Updating apps in repo

I have a basic question about updating an app (from source) on my repo. What do I need to change in my app, and which files need to be updated? Thanks a lot !

Metadata has an ā€œAutoUpdateā€ field, when you run on your repo server ā€œfdroid checkupdateā€ it will check the app source code, if youā€™ve published a new Tag it will pick it up, then when you run ā€œbuildā€ the new version is build, when you ā€œpublishā€, ā€œupdateā€ā€¦refresh repos in F-Droid will pick up the updated versionā€¦

You canā€™t use ā€œAutoUpdateā€ ? Edit metadata yourselfā€¦add a new build block for the new versionā€¦etc

Thank you for your quick reply. Iā€™m a little confused ,I donā€™t see an AutoUpdate field in the metadata file - does that mean I need to edit the metadata myself? If so what needs to be added ? (Sorry Iā€™m still a bit of a newbie :grinning:)

Itā€™s your metadata, if you didnā€™t add itā€¦ you donā€™t have it

See: Build Metadata Reference | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

Also see how an autoupdatable app has it (last 4 lines): Files Ā· master Ā· F-Droid / Data Ā· GitLab

1 Like

That example that you sent me looks very helpful. I was wondering where to add that information. Should it go in the index.xml file, or the metadata yml files or somewhere else? Have a good night.

Look at the file path ../metadata/appid.yml :smile:
Then you need to rebuild the app:

fdroid readmeta
fdroid rewritemeta -v appid
fdroid build -v appid
fdroid publish
fdroid update

Not sure how you managed to have a repo until now without knowing these things :grimacing:

@Candyman1, whatā€™s your app? Can give a link?

The repo is at thesafecell.com/try/fdroid/repo

Did you want the repo or an apk?

You need to start from the beginning. ā€œUpdateā€ is a very misguiding word in this case. 1st read whatā€™s required to publish your app in the F-Droid repo.

Thank you for your advice. It looks like things are starting to workšŸ˜€

Sorry for bothering you again. I just wanted to clarify something . You wondered how I could have a repo without knowing how to rebuild the apps. Is that only for changing the apps or for a plain repo of pre-built apps? Is fdroid update --interactive enough? I mentioned on a different post that Iā€™ve been having issues with the rotation that the icons disappear, and they donā€™t work anymore - could that have to do with not rebuilding the apps? Thank you so much!

This is the right place to ask questions, so youā€™re not bothering :smile: --interactive was removed a while ago, so it does nothing. Sounds like you are making a repo from APKs that you downloaded from somewhere rather than building the APKs from source. Both are valid ways to make a repo. There are docs about both, like Setup an F-Droid App Repo | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.