Welcome a new Fennec F-Droid

Aren’t those disabled anywaymin the build?

Firefox has “Data collection” setting (enabled by default). In Fennec it’s disabled and removed from the settings.

Ok, that sounds good.

Well, I had setup a custom search engine and set it up as default search. After I had updated from 81.1.1 to 81.1.3 the default was Google and the custom one was nowhere to be seen. I tried adding it again but Fennec reported that a search engine with that name already exists. Tried adding it with a different name but it was not being listed at all. Something is pretty much broken here.

Edit: A friend of mine who upgraded from old Fennec to 81.1.3 has the same problem: he created a custom search entry which simply does not appear in the search provider list.

1 Like

You broke all my installed addons by updating this to Fenix.

1 Like

You = Mozilla, yes

But Fennec F-droid was the last bastion of firefox addons on mobile. Until I discovered Iceeraven today. Good luck with the Fennec-Fenix-F-Droid project o7.

Read above… Iceraven just enables them (at your risk ofcourse) a bit earlier then Fenix…

Just upgraded right now. Everything was fine in 81.1.1 but now (81.1.3) I cannot open the app and maintains itself crashing immediately without showing main interface even.

Device: BQ Aquaris U Plus
Arch: armeabi-v7a

1 Like

You have to share logcat to receive a descent answer

вт, 13 окт. 2020 г., 17:36 Echedenyan via F-Droid Forum <forum@f-droid.org>:

1 Like

Thank you and sorry for the inconveniences caused. I thought that was a shared behaviour so I didn’t even shared logs.

Checking you linked me here I guess these things were expected.

You are right about the logs. I recorded a little one with Fennec F-Droid stopped and then trying to open.

I want to share that lately, after being tried to open once and choose close in the Mozilla report dialog, other followed times Fennec F-Droid tries to open itself again and crashing suddenly as expected but annoying me in the normal use of the phone.

log.zip (24.4 KB)

2 Likes

Reading this:
In version 81.1.1 I changed default search engine providers by deleting some and adding other custom ones. My log seems to show some issue in the ArrayList where search engine providers are defined.

1 Like

As already mentioned above by some post Fennec F-Droid contains 3 trackers: Adjust, Google Admob and LeanPlum. Are they disabled by default or still enabled?
Does anybody know? Will/Can they be removed by F-Droid?

1 Like

Read above, already removed

@hirrov

Adjust, Google Admob and LeanPlum

Those are just stubs, they don’t do anything

I find it great that about:config is accessible. However, I miss

identity.sync.tokenserver.uri

That means, that one may only use the Firefox official sync, not a self-hosted variant, correct? Did anybody find a way to circumvent this resctriction?

1 Like

Open About Fennec and tap on the logo 5 times.

1 Like

Can you please report back if you get this working?
I have a working ffsync on my raspi, but I never get ff to sync.

1 Like

Thank you very much, that does seem to work well! I will test it further, but links and addons seem to get synced via my private server, and this is all I am syncing anyway.

The only remaining question is how to document that for others. Hopefully, the proportion of privacy minded users is higher among f-droid users compared to the general populations.

I can confirm I have the same “ghost custom search engine” since last update.

Anyway I have this bug I don’t know how to solve and I don’t know if this is upstream problem because I don’t have Fenix installed: two days ago I was downloading TWRP images and I got two failed downloads, now, even if I have set Fennec to remove all data except for open tabs, at random times I get notifications about those two failed downloads.