DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

It would be good for the reputation of the developer of Mull, it would be good for this browser project if this fact was published on F-Droid - Mull and on DivestOS Mobile - Our Apps.

Better would be to educate people against taking what is essentially a glorified grep as some sort of anti-spyware tool.

Your wording suggests theses and interpretations. Factual clarification and transparency is desirable in general and in particular.

Xiaomi Poco F1 (beryllium)

DOS build divested-18.1-20211010-dos-beryllium.zip

Summary: Unfortunately, as with the Augst '21 and September 2021 builds, the October 2021 build divested-18.1-20211010-dos-beryllium.zip does not boot properly and the POCO F1 cannot be set up.

The starting point was a working /e/OS-R with OrangeFOX Recovery. Installation to the letter according to the DivestOS Mobil instructions. First I deleted pro forma: fastboot erase avb_custom_key

Next installed DivestOS Recovery divested-18.1-20211010-dos-beryllium-recovery.img, then formatted it via factory reset /data, followed by adb sideload divested-18.1-20211010-dos-beryllium.zip.

After the reboot, the yellow POCO logo appears immediately. It remains still for about two minutes. Then an automatic reboot takes place, the yellow POCO logo is displayed for three seconds. This is followed by the orange message from the DivestOS recovery:

Can’t load Android system … (more see pictures)
Try again
Factory da’ta reset

Pictures DOS 18.1 vs LOS 18.1

Well, the whole prodedure brings no success and always ends in the bootloop.

The second try with avb_key

1. factory data reset
  2. fastboot erase avb_custom_key
  3. fastboot flash avb_custom_key avb_pkmd.bin
  4. adb sideload divested-18.1-20211010-dos-beryllium.zip

To lock the bootloader again with fastboot flashing lock because the POCO F1 does not boot properly with DOS 18.1 and stagnates in the bootloop shown above.

1 Like

Likewise, it would perhaps be better for you to say, “I don’t understand your meaning. Please explain?” More like a question or request, and less like a demand.

Anyway, your suggestion to give an explanation is not a bad suggestion to ease the minds of any concerned users who would find and read it.

@SkewedZeppelin,
I’m very pleased to inform you, even if some contemporaries here do not want to believe it, that I’ve now met my first DivestOS user for whom I was allowed to install two Samrtphones with DivestOS 18.1 / 11.0 / R. A regular use is certain, as this two ‘DOS’ phones, relaesed on June 2014, are used by a commercial middle-class manager, for whom increased data protection and privacy as well as sustainability are more important than brand-new Android status symbols. You’ll be able to register it through the monthly OTA updates. The apps used will also be kept to a bare minimum - including Mull Browser..

Side note: The new user would gladly and immediately support your work, but not with existing payment options via Stripe (bank card), Liberapay, Bitcoin, Monero .

1 Like

“mailed USD cash are the accepted payment methods.”

would seem to be another option (Garage Sale page).

No! These aren’t options for a Central European. The time-honoured bank transfer is synonymous with transparency and open cooperation.

@fossys

How do I open a bank account in Europe given that I am located in America?

Last I checked it is a non-trivial and costly process.

I think OpenCollective abstracts most of that away, but I’ve not created one since there seems to be no one asking for it or all too many donations in general.

@SkewedZeppelin
You are right. It is not trivial for a non-European to open a bank account in all of Europe and EU-Europe. Also, bank transfers from EU-Europe to the USA are expensive because the European and American universal banks (full banks) collect high fees. In addition, there is the exchange rate.

My thinking is based on EU-Europe, where transferring money by bank transfer from one EU country to another EU country is very easy.

My tip is to look at the service provider Wise (formerly Transferwise). Peter Thiel, one of the founders of PayPal, is the first investor behind it.

Links

Wise, Formerly TransferWise: Online Money Transfers | International Banking Features

Wise account: Multi currency account | Foreign currency account<!-- --> - Wise

Wise exchanges euros into U.S. dollars at the true exchange rate formed in the market without a markup (mid-market rate or foreign exchange mid-rate). This is the fairest rate at which two trading partners can exchange euros into US dollars. The total fees are less than €10 per €1,000 because Wise exchanges the money at the correct rate. This means that there is no loss. The money arrives on average the next business day.

Why do you only receive sparse donations?
Donations to pseudonyms or into digital cryptonirvana are a no-go for me. Donations are a matter of trust. Trust is built between people through interaction. Online activities like DivestOS.org must have an imprint in various EU countries. But this is handled differently in each country throughout Europe.

In the EU country France, for example, Article 6. III-1 LCEN makes it clear that every natural or legal person must provide the full name (for persons, all first names), the postal address and the telephone number. If a company has been registered or if it is a business, the legal form of the company and the number of the commercial register or similar register must be indicated. In addition, the name of the managing director or board member and, if applicable, the responsible editor. The information in the imprint must be provided “dans un standard ouvert” (Art 6 III 1 LCEN)

(Art 6 III 1 LCEN)

VI. - 1. Est puni d’un an d’emprisonnement et de 75 000 EUR d’amende le fait, pour une personne physique ou le dirigeant de droit ou de fait d’une personne morale exerçant l’une des activités définies aux 1 et 2 du I, de ne pas satisfaire aux obligations définies au quatrième alinéa du 7 du I, de ne pas avoir conservé les éléments d’information visés au II ou de ne pas déférer à la demande d’une autorité judiciaire d’obtenir communication desdits éléments.
Les personnes morales peuvent être déclarées pénalement responsables de ces infractions dans les conditions prévues à l’article 121-2 du code pénal. Elles encourent une peine d’amende, suivant les modalités prévues par l’article 131-38 du même code, ainsi que les peines mentionnées aux 2° et 9° de l’article 131-39 de ce code. L’interdiction mentionnée au 2° de cet article est prononcée pour une durée de cinq ans au plus et porte sur l’activité professionnelle dans l’exercice ou à l’occasion de laquelle l’infraction a été commise.

2.Est puni d’un an d’emprisonnement et de 75 000 EUR d’amende le fait, pour une personne physique ou le dirigeant de droit ou de fait d’une personne morale exerçant l’activité définie au III, de ne pas avoir respecté les prescriptions de ce même article.Les personnes morales peuvent être déclarées pénalement responsables de ces infractions dans les conditions prévues à l’article 121-2 du code pénal. Elles encourent une peine d’amende, suivant les modalités prévues par l’article 131-38 du même code, ainsi que les peines mentionnées aux 2° et 9° de l’article 131-39 de ce code. L’interdiction mentionnée au 2° de cet article est prononcée pour une durée de cinq ans au plus et porte sur l’activité professionnelle dans l’exercice ou à l’occasion de laquelle l’infraction a été commise.

1 Like

@fossys
what is the issue here? I genuinely question why you expect so much from me.

pseudonyms

Tad is my legal name.

digital crypto

I accept regular credit/debit cards.

Donations are a matter of trust.

More trust necessary then all of the code you are downloading and executing?

imprint

Should I have this? probably, ianal

I cannot afford a post office box and I’ve no intent posting my home address on my website for no gain.

1 Like

WTF is the problem with Liberapay anyway? They work with “39 countries” and “33 currencies” https://liberapay.com/about/global . And F-Droid uses them too https://liberapay.com/F-Droid-Data/donate .

The problem Lbertay is, among others, the ‘payment service providers Stripe and PayPal’.

Links

Liberapay: https://www.kuketz-blog.de/liberapay-aktuell-keine-spende-moeglich/
German spoken: https://www.kuketz-blog.de/liberapay-aktuell-keine-spende-moeglich/
Privacy friendly translator: DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator

Also take a look at the ‘donation barometer’.

Professional customROMs are not only used by private individuals, but are also used in smartphones used for business purposes. In order to be able to claim the support (donations) for the ROM developer as a company expense, clear information is required. The statement Divested Computing Group, c/o Tad, USA is not sufficient for the tax office.

Using your ROMs is a leap of faith by the user. When using CustomROMs, for example from Calyx (-Institute), e.foundation, iodé.tech, Lineage-for-microG it is also publicly known which real people are behind them and where they can be reached, keyword ‘company and summonable address’.

This is very unfortunate, because a person with your outstanding skills and continuous achievements should be more appreciated by users, not limited to just using your CustomROMs. Cf. also ‘Donation Barometer

Tad, I respect their attitude. Mine go beyond that.

1 Like

So, if I get what you write, you like Wise because Theil (Paypal) likes it, but you don’t like Paypal because Kuketz prefers MangoPay. That’s some great logic (not).

And reading between the lines, MangoPay is European originally, probably French, but Paypal is not…

Is that all you have? Because from what I could find, Paypal is kicking MangoPay’s ass in this competition for market share and skimmed money.

What is this ‘donation barometer’?

Kind of. Trust (like respect) is earned by action from my point of view.

On my personal trust-barometer @SkewedZeppelin is located very high. On the other end I find you (@fossys) taking some steps down to the negative from the starting position :zero:. The thing is you just talk and I see no achievements/actions you have taken. It can be that you are saying you want… but can’t that put you in my personal trust scale at a negative position? Can’t really tell but in all even if you would now disclose your full name, address and bank details here you would stay on the same bad position on my trust meter. Get it? Words don’t matter at all, actions do! So please take action (you might tell us in the end if you achieved something).

And don’t get me wrong @fossys, I actually share some of the critics (for example I personal don’t use paypal or stripe) but just the way you are demanding things here is just not right

1 Like

Also looks like you are heavily mixing things up here and you are not really aware what donations are.

Donations are given without return consideration.

Get it? You can’t make donations in return of something. (even if it’s only a paper for your taxes)

From what I see @SkewedZeppelin is doing all of his (support) work free of charge. On the other hand he accepts donations. What he doesn’t offer is payed support or any services companies typical offer.

You requests are directed towards a company but Ted is a private individual.

1 Like

you just talk and I see no achievements/actions you have taken.

In fairness, @fossys is credited with a significant amount of device testing for/by DivestOS, but this thread is long… Miscellaneous section, also long…: About - DivestOS Mobile

Who except stockholders particularly likes EBay, paypal, stripe, or their local bank, but money does make the world go around… Like any FOSS developers or bug reporters who for expediency use microsoft OS or github, sometimes you plug your nose to get things done.

Where is GNU payments system, Taler? :frowning:GNU Taler / F-Droid Nightly Repo for Taler · GitLab still gives me “login” error over Tor. Sigh.

Also looks like you are heavily mixing things up here and you are not really aware what donations are.

WADR, this seems to be a cultural difference, maybe. OTOH, it’s not uncommon for larger “donors” to expect special treatment…

1 Like

My words do not constitute demands on Tad, but should serve as a stimulus for him to rethink the status quo.

My words are not understood in my sense here. This may be due to the mentality, customs and traditions of the people on the different continents. But it may also be because the few people who participate in the word exchange here do not want to understand me.

Donations are usually not asked for in return. However, donations can be a financing tool, at least for part of the costs of an action such as Tad carries out. The best example of successful donation management is the creator of CalxyOS, the Calyx Institute in Yew York.

That increased donations do not necessarily require a tax-exempt organisation is shown by Mike Kuketz with his Blog Topics IT Security | Data protection … with his ‘donation barometer’

Well @anon46495926, if you follow the link shown above, you can read this sentence: “As an alternative, there are a few other support options available to you.” There you will find not only payment channels for donations, but also the ‘donation barometer’. This also shows the monthly volume of donations. It also shows that the One-Man-Show ‘Kuketz’ receives ample financial appreciation for his compiled information.

If the private individual Tad from the USA wants to make his one-man-show look bigger than in reality in the tone of several people in a non-real Divested Computing Group (“Not a company. There is no legal entity behind me, and it is just me by the way. Divested Computer Group is just a nicer more professional name I chose.”), that is a forked-tongue statement for me.

When Tad complains between the lines about his low fundraising, when Tad cannot afford the majority of smartphones for which he builds CustomROMs, there are causes and reasons for this, but they can be easily identified and remedied.

I’ve purchased several smartphones supported by DivestOS to support @SkewedZeppelin and confirm their functionality. Some of the devices are already out of my hands, but are now running more popular CustomROMs than DivestOS.Testing is my contribution of support for DivestOS Mobile, because I only give money by bank transfer to people and institutions that clearly identify themselves to me.

Among other things, the /e/Team at e.foundation has received a development grant of a very large five-figure euro amount from a Dutch non-profit organisation in 2019/2020.

Daniel Micay of GrapheneOS receives grants and donations from several companies for his excellent development work. Tad from DivestOS is on par with Daniel Micay.

1 Like