How do I replace or update app in F-droid repository?

So, perhaps the wrong place to post this question, but I’m a bit confused about the F-Droid repository app update process.

A long time ago, I wrote the app Ship, Captain, and Crew as an open source app/game for Android. I requested it be added to F-Droid, which it was.

Now, I’ve rewritten the dice game in 3D. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l15ndMnB_c0

How do I update the F-Droid to the new repository and change all the metadata to the new 3D version of the game? Do I make a new request for a “new” game and leave the old one, or do I make a request to change the old to the new?

Also, the 3D version is built with Godot, is there anything special I need to do to make that work for the F-Droid build system?

Do I make a new request for a “new” game and leave the old one, or do I make a request to change the old to the new?

This depends on whether your new game has a different app ID or not. If you think that some users may prefer the old-style gameplay, give the 3D version a new app ID. If you think that everyone will be happy to upgrade to 3D, keep the old app ID.

Also, the 3D version is built with Godot, is there anything special I need to do to make that work for the F-Droid build system?

There are some apps on F-Droid that use Godot, check the (quite scaring) recipes for them.

1 Like

Thanks again for your help.

I tried searching the repository to find other apps that use Godot, but I couldn’t find any. What should I search to find a list of Godot games, so I can see what I need to do for my app to be added?

Or, can you point me to a game written with Godot? Thanks.

Grep Godot in fdroiddata.

Example: metadata/ir.hsn6.tpb.yml · master · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

1 Like

I tried to add the new 3D version as a separate game with a different app ID in a request for packaging, but was told I cannot do that. So, I either have to replace the 2D version, or skip it. So, I think I’ll just skip it.

but was told I cannot do that

I believe Izzy is mistaken - he thinks you are trying to fix or update an existing package. You need to explain that the 3D version is basically a separate app, has a separate packageID, and a different name (maybe “Ship, Captain, Crew 3D”, and that it isn’t intended to replace the first package.

1 Like

I will give it another go. I did explain that in the top section, but perhaps he didn’t read it. :smiley:

Or perhaps I can ask @Izzy here?

He probably skimmed over it, but I think his reply is about the bot’s report. For whatever reason its detecting the same packageId (older one) and flagging it as already in the repo.

1 Like

Thanks, and I see your comment on GitLab, too. I’ll tinker with it in a bit. When I build it, the package ID name is com.alaskalinuxuser.shipcaptaincrew3d, but I am not sure if it is looking at the older release tags, prior to the one where I changed it.

May the fourth be with you. :grinning:

As it turns out, it helps giving the correct URLs. @alaskalinuxuser also included the URL to the other app’s repo, after the correct one – and the bot seems to pick the last one. Let’s see what the bot says now.

2 Likes

Yes, truth be told I now see the error was mine. :crazy_face:

Aw, shit happens. All the time. Noone is safe from it :rofl: Actually, it took me a while to figure which URL the bot might pick. Consider a description ending with “this is a fork of…” – completely legit, still the bot would scan… the parent. Because that’s the last URL pointing to a repo.

Now both of us know (and thruth be told, I didn’t see it either before you wrote about the “wrong issue tracker”), and hopefully the bot picks the right URL this time (we didn’t leave it much choice I think) :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.