Any Discord Alternatives

Is there any foss discord alternative thats new and good?

Define the expected experience?!

Both XMPP and Matrix cover chat and calls.

1 Like

Well i need to chat in discord with my family and friends and cant find a good foss client of discord

Why bother with a FOSS client for a proprietary closed source siloed service exactly? You’re not gaining anything…

I thought you’d want an open-source, federated, decentralized service that you could even host for your family and friends…

There is no open Discord client as Discord does not allow custom clients. If you want to chat on Discord’s network, the proprietary Discord client is your only option. We have Element, Wire and Telegram on F-Droid though (and many XMPP client), which are alternative networks. I would say Element feels most like Discord, but in the end none of them allow you to talk to Discord users.

1 Like

There is GitHub - spacebarchat/client: Open source, themeable and extendable discord-compatible native Spacebar client. We can try to include it.

1 Like

Just because Discord doesn’t allow third party clients doesn’t mean none exist. For instance, there is purple-discord although to my knowledge no libpurple-based app exists on Android yet. My solution is to run this through bitlbee (IRC gateway) and Quassel distributed IRC client, with Quasseldroid on mobile. It requires a lot of setup though and requires an always-available machine, so might not be ideal. It really would be simpler if there was just an app.

A Libre federated protocol like Matrix is the idea, but replacing a proprietary app with a Libre alternative is always a win even if you’re still tethered to the proprietary service. One step at a time.

edit: an alternative, if you control the Discord group and can add bots to it, is to run a bridge bot that connects a Discord channel to an IRC or Matrix channel. Again, though, this requires that you are able to have a machine that’s always on.

a FOSS client for a proprietary closed source siloed service exactly? You’re not gaining anything…

Yes but why do so many devs use Microsoft github? Similar si?

I thought you’d want an open-source, federated, decentralized service that you could even host

One might think so. Buzz words taste so sweet. But many dev leaders don’t do that. Confusing.

FOSS projects and closed source services? Sad… solution as always, don’t engage.

(German) https://gnulinux.ch/verliert-die-free-software-community-ihre-werte

(fyi, via the XMPP Newsletter: https://xmpp.org/categories/newsletter/ )

2 Likes

You can look into there website they have some option

I hear xmpp is the place to be, and Conversations is the client with best balance of function, cost and feature richness.

It does not seem to have peer-to-peer encryption capability. :confused:

No federation either(?!), so meh…

Have you tried matrix
They have good client and decentralized and open source and use a secure matrix protocol

Sure, the big problem of Matrix AFAIK is that it generates a lot of metadata on the servers.

But it is still the best option i know… and you can self host it and minimize that potential issue of meta data a small home server can do that i hope.

It’s meant as a libre alternative to Discord, which has neither of those things. I agree that those would be desirable but simply being “Discord but libre” is a win in my opinion. Discord does just fine (in that people use it, and apparently enjoy using it) despite it not having “privacy features” and I don’t think there is an obligation for Revolt to have those features just because it is libre.

Change silos, ours is better…old meme.

It has, it hasn’t, it’s up to you, not everything needs to be e2ee, eg. Public channels.

But you have the choice, as opposed to silos.

I know what it has, also I know that there’s no need for e2ee for public content, also I know that e2ee features like PFS are wipedout when keys are shared to new clients, and that matrix dot org is the server that copies all the federation content as bridges and users just reside there.

There’s an extra step for Dino or Gajim or Siskin? Yes, but users should know what is going on.
It’s default in Conversations, it’s always on by default in Quicksy… different apps, different devs, no VC/angel investors that count users for $30mil, no selling >80% of the company promising the next Slack-killer (for the 3-4th years in a row?) etc.