CTemplar is shutting down, Best alternative?

Of course I’ve heard of:
Patriot Act - Wikipedia
and about his actions:
Tor Mail - Wikipedia
, but I understand much more how dictatorial and corrupt authorities behave in the territory of the former USSR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdVrReZidKA

Email as a protocol was not designed to be private in nature you have to understand hope you know now use anything who provide encrypted mailbox. I think this is enough and having sign up without details is a nice addition.
Now protonmail disroot tutanota and mailbox startmail mailfence selfhosting are a legitimate options

privacyguides org

OK advice sometimes, but this article fails to say, for each email service not endorsed, why they were eliminated, or if they were reviewed. Mine in particular. :laughing:

“Privacy” guides loses all privacy credibility by encouraging people to use Microsoft’s github, and refusing to even consider changing. (and they encourage using reddit, twitter and matrix)

Yes.

Probably because it is invite only

hmm, ok.

they don’t encourage anything besides listed on the site

what’s wrong with it

Probably because it is invite only

Nope. Open to public and fairly well known.

they don’t encourage anything besides listed on the site

They do. Their homepage says:

We need you! Here’s how to get involved

Join the r/PrivacyGuides Subreddit
Follow @Privacy_Guides on Twitter
Contribute to this website [LINKS TO GITHUB}
Chat with us on Matrix

Don’t see Mastodon listed there.

Matrix
what’s wrong with it

This blog piece is kinda bloated, who knows if it’s BS or accurate, but it popped up for: xmpp versus matrix. The privacy of metadata is in doubt, in practice it is more centralized than you might think, and more: Matrix vs. XMPP | Luke's Webpage

FWIW, of our friendly local “curators” here, I’m fairly sure @Licaon_Kter prefers xmpp, but @hans likes matrix. F-Droid discord server? - #27 by Licaon_Kter

I stand with @Licaon_Kter on this one. :laughing:

1 Like

Just to give a simple answer, Tutanota.

I use with enough satisfaction delta.chat with relatives and friends to encrypt emails, it has the advantage to work with different providers and also with other clients that support autocrypt.

But is that mail or chat? or chamail? or machat? :slight_smile:

protonmail
lmao ok fed

Aren’t they all Fed or other 3 letter agencies?

1 Like

@starscreamos 34 mins

No, some dont have any letters…

In seriousness, yeah. If there’s a service, a server and a user they really want, that encryption will be for looks only.

Pressured hard enough, not many successful buisnesses will risk/lose everything for one $20 a month user…

All depending on your threat model/level…(post deleted by author)

Why post and delete?? It’s still out there.

Wasn’t for second guessing but felt I didn’t word it correctly being half asleep still. So I deleted it, never known that to be an issue before. Im glad that you care so much though.

But, sloppy written aside, It is how I see it.

After spending a few months looking into alternatives, reading through whitepapers and privacy policies, and keeping up with the news, I ended up choosing Protonmail over mailbox.org, Startmail, Lavabit, and all the other providers out there (Tutanota, Posteo, etc.). I wrote out my full reasoning on my blog The Codegito if you’re interested. I go in depth into my requirements, how each platform met (or didn’t meet) my requirements, and on why I chose Protonmail despite (if not because of) the scandal brewing at the time.

This is my personal opinion, but I did a lot of research and would be willing to talk about why I made the decision if you had any questions. I admit that PM isn’t perfect (no third-party smartphone clients and their desktop bridge requires a subscription), but I can confirm that since choosing Protonmail, I have rarely (if ever) regretted my choice.

I won’t point to a review, but some things impress me about Posteo, particularly from F-Droid perspective (as much as I do or don’t understand it). They don’t have an app, in apple or google stores, or anywhere, AFAIK. They care about javascript licenses Email green, secure, simple and ad-free - posteo.de - JavaScript Licenses . They publish transparency reports Email green, secure, simple and ad-free - posteo.de - Transparency report . They have provisions for anonymous signup, and work fine over Tor…

I might have chosen Posteo, but I figured:

1. Posteo doesn’t support custom domains (so I’d be stuck with them);
  2. Since they aren’t as popular as Protonmail, I’ll be less likely to hear if something goes wrong (there won’t be as much press coverage)

own domain

Not sure why needed, and

Posteo has a good reason for this: doing so would require they store the assignment of the domain as unencrypted user information, which violates their privacy promises.

Regardless, where there’s a will, there’s a way: Andy's Blog

hear if something goes wrong

Bad news travels fast, and I feel posteo would publish it themselves.

own domain

Not sure why needed, and

The main reason I need this is so that in the unlikely event that Protonmail goes south, I can change email provider without worrying about missing all my emails. I understand why Posteo is doing this, but I need the freedom to change providers if I choose to in the future.

Regardless, where there’s a will, there’s a way: Andy’s Blog

I hadn’t seen that. Thanks for sharing the link!

hear if something goes wrong

Bad news travels fast, and I feel posteo would publish it themselves.

Yes, but I don’t want to have to rely on the company shaming itself should something go wrong. Especially for a smaller company, news won’t spread as far or as quickly. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Again, I could be wrong about any of these, but this is how I came to my conclusion about Protonmail.

Also, I hadn’t mentioned this earlier, but has Posteo undergone any professional security audits like Protonmail has?

freedom to change providers

Send your email contacts a “here’s my new email address” email. Problem solved.

audit

Sure they have: site:posteo.de audit at DuckDuckGo

Is anyone able to give me an Invite Code for Riseup please?