F-Droid discord server?

Most F-Droid contributors are on IRC and Matrix. I don’t know is there anyone who want to maintain a discord channel. But maybe it make sense to have a bridge though there is no plan.

Isn’t twitter and youtube much more popular?

1 Like

yes but, i don’t see how fdroid could make a video beside a, idk psa? same for twitter. And lets all be real, kids are not going to use IRC these days anyways. That’s the more 1337 crowd. I appreciate the comments posed by my question, ty to all replying. I have to go now. Again, ty for contributing to the question i have posed for the community.

We hace an official mastodon account. We also have a twitter account but it’s not maintain I guess. And there are some video made by contributors.

The problem of discord is that there is basically no contributors on it. Even if we have a channel it will be unmaintained. So, bridge may make more sense.

1 Like

I think an official Discord F-Droid community would look wrong, because F-Droid is all about being libre. But I wouldn’t mind being involved in an unofficial F-Droid Discord server so if you start or know of one, feel free to send me a PM :slight_smile:

The official community is on Matrix, bridged to IRC.

4 Likes

Are gay people allowed in?

1 Like

Take this hypothetical situation, You are a pepsi sales man, and You want to let people know how good pepsi is, you wouldn’t want to advertise in a city that only drinks pepsi, you would want to advertise in a city that drinks coca-cola.

Continuing your hypotetical situation:
You won’t promote pepsi by drinking cocacola
How to promote FLOSS by using Non-Free software? Is a countersense.
People are clever: Hey those promoters of FLOSS use themselves Non-Free software, LOL

2 Likes

Why doesn’t F-Droid run their own XMPP MUC server? Or do they?

Well, the answer to that is pretty simple: because there are always an infinite amount of things that could be done but a finite amount of contributors and time.

2 Likes

However you should be able to follow the f-droid matrix room as well from xmpp using the address: fdroid#f-droid.org@matrix.org

1 Like

You will want to read this issue before attempting to join any Matrix room via the XMPP bifrost bridge:

tl;dr you can’t really leave

1 Like

Welcome to the Hotel California.

Thanks for the report, personally though, I’ve been in and out with different xmpp accounts in a matrix room and haven’t encountered this issue, so I don’t know if it has been fixed

1 Like

I have never seen something like this. I have right now entered and left this room and all is well.
Strange story.

Or via Biboumi XMPP gateway/bridge:

eg. join this channel #fdroid%irc.oftc.net@irc.jabberfr.org

(this is one bridge, there are more or you host yourself)

That’s an easy setup…but I don’t do Dockers so I’m not sure if a plain setup is allowed, maybe a VM? @hans? @uniqx?

Cool kids have Play installed, so lets close F-Droid? Ummm…slippery slope :slight_smile:

Better think of it like this @g33kz4su

• Saying you like FOSS yet use Discord (or any other silo like Telegram or Signal or Wire or only the matrix.org server heh) you keep saying to your friends that: “you should use <closed silo/software>, I’m just quirky and odd”
  • Every day you are still a silo user you keep your friends prisoners too!
  • If you don’t stand up for your principles, why should your friends?

Like RMS says, every “NO” helps: Saying No to unjust computing even once is help - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

Say NO to silos!

2 Likes

matrix is not a silo, it is as free and open as XMPP, plus it works better IMHO.
There are many servers out there, and they federate well. fdroid even has a
server. I agree that Telegram/Signal/Wire are silos, though the clients are
free software (except for the google libs in some).

That’s not what I’ve said :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.