DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

@Duper
yes, of course

relock capability is noted on the devices page.

1 Like

Bootloader locked. I’ll test device as my daily :+1:

1 Like

Facebook and Meta Business suite not working. Sadly I use it for my business…
I may dump it on my device and use it only on office PC.

What error?

Did you read Faq - DivestOS Mobile yet?

1 Like

Xiaomi Mi A2 ‘jasmine_sprout’ WITH relocked bootloader

divested-18.1-20230810-dos-jasmine_sprout-fastboot works perfectly …
… but OTA-Update divested-18.1-20230810 … i s … b r o k e n !

What did I do:

I successfully installed DivestOS 18.1 via fastboot on another, a second, Xiaomi Mi A2 ‘jasmine_sprout’. For safety’s sake, the boot loader has not yet been re-locked.

I checked the DOS-Updater.

Updater
Preferences
Delete updates when installed (not activated)
DivestOS 18.1
10. August 2023
773 MB
INSTALL

Although build divested-18.1-20230810 installed, the only option shown was another INSTALL. Out of interest and curiosity, I set the installation in motion.

Result: Bootloop with logo ANDROID ONE.
I had no other option but to reinstall the system.

This time I installed an earlier DOS build: divested-18.1-20230618-dos-jasmine_sprout-fastboot > verything works.

Now I did an OTA update to the current DOS build divested-18.1-20230810 again. And again the MI A2 system starts with a bootloop = logo ANDROID ONE.

This is verified: … OTA-Update divested-18.1-20230810 … i s … b r o k e n !

Last but not least, I installed the build divested-18.1-20230618-dos-jasmine_sprout-fastboot zip again - and as a last step was able to successfully re-lock the bootloader again.

No error message. Page will only partially load and no more…
I’m reading through the FAQs now. May need install MicroG… No I don’t.

Edit - This fixed Meta Business Suite and Facebook - Disabling the content blocker: Settings > Security > Disable DNS content blocker > checked

@fossys

I have just combed over all of the changes made to common areas, 18.1, and Xiaomi sdm660 series.
I see nothing that would cause boot issues.

What I do know is that the recovery on that device is non-functional.
Are you sure it isn’t just stuck trying to reboot to the DivestOS recovery to install the update?

Switch out to Orangefox or whatever and flash the update to confirm.

@SkewedZeppelin, you are certainly the more experienced of the two of us and in my eyes a brilliant Custom ROM bulider, but - I also know what I’m doing. Especially with the Xiaomi MI A2 (jasmin_sprount), because I know it like the back of my hand, with all its quirks, because I’ve installed tens of different custom ROMs including Ubuntu Touch on it over the last few years. Not to be underestimated - I 've the MI A2 at hand, unlike you. All theory is grey and the golden tree of life is green … (JWvG).

Why you include a non-functional recovery in your ROM for the Mi A2 and publish it, despite knowing better, probably remains the trade secret of the ‘Divested Computing Group’.

This is all the more annoying because the recovery amaneged the OTA update and it is not possible to disable DivestOS recovery updates on this device.

It is impossible to disable DivestOS
Recovery updates on this devices.

I’ve installed various custom recoveries: SHRP, TWRP, OrangeFox. All of them only booted up to their logo, and - then got stuck. Flashing the update was not possible. I’ve not yet experienced anything like this with the Mi A2.

To rule out a hardware defect, I freshly installed Stock Android 10 on the device and flashed it with two other custom ROMs:

/e/OS V.1.12.3 + e-Recovery v1.12.3, then OTA update to version /e/OS 1.13-r-20230727314472-dev-jasmine_sprout with automatic update of e-Recovery to v.1.13 = everything works as it should.

Afterwards the installation of PixelExperience_jasmine_sprout-13.0-20230427-1912-OFFICIAL + PE-Recovery including OTA-Update to PE-Version 13.0-20230520-1621-OFFICIAL with automatic update of the PE-Recovery PixelExperience_jasmine_sprout-13.0-20230520-1621-OFFICIAL.img = everything works as it should.

My assumption is upgrade to a higher Android/AOSP version depends on certain hardware/software limitations/settings. Given that other CustomROMs with A13 exist I further assume a device being still supported with 19.1 (A12.1) depends on stability/issues of AOSP A13 for that device.
May I ask regarding vayu if a 20 (A13) version is likely (or even possible)?

@chrifos

vayu should be capable of running 20.0, it just hasn’t yet received a port by its Lineage maintainer.

ok thx, so it depends on Lineage OS vayu official dev status, currently Maintainer SebaUbuntu Current version 19.1 (Android 12L). In xda the last comment by Nollie8969

Seba would say : No new Xiaomi sources (kernel), no Los20 build.

Hi, first I would like to thank you for your work.
I use DivestOS on both my S3 and S5.
I don’t know if this is the right place for feature request, but I would like
to ask you for one thing.
That is so-called “Boeffla sound”.
I have recently flashed custom kernel with it and it sounds amazing.
After that I reflashed your latest update, and now use it like that.
But just for this sound I am tempted to flash this thing again.
Can you please put it in the kernel, even if it wasn’t default, so anyone
could switch in the settings, like MicroG.

Best regards

@klteuser
features like that are out of scope.

and when you yourself replace the kernel like that you throw out all the hundreds of security fixes out the window: Scripts/LineageOS-18.1/CVE_Patchers/android_kernel_samsung_msm8974.sh · master · DivestOS Mobile / DivestOS-Build · GitLab

I understand that. That’s why I asked you, if you could do it.
I would do it myself if I knew how.
From reading this guys (Andip-Boeffla) explanation, he actually
removed unnecessary code that makes sound sound muffled.
Also I understood that you have also removed a lot of unnecessary
code, so I thought that would be easy for you to implement.
And if you have never tried it, please try and listen the difference.
After reverting to default, everything now sounds muffled to me.

@SkewedZeppelin
Any chances there will be working DivestOS 20.0 build for davinci?
Or is it dropped for good?

News - DivestOS Mobile “roster updates” not sure when will be live…

I have a Sony Xperia XA2.
When I run the September 8 update and reboot at the end, there is an endless loop. The XA2 boots up until SONY pops up and reboots. The lettering DIVESTOS does not appear anymore. After uncounted reboots DivestOS appears, but then it is the version from August 10.
What else can I do?

Full update from 800Mb+ file?

731 MB is specified