students even if there’s no internet (and even if there is, often it’s easier to send them an app directly than having them search for it)
  • somewhere in the blog there’s the “Cuban story”: Internet in Cuba is flaky at best, so they can use F-Droid to “spread apps”.

Certainly there are a lot of more “bullet points”, but the above where what came to my mind immediately :wink:

@Izzy Have you been able to ɑ-test @Bubu’s F-Droid Classic? (I’ve no idea whether there’s even a binary yet — indeed, I doubt it, cuz you’d certainly have it in your repo!)

In the device launcher maybe?

Updates are NOT OFFERED with different signatures, not an issue (maybe it was like this in 2017? I can’t tell)

At one point I’ve argued that I’d like SWAP and Installed apps…swapped…but at the same time:

• SWAP was tested in countries with bad internet, censored internet and such, it makes sense there
  • comments about SWAP are from users NOT in those countries, that have a good enough internet connection making SWAP useless (except that one time…)
  • (connected to the first question above) I never go to “Installed Apps” actually… but I was checking it a lot before 1.3.1 since the “ghost apps” bug was a thing, else…nope…not really…

I certainly will do as soon as it’s available (currently there’s not even a tag, let alone a release with an .apk file; and of course I’d happily host it via my repo “until it’s mature” – after that it rather should be in the official repo – so if @Bubu provides me a download link, I’m all game). As I’m about to flash the microG brand of LineageOS on my new device, I’ll have the “main client” pre-installed.

That’s meant as a joke, isn’t it? How would you tell there which apps came from F-Droid? I meanwhile found the place (in Settings it is).

Ah, that’s good. Yes, with the old client the error came from the package installer – i.e. after download. OK, that makes that reason obsolete – but still the point remains important. What about apps available in multiple repos when one first wants to install such? For example in mine and in main; I’d have to decide whether I want fast updates/the latest version, or rather the trust of the main repo. In this example, overlaps are minimal between our repos – but mine has the latest version of some apps the official repo no longer updates (as they do not meet the inclusion criteria anymore).

I’d second that. And yes, the arguments following it as well :wink: But I’m still confused by those “tiles” (my usual reaction on such design: “If I want tiles, I visit the bathroom”; tiles may be fine for unstructured things (collage), but IMHO are no good for things that should be “organized”, like app listings). For the user, it’s not clear why one tile is larger and the other smaller. Is the “larger app” to be preferred? Is it more important? What is the reason that some span the entire line while at other places multiple apps share a line? How can I sort a list alphabetically (very useful e.g. when “scanning” a large category carefully – so I can remember I’ve stopped at “H” when I take a break)? The current order seems very random.

I very much hope for @Bubu’s classic client. I’ve already asked for an optional list view in the main client, and my request was rejected – so the classic client is all that remains :blush:

2 Likes

It’s not ready yet, progress is tracked here: Progress towards 1.0 release (#1) · Issues · Marcus / F-Droid Classic · GitLab

I’m currently on vacation, so it’ll likely be a few weeks before anything will happen on that front.

3 Likes