What has happend to OsmAnd~?

Has something happened to the packaging of OsmAnd~ recently?

For the past few weeks I have been seeing it in the F-Droid app as an “Unknown application”, and it shows up here on the website as having, “No description available”. As such I have been reluctant to update it at present.

As one of the most incredibly useful and high profile FOSS Android apps, I was surprised to see it degrade like this. Does anyone know why this has happened?

Thank you

Fwiw, I noticed a similar problem with Kontalk’s description. So it’s not just Osmand~ with that problem. The online package viewer on f-droid.org also suffers from the same issue.

I doubt this will cause any issues with the updating process, but it would be good to know what is causing it so it can be fixed.

Oh, oops, didn’t realize that would happen. This is related to the 1.0-alphas, which now support full localization. There is a bug in the apps that now have localized texts that is making them show up with blank summary and description. I’ll try fixing that now. If you want to fix it for yourself, manually update F-Droid to 1.0-alpha.

This should be fixed in 0.8 fixes (!304) · Merge requests · F-Droid / fdroidserver · GitLab, specifically in update: always include name/summary/desc in index.xml if available (0a953814) · Commits · Hans-Christoph Steiner / fdroidserver · GitLab

Once that’s deployed on the build host, then all those missing descriptions/summaries will magically reappear in older versions of F-Droid.

4 Likes