Which browser would you recommend?

Which browser would you recommend for a phone without google play store (LineageOS), in terms of usability, security and update stability?

So far I’ve tried the following browsers:

1. Firefox from F-Droid (dropped)
  2. Fennec from F-Droid (moved to archive later)
  3. Icecat from F-Droid (which has some rendering problems even when libreJS is deativated)
1 Like

It’s back to the main repo now.

2 Likes

Is fennec now a stable version?

I use firefox from playstore (download with Yalp)

Is fennec now a stable version?

Yep.

I use firefox from playstore (download with Yalp)

You can use this F-Droid repo: Ricki Hirner / fdroid-firefox · GitLab

3 Likes

I used IceCat for a long time and now using Fennec. Quite happy with
both… and both have Firefox Sync. Though both are memory hungry.

1 Like

I used Lightning for a long time, but at the moment I’m pretty happy with Fennec F-Droid due to the great work of our maintainers :muscle:
Firefox Klar is another option to mention here.

I used Bromite (Releases · bromite/bromite · GitHub , https://www.bromite.org),Chromium based browser whith ad blocker and video and audio codecs enabled(https://html5test.com).

1 Like

I used Browser (long brainstorm to name it) and is nice.
WebView, tabs (only 5), but no notifications.

ah! there is also Klar and their instant cache wiping :sunglasses:

I would recommend you take a look at Privacy Browser, although I must admit that I’m a little biased because I am the developer.

2 Likes

I use Firefox with the help of FFUpdater from F-Droid which downloads the latest Firefox version corresponding to my device. I tried Fennec for a while, but had some videos issues.
Updates are not automatic, have to run FFUpdater, but nice enough so far.

2 Likes

should try dolphin, with flash support

I like Warp browser :slight_smile:

Seriously, you got two options to choose of:

1. Firefox v57 (Syncs Desktop ↔ Mobile and supports extensions e.g. uBlock Origin)
  2. Lightening (If you don’t want any sync functionality) ← This browser I use when I’m not sure about what web site I’m heading to, because I hardened it, no js, no web fonts, ad block, etc… Plus it’s a smart browser, would ask you if you like to use tor.
    Last thing to mention, is Orfox browser. good to have if you’re located in censored places.

Lightning is a very good browser, but by default it exposes a very detailed user agent string, making fingerprinting easy. I’d recommend to change it in the settings.

Privacy Browser is a good option for privacy-concerned users because it has safe defaults.

2 Likes

You can try Lightning web browser. It is a good service

1 Like