DivestOS: long term device support with enhanced privacy and security

@Cotillion

OnePlus 7

I do not have one, nor can I currently afford to acquire one.

You can try the build that is going up soon, and see if anything has changed.

Was this a fresh install?

Data and Cache was wiped prior to DivestOS ROM installation.
(there is no format /system option under divested-17.1-20210912-dos-osprey-recovery.img)

LineageOS 17.1 had been the previous system.

And audio works under official LineageOS 17.1?

Yes, it works through both the speaker and the 3.5mm jack.
(Worked on stock Android 6.0.1, too)

Orbot can be a chore to get started sometimes.

Orbot raises a
“NOTICE: Our IP address has changed. Rotating keys…”
whether a VPN Mode is checked
be it before or after otherwise normal start up.

Fix hamper analytics patches (a9f44dee) · Commits · DivestOS Mobile

Well. it’s not so obvious that obviously boolean values are to be passed as string ones.

A new installation attempt on September 12, 2021

OnePlus 6 (enchilada)

DOS build divested-18.1-20210814-dos-enchilada

The starting point for another test with OnePlus6 and DOS was a completely fresh installation of OxygenOS 10.3.6, then upgrading to OxygenOS 11.0.0 22.J.60 Build A6003 22 210805.

Unlocking the bootloader was done in less than a minute: adb reboot bootloader > fastboot devices > fastboot flashing unlock. Registration was not necessary for the European (International) model. Likewise, no waiting time and no unlock code.

For a first device check I installed LOS 18.1 lineage-recovery build lineage-18.1-20210907-recovery-enchilada.img according to the LineageOS Wiki, then via adb sideload copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip because of A/B support and afterwards via adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210907-nightly-enchilada-signed.zip. Everything went like clockwork. The OnePlus 6 booted immediately and could be set up ready for use.

For the DivestOS installation I used the already installed Lineage-Recovery 18.1-20210907. Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. Return to the main menu, I using adb sideload divested-18.1-20210814-dos-enchilada.zip. Before booting, I deleted avb_custom_key with fastboot erase and installed the AVB-key with fastboot flash avb_custom_key avb_pkmd.bin.

Immediately after I tapped “Reboot system now”, the screen went black and without any intermediate message I was shown the blue-red horror message QUALCOMM CrashDump Mode.

Picture

The heart-stopping circumstance for me this time was that I could turn off the “enchilada” but I could no longer (as before - see above) boot it into FASTBOOT mode. The reboot shows the Fastboot logo for only one second, and then immediately shows the Qualcomm CrashDump Mode again. I tried to revive the “enchilada” for well over an hour - to no avail. Frustrated, I put the phone aside, switched it off, and began to resign myself to the fact that my Oneplus 6 was hard-bricked.

Twenty minutes later, I picked up “enchilada” again to try to revive it with the device key combination Volum Up + Power. At first nothing happened and then, I couldn’t believe it at first, I saw the LineageOS boot animation. After what felt like endless seconds, but was actually only a few seconds, LineageOS 18.1 started and could be completely set up. The scenario resembled the image “like a phoenix rising from the ashes”. It was a load off my mind, which everyone can imagine.

divested-18.1-20210814-dos-enchilada

This old build didn’t contain the upstream fix I linked a few posts back.
https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sdm845/+/315208
Only Lineage (and derivative) builds after September 2nd (09/02) will boot on the OnePlus 6/T on the 11.0 firmware.

Hence why Lineage 09/07 booted just fine, but DivestOS 08/14 landed in crashdump.

The 09/13 build for enchilada along with the 09/04, 09/09, and 09/13 builds for fajita all include that patch.

This old build, the August 2021 build DivestOS 08/14 was downloadable until a few hours ago. A note about the stock ROM OOS 10 | OOS 11 problem was not given in the download area. Anyone not following this thread here knows nothing of the circumstances. Anyone who overreads the note in this thread, is himself to blame for what awaits in. After all, the motto is: Everyone is responsible for his own actions.

@fossys
Fair point, I should’ve pulled it.
I just did, and I added a note (along with the key combo you mention) to the known issues page.

@fossys post contains the only mention of NikGApps within the f-droid forum, so far.

I recently viewed the NikGApps source code repo at github and was surprised to discover that the project has a git “workflow” in place which enable you to “fork, then tweak the config, then submit a merge request” so that a CUSTOM build will be automatically performed and signed. Wow, that’s impressive!

I noticed / discovered a potential logic error within their config processing. ISTM the code presumes (does not check) that an equivalent component is present at runtime and, if the config specifies GBoard=-1 …the system could wind up without a “keyboard” app.

For me, the seemingly most appealing feature of NikGApps is/was the degree of granularity in choosing the most minimal set of “pieces” necessary for my expected usage. I had looked into (but have never used) MicroG, which similarly advertises pick-n-choose granularity via its config (to achieve a result containing less than what the “pico” MicroG would install)… but (sigh) the enumerated list of “extra_files” which one might choose to forego, it has been nulled within the NikGApps source code. Apparently exposing these to users had proven to be a “footgun” .

Bells-n-whistles. Gingerbread. I cannot understand the rationale for bundling “cannot-live-without” 3rd-party apps within the (NikGApps, same with MicroG) ROM. Sure (I checked), MiXplorer file manager is FOSS… but is unavailable via f-droid. If it truly is that great, why has no one (forked, and/or) packaged it for f-droid?

another concern (point of wonderment): NikGapps depends on busybox, installs it (from a prebuilt) if it is absent. Neither the user-facing NikGapps docs, nor the sourcecode, indicate that the system will wind up with busybox -provided “su” command.

NikGapps depends on TWRP, specifically, by name. If I have already audited and chosen to utilize SkyHawk recovery (I have not, yet)… too bad, so sad ~~ I’m relegated to prospect of auditing TWRP and its bundled//prebuilt components… or caving to the “rational ignorance” mindset of “oh SURELY it’s well-vetted”.

It’s not FOSS

Thanks for the correction. I apparently misread the page content at Hootan (Hootan Parsa) · GitHub

iodeOS is proprietary last I checked.

See the whole lot of empty here:

No ROM is 100% clean. iodé.tech, a small crew from Toulouce, in the south of France (Europe), write publicly that they only make minor changes to the LineageOS code to make their own developments more usable. iodéOS is a popular distribution in my region and a valued alternative to /e/OS and LineageOS-for-mircoG. I know over 20 iodéOS users, but only one DivestOS user - and he is me.

Unfortunately the drivers are proprietary in any Android ROM (yes, we know the exception…), but from there to the ROM as a whole being proprietary software there are about 50 million steps.

I’m not talking about required device firmware or blobs.

LineageOS, CalyxOS, GrapheneOS, DivestOS, /e/OS, and L4M all publish all their repositories.

iodeOS only publishes one of their apps (their Firefox fork), forked device trees (from Lineage), and some forked apps (F-Droid and microG).
Their main feature, the blocker, is 100% proprietary.
Without repositories, all of their system changes are effectively proprietary.
It cannot be said there are only “minor” changes if there is no source to prove it.

Edit:
Furthermore iodeOS isn’t even publishing their Lineage repo manifest (what Lineage sources do they use? what repos do they have a private fork of?), or their kernels (do they make any kernel edits? hard to say).

Even further:
They note on their own site the license of many of the HOSTS lists they use in their blocker, yet many are denoted NC: non commercial use!

1 Like

@SkewedZeppelin, in detail, you will be right, because you’re the expert who can judge this better than I can. But the end justifies the means. And an CustomOS without OGApps & Co. is ‘50 million’ times better to me than a stock Android.

I don’t understand how you can have that username and make this kind of statements in defense of a proprietary software that (apparently) shares absolutely nothing to the community that made its project possible.

Kindly delete ninja spam, as it is a for-profit company with proprietary software and has no place here (because propietary, lucrative projects are okay if they are FOSS.)

1 Like

@Morgoth, If you don’t understand something, that’s your not knowing, not mine.

The French are trying to finance their costs through equipment sales. e.foundation sends its regards. The advantages for the ROM builders of having supported devices on site can be imagined by any layman, and the ROM users benefit from it anyway. The amount of donations is still small, as the team has only been in the public eye for 3/4 of a year. The CustomROM are developed after the work is done, i.e. in their spare time, and can be downloaded free of charge by anyone. Vive la France!

It was obviously rhetorical.

At least /e/ is open source.

For the rest…
I honestly don’t care about their story, and your post has nothing to do with what I posted.

@Licaon_Kter there’s a spammer here.

1 Like

@fossys

Jun '20

Even if nobody thinks it is the truth, I would have liked to report positive aspects, but this is the end of my DivestOS exploration.

Sep '20

I do not use DivestOS!

Sep '21

iodéOS is a popular distribution in my region and a valued alternative to /e/OS and LineageOS-for-mircoG. I know over 20 iodéOS users, but only one DivestOS user - and he is me.

It’s interesting to see how the tester, aka user, has changed their tune over a relatively short time!

But the end justifies the means. And an CustomOS without OGApps & Co. is ‘50 million’ times better to me than a stock Android.
If you don’t understand something, that’s your not knowing, not mine.

This Machiavellian attitude explains a lot. Many believe the ends do not justify the means, and the speaker/presenter/writer has the burden of knowing their audience, and is the one who is responsible for conveying understanding.

The French are trying to finance their costs through equipment sales. e.foundation sends its regards. The advantages for the ROM builders of having supported devices on site can be imagined by any layman, and the ROM users benefit from it anyway. The amount of donations is still small, as the team has only been in the public eye for 3/4 of a year. The CustomROM are developed after the work is done, i.e. in their spare time, and can be downloaded free of charge by anyone. Vive la France!

“The French” have been lying not giving a “full and accurate representation” of their tactics since Duval started tooting his horn about his master plan for selling his Big Lie*, about four years ago. Thanks for admitting a small part of the actual story. Rhetorical - if the development is done “after the work is done,” then why have they been advertising for hiring experienced Android developers?

*This Big Lie is the concept you can be more free from Google by using a “de-googled” ROM, then installing and using all the usual popular apps.

I’m sure “the French” are taking advantage of what you’ve learned by installing, testing, and using DivestOS. I look forward to seeing their large donations appear on DivestOS donation webpages. But not holding my breath. :laughing:

1 Like

otherwise @anon46495926 will get even more confused…

Of course, you’ve also to put in your two cents. Well, only the fossilized don’t change their opinions.

With “The French” isn’t Gäel Duval and not his e.foundation addressed. It was spoken of two two French teams. Well, you’ve lost sight of the context. So what!

@fossys

otherwise @justsomeguy will get even more confused…

Yes, please clarify: Is fos sys short for fossilized system tester?

With “The French” isn’t Gäel Duval and not his e.foundation addressed. It was spoken of two two French teams. Well, you’ve lost sight of the context. So what!

So some people see through the lies, horse doodoo, sock puppetry and dirty tricks to see truth more quickly. Others, “the fossilized” as you say, take longer, first denying, but eventually revealing more truth.