DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

This seems to be a necessity (or locked bootloader?) by some Banking Apps, hence Second Phone (Stock). It is difficult to understand for me what causes the problem in the App, since I’m no expert and the App providers usually have zero documentation about this. App Customer Service usually does not even understand my problem/request.

We do not use GMaps as an App or inBrowser (instead OSMAnd), but some Apps use Location services dependent on G and/or GMaps.

I will see to try it, I’m lucky DivestOS 17.1 (10.0 / Q) and higher after the July 2023 update provide this, so the two Xiaomi devices I may try are supported.

The github Banking App compatibility is interesting, will try to see what is necessary to include further Apps from own experience. Regarding other (regional) Apps a wiki kind of contributor based solution was in my mind, as it is impossible to curate by centralized admins/mods IMHO.

Thanks, my stamina has increased. Hopefully I find stable solution for the foreseeable future and almost all device users. In any case thank you and to all allowing independent smartphone usage. If only administrations and public service would adopt and fund privacy aware FOSS oriented Custom ROMs, instead of banning only certain Apps and on the other hand relying on multiple GAMAM etc dependant services and Apps…

1 Like

see Faq - DivestOS Mobile line 17.1 and lower only...

so uninstall those apps and install them like that as vending or install them from Aurora Store (as they should end up as vending then)

yes, it works on both hammerhead and bullhead.
on bullhead it spend about 8min. to get a signal (maybe a hardware probem (?)
on hammerhead with 18.1 about 2min.

Hello!

I tried to install DivestOS on a Poco F2 Pro (lmi) phone and I followed the instructions from the device page, but I receive an error message.
My device bootloader is already unlocked (I came from Paranoid Android 13 ROM).

What i did was:
Reboot to the bootloader: With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power.
$ fastboot erase avb_custom_key
$ fastboot flash avb_custom_key avb_pkmd-lmi.bin
Reboot to the bootloader
$ fastboot update divested-20.0-20230720-dos-lmi-fastboot.zip

The error message is:

extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM…
Checking ‘product’ FAILED

Device product is ‘lmi’.
Update requires ‘kona’.

fastboot: error: requirements not met!

Please help me to solve the installation error.

Thank you very much.

Great that’s Good. Thank you

@narcisbu
if you are absolutely sure you have lmi you can do fastboot update --force divested-20.0-20230720-dos-lmi-fastboot.zip

1 Like

Sony Xperia 10 (kirin)

divested-19.1-20230719-dos-kirin.zip incl. DOS-Recovery

Status quo: 2023-07-28T22:00:00Z
kirin-dos

Install Method: Fastboot (Sony) : Download (adb sideload)

Verification:

kirin:/ $ getenforce
Enforcing

MicroG works as described by the developer. In particular, this means that apps that are heavily dependent on Google Mobile Services will not work.

Camera App version 1.0 (org,.lineageos.aperture.dev) is preinstalled
Camera App version 63 (app.grapheneos.camera.play) is my alternative with QR scan

wired LAN via Adapter USB-C to RJJ45 works fine (China noname) - but not with every adapter.

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy S7 (herolte)

divested-14.1-20230718-dos-herolte + DOS-Recovery

herolte-dos

Samsung Galaxy S7 G930F (herolte), the former high-flyer from Samsung, is still an attractive smartphone, especially with its 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display (1440 x 2560 px) and runs excellent based on Android 13 with LineageOS 20.0 (20230713-microG-signed-herolte), developed by @Exodusnick in friendly cooperation with @Ivan_Meler. Note: custom ROM is patched to support signature spoofing.

I have set up Mull. Under Addons I can not set up any because a message: Query failed for addons appears.
I can not find a solution, is there one?

Are you on DivestOS? If so:

• On DivestOS 19.1 and 20.0 the initial install of Mull will not have Internet access, go to its App info screen then Mobile data & Wi-Fi and enable Allow network access.

Otherwise are you using any adblocker or DNS or VPN that is blocking Mozilla servers?

Thanks, i’m on DivestOS, but I’m getting old. The same mistake as before, now it works,

I see on the website that the Pixel 3a (Sargo) release is marked broken. Is the cause known by any chance? I have an old Pixel 3a; I would be happy to use it to help test and debug if desired.

@Regalecidae
cause is not known, and it can’t be easily fixed via remote testing

Thank you for the link to the issue. Do you still think that it could be the kernel? If so, when I have some time, I will attempt to compile some test images to isolate the patch(es) causing the issue. I’ll let you know if I make any progress.

Xiaomi Mi 8 (dipper)

divested-20.0-20230720-dos-dipper.zip + divested-20.0-20230720-dos-dipper-recovery.img

Starting point:
Stock firmware: Mi 8 Global - V12.0.3.0.QEAMIXM
Previously installed Custom ROM: /e/OS ‘S’ v1.13 + e-Recovery

First I installed the current DOS recovery, then with the DOS recovery > Factory reset > Format data/factory reset + Format cache partition, First I installed the current DOS recovery, then with the DOS recovery > Factory reset > Format data/factory reset + Format cache partition, furthermore with adb sideload the current DOS.zip

DOS-ROM boots and at first sight everything looks fine. MicroG works as described by the developer. In particular, this means that apps that are heavily dependent on Google Mobile Services will not work.

dos-dipper

Status Untested : Tested - basically works
Install Method: Download (adb sideload)

Verification:

dipper:/ $ getenforce
Enforcing

A remarkable feature of the DOS ROMs is their slimness. By that I mean the number of implemented system apps, which is at least 30% less than other custom ROMs for the MI 8 (dipper) with less than 180 (according to my cache cleaner).

wired LAN via Adapter USB-C to RJJ45 works fine (China noname) - but not with every adapter.

Camera App version 1.0 (org,.lineageos.aperture.dev) is preinstalled - but it does not work for me. That means: when I open the camera app, no picture is displayed, and - after a few seconds the DOS system boots by itself.

Also my camera app alternative ‘Secure camera’ with QR scan (Camera App version 63 (app.grapheneos.camera.play) … the same thing happens - so no function. The same scenario. with a separate QR-Sanner app. Every time after using these apps the ‘dipper’ DOS system reboots by itself after a few seconds.

thanks @fossys

basically works

will change to “Mostly working”

when I open the camera app, no picture is displayed, and - after a few seconds the DOS system boots by itself

Known issue: Broken - DivestOS Mobile

Enforcing

Every single shipping build of DivestOS has SELinux enforcing.

@SkewedZeppelin,

to be sure, I installed stock Android Mi 8 Global - V12.0.3.0.QEAMIXM once again: Result: My camera hardware is fully functional. The stock camera app works.

Hi everyone, thanks to all concerned for this project. Are there any Google Pixel 6 pro users here and if so can you give performance feedback? Thanks

Cheers, Phil

@Duper
6a is my daily driver with the same SoC, performance is as expected

1 Like

Thanks. Did you lock your bootloader?