New TWIF Submission Thread

I’m only keeping track of reproducible apps, but 2 got archived and 1 disabled last month: reproducible/overview.md · master · FC (Fay) Stegerman / fdroid-misc-scripts · GitLab

knigopis was disabled because upstream never responded to our questions why the signing key changed: signing key changed · Issue #1 · sirekanian/knigopis · GitHub

1 Like

Apps that aren’t in the updated index but were in the previous index as per 0000 UTC are listed as removed.

If removed is too strong a word we could opt for a better one instead. Would archived be a preferred term in this case?

Maybe… I guess it depends on why the are not there any more :slight_smile:

An approach we could use is to ensure that packages found in the archived repo can be stated as archived and those that aren’t can be deemed removed.

F-Droid client v1.18.0 is out, it includes:

• Fixed using repos and mirrors from External Storage on recent Android releases
  • Improved WiFi management in Nearby
  • The navigation bar now remembers its position even when F-Droid restarts
  • New language: Swahili
  • Fix downloading images for repos still using index-v1
  • Fix crashes related to swap, managing repos and more
  • The Downgrade button was removed, Android no longer allows that

We are now starting the 1.19 alpha cycle which includes a major overhaul of adding and managing repos and mirrors. It also includes the ability to automatically install updates on newer Android versions.

2 Likes

reproducible-builds.org published their September report mentioning F-Droid:

September saw F-Droid add ten new reproducible apps, and one existing app switched to reproducible builds. In addition, two reproducible apps were archived and one was disabled for a current total of 199 apps published with Reproducible Builds and using the upstream developer’s signature. [] In addition, an extensive blog post was posted on f-droid.org titled “Reproducible builds, signing keys, and binary repos”.

You can read the full report here.

1 Like

F-Droid 1.19 will have unattended upgrades. Maybe this detail is interesting for people who think of switching to F-Droid basic.

1 Like

F-Droid 1.19 will have unattended upgrades.

This is already mentioned just 2 posts above yours in this thread, and in the latest TWIF post :slight_smile:

The first line starts with 1.18 and I stopped reading.

I guess you already have it on your list:
On some mobiles KDE Connect got removed by google. Redirecting

2 Likes

Yup because it was from F-Droid

I want to highlight some updates of this week:

3 Likes

Hi, I have something to share!

Next Wednesday (Nov 8), I’m planning to release a special Anniversary edition of Arcticons!
Three years ago, I released the first version with around 900~ icons, now we have 8000+

After contributing for months to Frost, a fill-based icon pack. I wanted to create something different (but with the same goal), a line-based icon pack. Because I lacked the technical skills to create an app, so gladly I came across Frost, which was a perfect app to use as a base for Arcticons.

In these three years, the project gained many contributors, and thanks to its low entry level. We’ve managed to do quite a lot in that time, like: Upgrading our app to have more features like icon request support, a variant with black lines and later one with Material You colors, we’ve also created 7000+ icons together, and we’re expanding to Linux too!

This is all possible thanks to the open-source nature of the project, and it’s fantastic community. :snowflake:

5 Likes

Rustdesk has been updated to 1.2.3

Significant changes include:

• Hardware keyboard support for Android: now you can use your favourite mechanics paired to your phone to control other desktops, servers or even phones!

• Updated libraries: fixes CVE-2023-5217 and several other security vulnerabilities exploited in the wild.

• Builds for all 4 platforms: arm, arm64, x86 and x86_64. Rustdesk becomes F-Droid’s first submission built with Flutter framework on 32-bit x86 Android.

• Automated update support: new versions will be built automatically as soon as new upstream version becomes public!

With the submission, F-Droid users get the chance to use their remote devices in a privacy-friendly way!

except that… it “connects to the dev site sending date of start, IP of device, device info,
time and duration of sessions, and RustDesk-IDs”
… so much for privacy, meh

1 Like

I am on track to fix that too. At least, we can probably introduce a parameter to ensureConnection like mode: for server all needed info is exposed but for client most privacy-offending fields are blanked.

1 Like

Comments from @rocka:

Fcitx5 for Android (and its plugins) have been updated to 0.0.8.
Fcitx5 is a generic input method framework on Linux, the Android port includes virtual keyboard with customizable color scheme, clipboard management, as well as plugin support for adding more languages. In previous versions, English and Chinese (Pinyin, Wubi, Cangjie) have been bundled within the application, and there are 2 plugins:

• Anthy: Japanese input method based on anthy-unicode
  • Clipboard Filter: strip tracking parameters from URLs in clipboard
    6 more plugins are avaiable starting from this release:
  • Chewing: Zhuyin/Bopobomfo for Traditional Chinese based on libchewing
  • Hangul: Korean input method beased on libhangul
  • Jyutping: Cantonese input method based on libime-jyutping
  • RIME: Rime Input Method Engine with custom schemas
  • Sayura: Sinhala input method
  • Unikey: Vietnamese input method
1 Like
  • Image sharing: Easily send and receive images over SMS, making your conversations more engaging and expressive.

I have never read about such an app before, though I don’t need it today anymore.

@SkewedZeppelin

Deku sms is alternative for Silence sms (depreciated) app?

Give your sugession.

@naveen

there is zero documentation on how the crypto works and the commit messages don’t inspire confidence

I’d personally avoid for now.
Go use XMPP or something: Messengers - DivestOS Mobile

Carrier based services should also be avoided for reasons like how numbers are tied to identities and retention periods:

1 Like