DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

17.1 has no global indicator

It surely has. And for a long time.

are you using some 3rd party app?

No, just vanilla DOS 17.1 (Android 10). Now I just opened camera app and I clearly see little camera pictogram beside Wi-Fi and Battery pictograms. Same with location.

It surely has. And for a long time.

Only Android 12/19.1 and higher has privacy indicators for camera and location.

edit: oh I see the traditional background indicator…
hm

Can you state which device? I actually wonder if maybe the camera service is crashing in the background for some reason.
It is common on camera driver reload for it to briefly start the camera, and there is a 10 second buffer period on those indicators iirc.

clark/17.1 I know has some camera issues for example.

Can you state which device?

I feel like I may be the only one who uses this device with DOS, so if you don’t mind, I won’t do this. But it’s not clark.

It is common on camera driver reload for it to briefly start the camera, and there is a 10 second buffer period on those indicators iirc.

My built-in camera app works flawlessly, not crashed even once, and when this strange camera access happened I didn’t see any crash reports, and it was longer than 10 seconds, I would say 20+, up to 30.

As I said, this camera access was strange, but for so long it never happened again (3+ months). So I am more concerned about Location access, because it happens on a daily basis for the same 3+ months. Maybe more, I don’t know. Because I started to notice this when I checked Privacy manager, to understand why camera was used, and found that beside this, “Settings” get regular Location access.

Well, it just did it again. After automatic Night mode was disabled.
Network-provided time zone is disabled too. I even disabled network-time completely.
I don’t know what else to check.

Do you all want this?
double opt-in, unprivileged microG enablement with hardened signature spoofing

Settings

microG

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

I am looking at the website for Divest ROMs, and for this Motorola G Play that I have, it sounds like I am going to have to do a Boot of some kind.
Just an FYI.

which device? Devices - DivestOS Mobile

1 Like

Motorola G Play Harpia.

But it also almost sounds like I will have to do the same for all the other Motorola’s and any of the other phones (which I am looking into purchasing) on their Installation page:

https://divestos.org/pages/bootloader

Personally, I’m pretty indifferent: I wouldn’t use microg even if it were available, but I wouldn’t be opposed to optionally enabling it.

Xiaomi Mi A2 ‘jasmine_sprout’ WITH relocked bootloader

Successful OTA-Update
FROM divested-18.1-20230609-dos-jasmine_sprout
TO divested-18.1-20230618-dos-jasmine_sprout incl. DOS-Recovery

mia2-dos-brick

Relockable: Will BrickWill NOT Brick my Mi A2 -Tested Working.

Verification:

jasmine_sprout:/ $ getenforce
Enforcing

wired LAN via Adapter USB-C to RJJ45 works great - but not with every adapter.

1 Like

Yes,I approve of this MicroG option with hardened signature spoofing that can be switched on and off at any time.

Xiaomi Mi A2 ‘jasmine_sprout’

The Xiaomi Mi A2 has been supported by CalxyOS since its first public appearance in 2020 (CalxyOS 1.0.x - Android 10) up to Android 11 (Calyx 2.1.x) - including RElocked Bootloader | Verified Boot.

The Calyx team had taken advantage of a bug in a special Xiaomi Android 8.1 firmware version and was until recently the only developer team in the custom ROM community that managed to re-lock the bootloader with their CalyxOS. The port to CalyxOS 3.x (Android 12) was tried for several weeks, but ultimately failed. Shortly thereafter, Calxy support for the MI A2 was completely discontinued.

Now Tad aka @SkewedZeppelin has again managed to make the Xiaomi Mi A2 relockable with his DivestOS 18.1 (Android 11) and an AVB Key. All other known official CustomROMs based on LineageOS 18.1 and PixelExperience 13.0 from renowned development teams as well as Ubuntu Touch - only work with an open bootloader.

My respect also goes to the maintainer Immanuel Raj of PixelExperience (PE). He was successful in porting the Mi A2 to Android 12 base and even provides his current custom ROM based on Android 13.0 - unfortunately only with GApps. The PE download figures prove that there is still great interest in a CustomROM for the Xiaomi Mi A2.

The Ubuntu Touch community is also making constant efforts to finalise its Halium 9.0 (Android 9) based Ubuntu Touch Xenial OTA-25. Current status quo: progress 99.1%.

Xiaomi Mi A2 ‘jasmine_sprout’ WITH relocked bootloader

Successful OTA-Update via wired LAN Adapter USB-C to RJJ45

FROM divested-18.1-20230618-dos-jasmine_sprout incl. DOS-Recovery
TO divested-18.1-20230709-dos-jasmine_sprout incl. DOS-Recovery
incl. Android security update July 5, 2023

Thank you, Tad aka SkewedZeppelin :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus (kccat6)

OTA-Update via wired LAN adapter microUSB to RJ45

FROM divested-16.0-20230610-dos-kccat6.zip WITH divested-16.0-20230610-dos-kccat6-recovery.img
TO divested-16.0-20230708-dos-kccat6.zip

The update fails because the kccat6 does not boot into the system but into the Divest-Recovery.

Image Divest-Recovery

Even after a factory reset, nothing changes. The kccat6 only boots into the Divest-Recovery. A new installation via adb sideload is also not possible because the USB port is not recognised with the Divest-Recovery:

adb devices
List of devices attached
######## offline

Okay, now I first installed TWRP 3.6.1_9-0-kccat6 by @ripee (XDA Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor). With this unofficial TWRP version, the USB port is recognised again:

adb devices
List of devices attached
######## sideload

Now I installed again divested-16.0-20230610-dos-kccat6.zip via adb sideload. The system booted properly.

Then the OTA update divested-16.0-20230708-dos-kccat6 via wired LAN adapter microUSB to RJ45 was performed again. TWRP 3.6.1_9-0-kccat6 by @ripee processed the OTA update properly and, - the kccat6 boots into the system flawlessly and works.

Summary: Divest-Recovery contains a serious bug.

tried it several times with different releases, but on THIS Nexus 5x DivestOS did not work. On the other it works perfect!

What i can see is that if i flash Lineage or /e it spend much more time to do.
And in the end ist say: Total xfer: 1.01x and the flash works.

Wehn I flash DivestOS the transfer is much faster and from 94% till the end it spend less then 1s ! And the output is: Total xfer: 2.01x
Maybe that’s the problem ?

@Route56
94% is considered successful for DivestOS.

Please ensure you have the correct version of adb/fastboot: Bootloader - DivestOS Mobile

Please try updating your firmware for bullhead via the flash-base.sh file in https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/bullhead-opm7.181205.001-factory-5f189d84.zip

Then try to flash DivestOS again.

1 Like

You made my day :slight_smile: That was the problem!
Now it works perfect.
Thank you for your support!!

1 Like

GPS did not work for my
→ Nexus 5x DivestOS 15.1
→ Nexus 5 DivestOS 16.0
but works for:
→ Fairphone FP2 on DivestOS 18.1
some one have the same Problem?

@Route56

https://divestos.org/pages/broken#papercuts

Most devices may take up to the full 12.5 minutes to acquire a GPS lock. Locks will often be quicker, especially if recently locked. Please test using GPSTest app with clear and direct line of sky. [deblobber][link]

I’ve tested GPS working on hammerhead/15.1+18.1 and on bullhead/15.1

I also recently released 18.1 for hammerhead, please also follow the guide here to repartition then install DivestOS again: [RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP HH for Nexus 5 (hammerhead) [DISCONTINUED] | XDA Forums

2 Likes

I’m since some time in a conflicted situation. Mind that despite having installed Custom ROMs on multiple devices, I’m no Android expert.
Generally I would like to use a hardened G-free ROM like DivestOS to avoid any unnecessary third party server connection and especially GAMAM, tracking and Ads.
There is however (in the household, multiple devices) the need of various Apps which will not work or only partly on unlocked devices with G-free Android either because of security checks or implemented Google Services usage (Maps, etc):
Banking (Two Apps not working, one only partly), Carsharing (Location service to book or open the car not working), VoIP (since some time not working fully, notification/incoming call problem), Local Weather (partly working), Local Eating Abo (not working), Municipality Services (not working), National ID login and services (not working), Product Reviews (since some months not working to even look at past own reviews, now has included Shop/G-Payment), Local Traffic Monitor (not working properly G-Maps reliant) and maybe some more I forgot… I do not care about Netflix, Prime, Games, etc.
So I’m constantly conflicted if using DivestOS, microG-ROM or CustomROM+GApps or even Stock ROM depending on user/device (I maintain 7+ devices, 4 Xiaomi, 1 Samsung, 2 Motorola). I know this depends on Apps devs and where possible I complained, also in person. But I seem the only one to even recognize the problem and even in my household I run into increasing unwillingness to accept my “stubbornness”. And I myself I’m tired of constantly looking for microG tweaks to get some Apps to work, so far I avoided Xposed + extensions as it seems an even more insider job.
A workaround in one case is a second G-Phone, but that is suboptimal. I dream of a “Sandbox” where most of the mentioned Apps will work, with Net access only when opened and other custom restricted access. It would help if a database of what App is working to what degree would exist, so based on Play Store with specific tags/notes saved by Custom ROM users. Generally I think the situation will become worse as more and more “hardened devices/logins + ‘easy/proprietary’ services” fully compatible to either Google Android or Apple iPhone seem to be implemented in all kind of Apps where it would be not necessary. Without regulation (by the EU, etc.) to force unwalled service access at least for public service Apps and for basic citizen services like banking, messaging, tax-declaration/payment (also for corporations) this seems a lost battle?

@chrifos

security checks

DivestOS won’t pass SafetyNet or the coming Play Integrity API.

implemented Google Services usage

Google Maps works without any tweaks on DivestOS

using DivestOS, microG-ROM

DivestOS now has the first widely available unprivileged microG implementation: Faq - DivestOS Mobile

database of what App is working

There is a list here: Functionality Tables - DivestOS Mobile

seems a lost battle

You must resist.

3 Likes