What types of apps are you missing from the FOSS ecosystem?

@Online-butcher what problems are you having with microG and GPS?

@Online-butcher

You probably want OsmAnd or Organic Maps.
microG (UnifiedNlp) has no impact to GPS.

1 Like

I cant even figure out osm…tried a few times. Its just a pain. I will try again

The learning curve is a little steep at first. After you forget how Gmaps worked, it gets easier. Like learning new habits.

1 Like

I actually got to OSMAND from Navit (Nokia internet tablet, yay), and it’s fantastic. Sure, you have to get used to it, but whenever I show people the elevation overview on a calculated track - all offline - they’re typically blown away. I also have some experience with Here (we go), it was way ahead of OSMAND back when my wife still used her Nokia N9, but now no more.

3 Likes

Adding to list here: Shot Timer app.

Described here: Oglaf app, NSFW policy - #4 by anon46495926

I would like to see an app that lets you control the NFC, including turning it off.

A lot of ROMs, including some LineageOS, don’t let you turn the NFC off. I don’t use NFC and just tracked down a bad battery drain caused by NFC partial wakelock. I used the FOSS app “App Manager” to disable partial wakelock in the NFC process.

In LOS turning off NFC is grayed out in Settings for some strange reason. I’ve done a search and unfortunately, not only is NFC wakelock battery drain a known problem in many ROMs but people online are offering uninformed solutions that results in the phone being unbootable (freezing the NFC process can do this).

A very useful app would be one that can 1) disable and enable NFC, 2) disable NFC partial wakelock, and 3) does not result in the device becoming unbootable. As a failsafe, the app can disable NFC but it is re-enabled on boot, just to be safe.

@Corwin

All ROMs let you turn off NFC.
If the NFC toggle is greyed out that means the software or the hardware
is malfunctioning.

Especially with you saying there is a NFC wakelock only further
indicates there is an issue.

1 Like

Not all LineageOS ROMs let you turn off NFC. My LOS ROM is a fresh install. If you do a search for “NFC toggle grayed out” there are lots of results with new devices.

I miss very much an app that controls the volume of my device dependent of my speed. But not absolute like “Speed of Volume” and other apps but relative …

Spielmops

I would very much appreciate a Scottish Gaelic keyboard. I don’t care if it is fully including autocorrect, I would just like something that has àèìòù as separate keys.

Recurring bill reminder (subscription manager) app is missing

granted my use case is pretty specific, I’ve only one hand but speech to text would be a godsend. Im aware of the difficulty but i can wish cant I?

2 Likes

I second that wish!

Spielmops

I think an app locker that uses fingerprint hardware to unlock.

That’s impossible, yes, you suspect right.

The Lora part is just a network? Then Conversations and an XMPP serever might fit.

Nope. Has ads and is on FoogleStore. Not worth the pain or even to be bothered about.

1 Like

@Ryu945 It looks like you’re looking for a combo of these

Re: Lora

XMPP can do Audio/Video calls too.

https://jmp.chat has the infra for a TelCo system on XMPP, do check it out.

The drivers part sounds out of spec, eg. That’s a ROM specification as it needs deep system integration.