How to update repository without pull gesture on non-touch devices?

Hei there!
just as title, how can a user update the repository without the pull gesture? This use case is common I think for non-touch devices, like Android on a Raspberry.

Am I obviously missing a setting somewhere or something else?

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m not aware of such option (it might exist), but as a workaround you could go into the Repository settings and disable and enable again each repo. That will trigger an update, if I remember correctly.

Just in case: with a mouse you can do the pull gesture just fine, although it’s not that obvious.

3 Likes

Thanks it works! Quite rough but indeed a workaround!

Yes a mouse is indeed another solution, not always available though :slight_smile:

I think it’s rather a desirable feature to have an alternative to pull gestures to request a repository update.

1 Like

Of course! It was just an informative note.

Agree.

I am not sure but may be an app broadcast exist to update the repo. Can anyone confirm?

cc @Ildar @Licaon_Kter

There isn’t a Broadcast Intent. I would accept a merge request that added a keyboard command to do it, like F5 or Ctrl-R or something. Are there standard keyboard commands with Android? I’ve never used Android with a keyboard.

@hotlittlewhitedog any pointers here?

@hans the request is weird :sweat_smile: On raspberry you can connect a mouse.

At home, I’ve an android box connected to the TV.
The TV is not touchable.
I use the dpad (only on TV I think) or a small keyboard.
All keys are detected (arrows, A-Z, 0-9, functions, ESC, ALT, CTRL…) and quick keys to open gmail, browser.

I think you can move the code to refresh the repo in an INTENT SERVICE (easy to use but without UI) just call a service or in the context menu, or simply in the menu interface (Settings/My applications) => add an option to refresh all activated repos) :slightly_smiling_face:

@hans to detect a key, you need to handle keyboard actions like onKeyUp.
https://developer.android.com/training/keyboard-input/commands

This was indeed what I first thought! And yea the request is for a limited number of cases I suppose.

Thank you all for spending time in discussing this!

1 Like

@ggruber which android version ? With Nougat & up, do you have access to launcher icon Shortcuts and quick settings Tiles ?
If so,@hans , check simplified https://gitlab.com/oF2pks/fdroidclient/commit/333841f0c1a9ed1851bfdc40fac2da8f61f0da3d , it solves these triggering fdroid UpdateService.updateNow(this);

I’d say my box is either 5 or 6, but not 7+ almost surely. Haven’t updated in a long while since I just use them for home purposes essentially.

Mastodon