Discussion thread for each app in F-droid?

I guess it has been suggested before, but shouldn´t there be a discussion thread associated with each app, that´s accessible directly from F-droid? This would improve the exchange of user experiences between users of the particular app and could serve as a help forum, off-loading the developers.

IDK (lazy, didn’t search) if it has been suggested before, but that would be around 4,000+ open threads, if they didn’t auto-close “2 months after the last reply.” One can always (and should) search previous discussions, and open a new thread if it hasn’t been discussed before. If you do find one and want it re-opened, feel free to ask “the staff”.

I did search, the closest thing was an attempt to make something, that is not available anymore:

What I thought was to create it, not in the forum, but in the app. Does it really matter if there´s 4000 open threads in the app?

@FrederikSchack

What I thought was to create it, not in the forum, but in the app. Does it really matter if there´s 4000 open threads in the app?

It does if you are the ones who are responsible for both moderation of comments and privacy of users.

F-Droid respects your privacy. We don’t track you, or your device. We don’t track what you install. You don’t need an account to use the client, and it sends no additional identifying data when communicating with our web servers, other than its version number. We don’t even allow you to install other applications from the repository that track you, unless you first enable ‘Tracking’… source: About | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

Note: If you turn on “send version and UUID to servers” they do get f-droid version and “a random unique ID when downloading”.

Imagine you are a volunteer, and your job is to prevent spam, off topic comments, and assorted vandalism in 4k+ threads, without authentication of commenter. Sound fun?

I agree a built-in comment, rate, review, discuss system could have some value, but not sure it’s worth the cost, and it sounds a lot like other (tracky) sites.

Wouldn´t it be possible to just make it user moderated? For example reports from three different accounts and the comment is out or sent to the bottom or something? Maybe not optimal, but better than not to have the discussion and exchange of user experiences.

I think we sometimes we limit ourselves by wanting things to be perfect.

I had a similar idea before, there could be a link to somewhere from the app details/links in f-droid app. Could be a discussion thread or a wiki discussion page. There used to be a wiki page for each app in f-droid but that was for some reason unsuitable, maybe that changed in the meantime?

Maybe a wiki is too complex for a simple task?

I thought more like a thread of text, with a simple user moderation?

Having only one forum thread sounds like a nightmare for app developers doing support. People will ask the same questions over and over again because a single, long thread cannot be structured/searched properly. Also, many apps already have existing discussion infrastructure. Adding yet another place where users ask questions and give feedback takes away time from app developers because they then need to check all places and reply to each question multiple times. Labelling it “only for users, no support” won’t work either. Been there. People will still expect to get support.

For example reports from three different accounts and the comment is out or sent to the bottom or something?

Different accounts? There are no accounts in F-Droid app, for like user privacy or no tracking or something awesome like that?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.