How to update repository without pull gesture on non-touch devices?

Hei there!
just as title, how can a user update the repository without the pull gesture? This use case is common I think for non-touch devices, like Android on a Raspberry.

Am I obviously missing a setting somewhere or something else?

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m not aware of such option (it might exist), but as a workaround you could go into the Repository settings and disable and enable again each repo. That will trigger an update, if I remember correctly.

Just in case: with a mouse you can do the pull gesture just fine, although it’s not that obvious.

4 Likes

Thanks it works! Quite rough but indeed a workaround!

Yes a mouse is indeed another solution, not always available though :slight_smile:

I think it’s rather a desirable feature to have an alternative to pull gestures to request a repository update.

2 Likes

Of course! It was just an informative note.

Agree.

1 Like

I am not sure but may be an app broadcast exist to update the repo. Can anyone confirm?

cc @Ildar @Licaon_Kter

There isn’t a Broadcast Intent. I would accept a merge request that added a keyboard command to do it, like F5 or Ctrl-R or something. Are there standard keyboard commands with Android? I’ve never used Android with a keyboard.

@hotlittlewhitedog any pointers here?

@hans the request is weird :sweat_smile: On raspberry you can connect a mouse.

At home, I’ve an android box connected to the TV.
The TV is not touchable.
I use the dpad (only on TV I think) or a small keyboard.
All keys are detected (arrows, A-Z, 0-9, functions, ESC, ALT, CTRL…) and quick keys to open gmail, browser.

I think you can move the code to refresh the repo in an INTENT SERVICE (easy to use but without UI) just call a service or in the context menu, or simply in the menu interface (Settings/My applications) => add an option to refresh all activated repos) :slightly_smiling_face:

@hans to detect a key, you need to handle keyboard actions like onKeyUp.

This was indeed what I first thought! And yea the request is for a limited number of cases I suppose.

Thank you all for spending time in discussing this!

1 Like

@ggruber which android version ? With Nougat & up, do you have access to launcher icon Shortcuts and quick settings Tiles ?
If so,@hans , check simplified https://gitlab.com/oF2pks/fdroidclient/commit/333841f0c1a9ed1851bfdc40fac2da8f61f0da3d , it solves these triggering fdroid UpdateService.updateNow(this);

I’d say my box is either 5 or 6, but not 7+ almost surely. Haven’t updated in a long while since I just use them for home purposes essentially.

Android OS tv box user myself with 8.0 on my box & F-Droid version 1.7.1. I don’t have access to Quick Tiles myself but have been able to modify the original Launcher to allow Widgets & pull a Customizable Taskbar from F-Droid. As some have already expressed, Non-touch can make use of accessories or other app’s that will allow a button re-map. Depending on tv box type, some may be able to use 2 USB devices @ same time but for those without… Personal thought is to ask if it would be easy enough to have Accessibility Setting available so that a user could customize it by using that feature instead? The taskbar by B Farmer uses PC-style productivity via the use of Usage Permission & bein set through Accessibility as an Assistant. Even Samsung’s “Good Lock” has some customization options so someone with some coding ability must know of a way to do similar…

Can you clarify the use of this Link? Do we download the file to F-Droid or someplace else to use this?

I’ve uploaded a 1.7 debug version here https://gitlab.com/oF2pks/fdroidclient/-/tags/1007050_androidX_custom (oc, not compatible with officially signed fdroid privilege client)

The icon shortcut (Nougat and up) includes an [Updates] insert to trigger it, +:

• an android Tile (via notification zone down) to trigger repo update
  • another shorcut to installed apps list
  • 2nd screen Gitlab icon/link to fdroiddata/commits/master/metadata related
  • Simplified 1st screen list with complete uncut designation, and no misses from new upcoming first releases (grayed date when metadata are missing)
  • 1st screen long-press to fdroid forum auto search

all these modifications are minimalist (thx to F-Droid dev team sub design): https://gitlab.com/oF2pks/fdroidclient/commits/ax

(@hans this debug is built with androidX switch and tested ok/fine))

Hope some one could convince Nethunter to integrates these, to their fdroid clone, so every one could find satisfaction on fdroidclient basis rendering.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.