Would it be safe to install and use an app that hasn't been updated in a long time?

Since I couldnt find a good scientific’ish calculator that is recently updated I installed Calculator++ by Sergey Solovyev.

It’s a great app, very handy, the problem is that it hasn’t been updated in 16 months, in it’s GitHub repo the last commit was in March 16th of 2020 and the latest fdroid apk version is too.

What do you think, is it pretty dangerous or how much time could be concidered dangerous?

2 Likes

I think it depends on the type of app you downloading. If it connects to internet, such as a browser or some social media app, then yeah I would think twice because there might be security vulnerabilities that could be still unpatched. But if it is an offline app with no dependency on any other online medium, then yeah it is ‘safer’. Another reason to support the developers so they keep it going. :+1:

5 Likes

If it doesn’t connect to the internet and is compatible with the android version there shouldn’t be any major drawbacks.

5 Likes

Ok, You beat me to it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right, thanks

2 Likes

16 months is nothing. I routinely use apps many years old and almost always find them smaller and better than more modern versions. It’s an idea to keep your own APK archive & install from it years into the future on any additional devices you may own.

2 Likes

APK archive?
whats that?
And how do I do it?

Go to settings in F-Droid. Then open Repositories and then enable the F-Droid Archive.

1 Like