DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

There is a problem with the latest Version. Tried it with two Nexus 5X and get the same:
After flashing recovery and sideload the image, lock the bootloader the phone starts. But going through the settings and finish them i wanted to restart the phone and this does not work. It starts an then going very short to recovery where I have the Options to try again or make a Factory reset. That’s all! I can make a reset then DivestOS starts again and I can go through the settings… and so on…

PS:
this Error Message appears for 2s or so. I could make a photo of it
IMG_1955

@Route56
OH!

On 15.1 you MUST set a password or pin or pattern.

Without a password or pin or pattern the system will corrupt after a reboot.

It is bad bug, don’t know why it happens.

When you said logo I thought you meant Google logo, not Divest logo.

Thanx, using a pin work!
The above Error still appears after starting the phone.

Hello,
I do not know if I am in the right place. I have a big beginner problem, for you maybe a small one or none at all.
I had LineageOS and then iodéOS on the Xperia XA2. After reading the last article by Kuketz, I would like to switch to DivestOS.
In the two OS there was a recovery and the OS respectively. I flashed the recovery to the XA2 with the PC, Windows 10 terminal via USB cable and then installed the OS via a USB stick inserted in the xa2.
Now I want to install DivestOS the same way, but have problems with the installation files I downloaded for the XA2.

1. copy-partitions-pioneer-release.zip
  2. divested-19.1-20230609-dos-pioneer.zip
  3. divested-19.1-20230609-dos-pioneer-fastboot.zip
    Now when I look at the 3rd zip I find a boot.img. Is this the recovery with which I can then install the 2nd zip?

A tip would be great

@Bellini
installation steps are here: Bootloader - DivestOS Mobile

Specifically for your already unlocked pioneer you need steps: 5, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

1 Like

Thank you very much,
I failed before with this installation guide. But now with their reference to the important points for my XA2, the installation was easier. After a single error message for but the solution was already given I changed the android-info.txt file and installed everything.
Will make the next few days now still a fine tuning and then just use.

1 Like

will this “feature” be removed in the future ?

@SkewedZeppelin
After installation, it turned out that Mull does not want to go to the Internet. I had mobile data and wifi turned on. After other attempts, I used the reset options and finally reset to factory settings.
Again Mull did not want to go on the internet and I installed Brave via the computer. With that I was able to get on the internet just as I did afterwards with Mulch for testing.
Is there a solution for this, unfortunately I have not found anything.

@Bellini
Please read the website.

https://divestos.org/pages/faq#misconceptions

If you encounter a serious issue, wiping is almost never the solution.

https://divestos.org/pages/broken#mull

• On DivestOS 19.1 and 20.0 the initial install of Mull will not have Internet access, go to its App info screen then Mobile data & Wi-Fi and enable Allow network access. [help wanted]

See also Faq - DivestOS Mobile

How do I control network access for an app?

• For simply blocking an app from say using mobile data, use the built-in data restrictions: App info > Mobile data & Wi-fi
  • For completely denying an app access to networking functions entirely, revoke the Network permission: App info > Permissions > Network
1 Like

I have two Nexus 5x. The first one make no problem install the actual Release.

The second one stuck at the Google Logo nothing happens, the Divest logo never appears.
I can install twrp and then the last LineageOS and it works. Very curios!

@Route56
Try, try (flashing) again.

Probably another small problem on my XA2. When I activate the updater it shows me that I can download the update from June 92023. But it is already installed, how can I remove the message?

@Bellini
https://divestos.org/pages/broken#notes

• The Updater will show the currently installed update, this is expected.

Sorry, I had that differently in my head from Lineage.

Hello. Can someone help me to explain this?
I use DOS 17.1.
1-2 times a day my phone (some app or service under “Settings” group) determines my location. It happens when I’m connecting to Wi-Fi. When it tries to do this when I connect to AP with no current internet access, it determines location every time I connect to it (x times in a row), until it gets internet connection.
Location is always disabled in settings, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth scanning disabled, SUPL is force disabled.

@nxx
Do you have suntimes based dark theme or night light enabled?

Also connection has nothing to do with location in this regard.

And if Location is disabled then the system won’t grant location to any apps.

How are you determining that an app is using location?

Do you have suntimes based dark theme or night light enabled?

I just checked and yes, night light is set to automatic. But I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the case, because I switched to “automatic” couple of weeks ago, before this I was using “Night mode” 24/7, and the same thing with location happened nevertheless.

Also connection has nothing to do with location in this regard.

Just saying. It definitely happens mostly when I connect to Wi-Fi (not every time, it seems pretty random, often between 1 and 3 a.m.) and one time when my internet was down it tried to check location multiple times in a row, when I was switching Wi-Fi toggle on and off.

How are you determining that an app is using location?

I checked “Privacy → Permission manager”. It is definitely “Settings”, nothing more uses location permission, and last access time is the same time when I see “Location use” pictogram.
BTW, it regularly uses “Phone” permission, and couple of month ago for some reason “Camera” and “Contacts”. Not anymore, but it was pretty scary, when out of blue sky I saw camera access pictogram, when I’m not using anything camera related.

And if Location is disabled then the system won’t grant location to any apps.

I thought so too. Maybe system apps are excluded from this? Because it is impossible to deny location access from “Settings” directly.
Or I just don’t understand something.

@nxx

night light is set to automatic.

This would be the cause then.
It uses location to calculate the suntimes.
Switch it to on schedule times instead.

BTW, it regularly uses “Phone” permission, and couple of month ago for some reason “Camera” and “Contacts”. Not anymore, but it was pretty scary, when out of blue sky I saw camera access pictogram, when I’m not using anything camera related.

Settings is a very special app used to control the system and its accesses may not be reflected properly in permission usage/counts.

afaik Settings uses:

• camera for Wi-Fi QR scanning
  • location may be used for suntimes
  • contacts may be used for account handling/sync
  • phone permission includes mobile network controls

On some devices camera usage includes simple use of flashlight, via quick settings tile or physical button shortcut (longpress)

This would be the cause then.

Just edited the previous post. I am pretty much sure it happened without “automatic” Night mode. But now I will turn it off completely and double check.

Settings is a very special app

I feel this.

camera for Wi-Fi QR scanning

I was staring on my home screen when this happened (not using absolutely anything camera related before this). It lasted approximately 20 seconds, then I rebooted the phone. It wasn’t happening anymore, so I just try not to think about it too much :smiley:

On some devices camera usage includes simple use of flashlight

I use flashlight very often, from both quick access and physical button shortcut. It never uses camera (no pictogram, no usage in “Permission manager”).

@nxx

how do you see camera usage indicator on home screen? 17.1 has no global indicator.
are you using some 3rd party app?