Any Discord Alternatives

I’ll have to look into those and see how their features compare to Discord. A lot of people are looking for things that can can do group/individual video chat, group/individual voice chat, offline messages, guilds/spaces, etc…

You gotta decide if you want FOSS or compromise at every step just so you get comfort…

XMPP is developed by mostly lone devs on free time or sometimes small grants, comparisons with VC/Angel funded commercial projects make me mad/sad, hence my “tone” above.

The posts above read to me like what user aral on Fediverse once posted:

– Where’s your easy-to-use, plug-and-play, ethical alternative to these toxic trillion-dollar products?
– Thanks for asking. We’ve been paying out of pocket for years to work on it. Fancy giving us a few million to speed it up?
– No.
– How about a few thousand so we don’t starve?
– No. So, is it ready yet?

ಠ_ಠ

Signal is possible in FOSS, so whats your point?

The Signal client is, but no one is allowed to distribute it (breaking GPL3 license terms?) if it connects to THEIR network, see long thread around the forum.

The server is open source, well if they wanna publish the code or hide it for one year until they add some premined crypto coin or smth, but…you can’t be sure it’s the same code that’s running on their server. Also parts of the code are not open source ( https://signal.org/blog/keeping-spam-off-signal/ ) so even if you run your own, it’s still not like Signal itself, and…no federation so you’ve made a silo…also…rebuild the client to connect to your own silo, etc etc etc

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.