Update for Kiwix not available in F-droid, Why?

The app Kiwix has released newer versions in play store and apk-Pure (https://apkpure.com/kiwix-wikipedia-offline/org.kiwix.kiwixmobile). But it’s not possible to see and update to the newest version in the F-Droid client. Why? Will anyone fix this? The newest version off “Kiwix Offline Wikipedia” is “2.5.1”, released in Google Play Store: June 28, 2019.

Autoupdate can’t be used, versioncode/name is generated.

Needs a manual edit on each new version.

How do I update it manual? I bet there might be other who want to know this. Maybe you should ad an instruction in the info for the Kiwix app?

Aug 6, 2019, 8:46 AM by forum@f-droid.org:

You may contact the dev: contact+android@kiwix.org?subject=Kiwix on F-Droid
Or look him up on Wiki and leave him a chat there: User:Kelson - Wikipedia
Or look up his wiki and use any contact methods there:
Although it seems the Dev is working on fixing stuffs soon: so ask him to update on F-Droid.

If I mail the dev: Is the dev’s e-mail contact+android@kiwix.org or is it just contactandroid@kiwix.org without +??

I’m already pushing the metadata update, chill out…don’t email no one :))

Ref: Merge branch 'kiwix251' into 'master' (559e1b99) · Commits · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

The app Kiwix has released newer versions again in play store and apk-Pure (https://apkpure.com/kiwix-wikipedia-offline/org.kiwix.kiwixmobile ). But it’s not possible to see and update to the newest version in the F-Droid client. Why? Will anyone fix this? The newest version off “Kiwix Offline Wikipedia” is “2.5.3”, released in Google Play Store: August 23, 2019.

Request: Push this metadata update to.

The app metadata can’t be autoupdated: metadata/org.kiwix.kiwixmobile.yml · master · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

Hence, someone (me/others) needs to add it, but someone else (you) needs to keep an eye on new versions and either speak here or raise an issue on Gitlab.

Thanks for the headsup :slight_smile:

The update for Kiwix is now available and working in F-Droid. But a app name Kodi is still missing the new update to version 18.4

A new “Kiwix” version 3.0.3 is not available in F-droid yet.
And I wonder why Kodi 18.4 is still not in F-Droid repo? It has been excisting for a while now.

You keep repeating the same questions, with the same naive wonder… you’ve been answered already.

Okay. Forget about Kodi 18.4, that is obviously impossible to do anything about?. But Kiwix would probably be possible to update again? Version 3.0.3 was realsed yesterday.

Independently from user Tip, I just have open a ticket to request the update of the Kiwix app here Update Kiwix package to version 3.0 (#1118) · Issues · F-Droid / Requests For Packaging · GitLab. Really sorry if this was the wrong place to request this, I’m not familiar with F-droid processes. I’m from Kiwix dev team and we are available to help you anytime if you face any difficulty during the update process.

Yes, pinging us in the RFP is ok, thanks

Now it’s been a while since the 3.0.4 version was released and not even the 3.0.3 version is available in F-Droid yet.
Are steps forward in progress?

As @Licaon_Kter said, automatic updates are not enabled for Kiwix, so it will not update itself unless someone sends a merge request that adds the new version.

Read Update Kiwix package to version 3.0 (#1823) · Issues · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

1 Like

Sorry if it’s disturbing that I mention it, but Kiwix 3.0.5 has been released now and the two new versions I mentioned earlier are still not available. Could someone please send a merge request that adds the new versions?
There is just one new permission in the three new versions I don’t like and that is that they according to Google Play have approximate location (network-based) permission. If it’s not already existing in 2.5.3, even if it’s not mentioned in the F-Droid-permission information. I don’t know. I hope they delete that in future versions.

@tip

Read Update Kiwix package to version 3.0 (#1823) · Issues · F-Droid / Data · GitLab

Pretty please ^^^^^^^

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.