Fennec F-Droid with Anti-Features?

Fennec F-Droid is based on the latest Firefox release (codenamed Fenix).
It has proprietary bits and telemetry removed, but still connects to
various Mozilla and Google services that can track users.

and refering to the thread "Fennec F-Droid" anti-features

I think we should omit the modal verbs (shall, want, like, must, may, can and let), either they do and the code contains proven code lines, or we formulate so that the code was not 100% searched. But then, in my humble opinion, the software had better not appear on F-Droid in the first place.

i believe we should take another look and really throw out everything that doesn’t belong there and if certain sections of code can’t be patched it should be documented somewhere.

By the way, is there the source code somewhere in a git online where one can go through it? I have found the tar.gz to download.

1 Like

Is just a fork of Firefox Android with patches, you can find them here:

In my humble opinion there is no other standalone browser in F-Droid so this is it, stubs to prevent that code from executing so it will be easier and faster to maintain.

You can contribute and remove all proprietary code and trackers completely from Fenix and make it not to crash and maintain the project over time.

I’m tired of this kind of posts and I’m not even a contributor to F-Droid. Really annoying.

4 Likes

Software must be 100% free to get into our main repo. Fennec F-Droid complies with this; if you find any proprietary code in it, let me know and I’ll cope with this.

Tracking is another story. Vanilla Firefox make quite a lot of connections: How to stop Firefox from making automatic connections | Firefox Help (some points don’t apply to the Android version). Most people consider this as tracking (I agree with them), thus Fennec got this antifeature.

By the way, is there the source code somewhere in a git online where one can go through it?

The source code of what exactly?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.