Why is the normal Firefox not available in F-Droid?

Hi@all,

the headline says it all. Is there a reason why Firefox is not offered here? I thought Firefox is OpenSource.
There is Firefox but it lacks important functions.

with best
pixel24

1 Like

Check the discussion of how the new Firefox Android client got into F-Droid.

1 Like

Corporations often use “open source” to mislead people.

Firefox for Android source code is mostly open (MPL, BSDL, etc.), but it also includes proprietary components, like Google libraries for the Play Services. So Firefox as a whole is proprietary.

A good read about “open source”: Why Open Source Misses the Point of Free Software - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I thought something like that because I have the impression that F-Droid takes the requirements of OpenSource very serious. I like that.
Is there a change in sight regarding Firefox for Abdroid? Does anyone plan to clean up the code of Firefox so that it can be included in F-Droid? Or is that rather unlikely?

1 Like

Is there a change in sight regarding Firefox for Abdroid? Does anyone plan to clean up the code of Firefox so that it can be included in F-Droid? Or is that rather unlikely?

Please see the link posted by gsantner above.

ok ,I have read it again but probably did not understand all technical details.
Mozilla-Firefox contains non-free components and therefore does not get a trust from F-Droid. The situation seems stuck.

No, buddy, @relan cleaned up Firefox and published it in F-Droid, it’s called Fennec F-Droid.

2 Likes

Please excuse me but my English is not the best. But I try to work on it.

please excuse me but my english is not the best. I am working on it :slight_smile:
fennec is what i need. thank you very much.

1 Like

My fault. I though we’re talking just about vanilla Firefox and didn’t realize you can be simply unaware of Fennec. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can install the Ffupdater app. It will download Firefox directly from Mozilla.

Full of non-open-source libs, but you know… the original :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry if I am going to trust a browser it going to come from the source.
Even on my Debian system I run both Mozilla’s Firefox and Google Chrome.

Source means open source Mozilla, closed source Google, closed source Plum, closed source this, and that? Mmmmkay

2 Likes

When something is really OpenSource and there are no prove-issues, then its listed(read into detail) here: https://reproducible-builds.org/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.