What can you say about the bromite browser?

Does the bromite browser have any telemetry?
Is it safe to use?
Why was it added only to a separate repository and not to fdroid?

We can’t tell… there’s no Bromite (or any other Chromium fork) in F-Droid because no one took the steps to clean up the code (to be fully FOSS) and make a build recipe.

There is no browser safer than bromite. But it’s a Chromium based browser and it’s difficult to build. Chromium’s code is just a mess. If you want more details, see Unobtainium, the FOSS Chromium and WebView (!3351) · Merge requests · F-Droid / Data · GitLab.

What about ungoogled chromium android?

Build instructions here,

Ungoogled chromium only removes google service but we need build all binaries from source.

Or they decided it was better/cheaper/faster to make their own F-Droid repo’, which can be added to F-Droid app.

1 Like

There are links above…read…

Monopolies aside, I’d like to have at least one Chrome fork in F-Droid, but it’s not F-Droid fault…just read above…or read my libwebrtc issue :frowning:

1 Like

I use it from time to time but I don’t like that it disclose so much info about my phone, unlike Fennec, Mull and Iceraven which simply state generic phone.

User agent is only one of many aspects of websites being able to fingerprint you.
Only Bromite and moreso Mull provide strong fingerprinting protection by default.

yes it’s true, but why my phone model is transmitted as Sony Xz 440 (random name) instead of making it, generic android phone?

“but why my phone model is transmitted as Sony Xz 440 (random name) instead of making it, generic android phone?”

Use the flag “Freeze User-Agent request header” → Enabled

1 Like

What can you say about bromite browser

Some browser app has to set the record for largest download.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.