Consultation on simple gallery pro

Hello,

I installed this app from the play store by paying a small amount to help the developer. The fdroid version is older than the one from the play store. Isn’t the play store version open source?

Thank you.

Open source doesn’t mean you can’t ask for money, you know that developers are humans, and humans need food and shelter, right?

That being said, the app is open source but dependencies are not, read here: F-Droid NoSourceSince · Issue #1706 · SimpleMobileTools/Simple-Gallery · GitHub

F-Droid version upgrades depend on the developer pushing for a build, and the f-droid server time taken to build it. These may fail as well, based on various reasons.

There won’t be any updates, no matter what server status, until the developer tweaks the code and we can build a FOSS app.

Agreed. Seems the same with Amaze. I wish some LOS based file managers can have these features, including the features like in X-Plore(though, it is non-free and closed source with too much of tracking enabled).

I read in that thread that the new photo editor uses non-free dependencies.

Should I be looking for an alternative to simple gallery?

Can that dependency really compromise users’ privacy even if the app is open source?

any recommended alternative to simple gallery?

Thank you.

SImple Gallery still works right? Why bother for now?

I like a simple gallery but I prefer to use an app that is kept up to date because of the possible errors it may have.

Any interesting alternative?

If a product flavour was created that didn’t include the offending dependency (but still mentioned its repository in the build.gradle, since I can’t find a way to conditionally include/exclude repositories), would this be sufficient to recommence builds of the app?

Is not that easy, you need to modify the app to cope with the missing functionality too.

Apparently SimpleGallery moved away from foss, due to closed source PhotoEditorSDK to take advantage of their VideoEditor features (and PhotoEditor active support)

Seems I have it running fine with following patch

deleted:    app/src/main/assets/pesdk_license
deleted:    app/src/main/kotlin/com/simplemobiletools/gallery/pro/activities/NewEditActivity.kt

plus

diff --git a/app/build.gradle b/app/build.gradle
index 7e229062..885818b6 100644
--- a/app/build.gradle
+++ b/app/build.gradle
@@ -91,29 +91,4 @@ dependencies {
     annotationProcessor 'androidx.room:room-compiler:2.2.2'
 }

-// Apply the PESDKPlugin
-apply plugin: 'ly.img.android.sdk'

-imglyConfig {
-    pesdk {
-        enabled true
-        licencePath 'pesdk_license'
-    }
-
-    supportLibVersion "28.0.0"
-
-    modules {
-        include 'ui:core'
-        include 'ui:text'
-        include 'ui:focus'
-        include 'ui:brush'
-        include 'ui:filter'
-        include 'ui:transform'
-        include 'ui:adjustment'
-
-        include 'backend:serializer'
-
-        include 'assets:font-basic'
-        include 'assets:filter-basic'
-    }
-}
diff --git a/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml b/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml
index 11b2f5c9..6ef7ebd8 100644
--- a/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml
+++ b/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml
@@ -201,7 +201,7 @@
         </activity>

<activity
-            android:name=".activities.NewEditActivity"
+            android:name=".activities.EditActivity"
             android:label="@string/editor">
             <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="android.intent.action.EDIT"/>
@@ -210,12 +210,6 @@

<data android:mimeType="image/*"/>
             </intent-filter>
-        </activity>
-
-        <activity
-            android:name=".activities.EditActivity"
-            android:label="@string/editor">
-
             <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="com.android.camera.action.CROP"/>

diff --git a/build.gradle b/build.gradle
index 846e1e56..969a4007 100644
--- a/build.gradle
+++ b/build.gradle
@@ -6,13 +6,11 @@ buildscript {
     repositories {
         google()
         jcenter()
-        maven { url 'https://artifactory.img.ly/artifactory/imgly' }
     }

dependencies {
         classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.5.3'
         classpath "org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-gradle-plugin:$kotlin_version"
-        classpath 'ly.img.android.pesdk:plugin:7.0.10'

// NOTE: Do not place your application dependencies here; they belong
         // in the individual module build.gradle files

With possible rfp Add PhotoEditor App (#993) · Issues · F-Droid / Requests For Packaging · GitLab stand-alone PhotoEditor, F-Droid could still provide an up-to-date combo ?

You’ll need to fork the app, new ID, new icon (lol) and open a RFP. Thanks :wink:

I already have 2 forks in rfp/ready waiting for final merge, a third one would bottleneck the pile ? (Also fdroid build server activity seems to be halt down ?)

It’s spilled all over already, one more won’t help nor break anything :slight_smile:

As evident in the above patch, the app doesn’t explicitly depend on the proprietary editing functionality (if it did, then the file removals would’ve caused it to fail to build). Rather, the app provides an activity with a proprietary dependency and fires an intent to launch any available editor.
By introducing a “proprietary” product flavour, it should be possible to exclude (section off) the problematic license and activity as sources, exclude the activity from the AndroidManifest (see previous link), and exclude the dependency.
What remains is the plugin (which should be able to be handled like so), imglyConfig code block (which I imagine could also be handled similarly) and maven repository. I imagine that a repository whose modules are not depended on would not do anything, so it should be fine to leave the repository as is.
As such, perhaps a fork isn’t necessary, if these changes could be made upstream. This is all conjecture, mind you; I’ll update once I try to get this running.

Was thinking the same, but if upstream rejects a PR…forking will be the way. That would be sad since forking should be the last option.

1 Like

thx to Gitlab there could be a middle solution: mirroring,
Once down, at every wanted build:

• (delete_if_exist/)create an fdroid branch from mirrored master
  • apply/cherry-pick patch
  • tag for new build

Umm, I’d rather not, or better said…not without upstream agreement, if they say it’s ok for F-Droid to package a different app (by all means), then yes. Did you ask?

I have successfully built foss and proprietary variants. Now to make a merge request (here’s hoping). Please wait warmly.

1 Like

Would also suggest to change build gradle id com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro to
com.simplemobiletools.gallery which still exist for free on the Playstore.

thx for app/src/proprietary/AndroidManifest.xml tips (!)