Why does the F-Droid website nearly always host an outdated F-Droid apk?

Until Last Version In F-Droid App Version 1.9, F-Droid App Have Any Update It Shows An Update.
But Yesterday 1.10 Version Released In F-Droid But Not Recommended In Stable Version

Yes, 1.10 is not yet recommended as stable

Feel free to update and offer feedback if you encounter any issues.

Is there a way to (force) update withing the app or do we need to manually install the apk? I donā€™t see an option to force update in the app, or maybe I missed it.

Version not marked as ā€œrecommendedā€ are not offered as updates unless you toggle ā€œunstableā€ from settings.

@billybobfrank You can install any available update by going to the appā€™s App Details screen, then opening open ā€œVersionsā€ and choosing a version to install/update.

This post is famous: https://youtu.be/lAbgeJau3eE?t=270

Too bad that he stopped at post #2 and ignored the rest of the discussion, why let so much info ruin a good out of context?

I think it is safe to ignore that Side of Burrittos guy: a) he doesnā€™t care about free software and b) he gets many facts about F-Droid just blatently wrong, so heā€™s not doing basic research.

1 Like

another question:
Is it possible to find older versions of F-Droid apk on Gitlab or Github?
would like to find this one

Why that one exactly? https://f-droid.org/archive/org.fdroid.fdroid_1013051.apk

1 Like

Is it possible to find older versions of F-Droid apk on Gitlab or Github?
would like to find this one

there are links given at Running on old Androids Ā· Wiki Ā· F-Droid / wiki Ā· GitLab

while this is not directly at github or gitlab, generally old versions can be found at F-Droid - F-Droid Archive Repository

1 Like

I really think this should be reconsidered.

It causes a HUGE inconvenience (and confusion) for users who want to install FDroid in multiple profiles because you cannot install lower versions of apps you already have installed (downgrade protection) and this is true even across profiles in modern Android. So it isnā€™t possible to install and then update if you already have a later version on another profile. Since there is no transparency on the website regarding the app version, it could be very easily be seen as some other issue to those who are unaware.

Examples of issues - Cannot install F-Droid - Invalid package - using profiles - #26 by Sohika9539

I think this far outweighs the potential downside of issues that may or may not occur. Even if they did, you could argue that this would improve stability as these niche bugs could be reported then fixed. If it really wasnā€™t reliable, I would say it shouldnā€™t have been in stable.

Yes, it is possible to download an .apk of the newest version, but you could say that about downloading an older version too. Has it been considered to host both that version and the latest on the website?

2 Likes

How did you create the profile?

If by using Insular or Shelter, they have a ā€œclone app in profileā€ action that just copies the main profile APK thatā€™s up to date

Never say never. Eventually things happen.

:smile: The irony is a little funny.

However, if you look closely, you will see that this bug affected new installs and upgrades from >= two versions ago. So, if this exact bug had been replicated in F-Droid, it still would have caused problems for hosting a really old version on the website and then instantly prompting to upgrade after installing the app. Hence, it still reinforces my position on this thread.

Youā€™re grasping at straws cā€™mon :slight_smile:

1 Like

The core of the issue is that F-Droid is the only open-source project in the world that cannot agree internally if a release is beta or production.

App, ā€œI have a new production release available.ā€ Website, ā€œNo you donā€™t, that is still a beta release.ā€ App, ā€œNow I have another new production release available.ā€ Website, ā€œNo, that is still a beta release.ā€ App, ā€œI donā€™t care what you say, I am going to prompt everyone who installs the old version from you to upgrade immediately. Because the new release is production.ā€

Until F-Droid sorts out this internal disagreement, it is a huge red flag waving to the world that says, ā€œWe are not ready for anyone to take us seriously.ā€

You can take any item from the ā€œF-Droid is bad at Xā€ (long) list and call that ā€œOMG this is THE red flagā€. Be it python or Debian or targetsdk or non-FOSS sdk/ndk or which APK is on website at one point.

Iā€™m not sure I can force random FOSS projects to host whatever package I want, but you do you. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

All I am asking is for F-Droid to agree internally if a release is beta or production. As I pointed out in my last post, this isnā€™t hard. Every other open-source project in the world can do it.

Can you think of even one other example, besides F-Droid, that has this problem?

eg. Imagine me saying that ā€œItā€™s a red flag that you donā€™t you host the APK here: https://www.stoutner.com/privacy-browser-android/ā€

Itā€™s not a problem for meā€¦

Iā€™m roaming the F-Droid Ā· GitLab issues sectionsā€¦ Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d release anything as ā€œslableā€ or ā€œto be usedā€ :slight_smile: :slight_smile: