TWIF submission thread

@rudloff, sounds like a good idea, do you want to write something?

Sorry, I probably won’t have the time to do this :confused:

@hans @Rudloff ideas?

The tables never turned

The Debacle of Huawei, news under a sun that should have illuminated it long ago.

Like any guest to this shameful party of politics will attest, you know less about what is
running on a Huawei phone than you could want. Insofar as there are any rational actors in all of this, not knowing, or wanting to know more, takes a bite out of ones appetite for more to come. Fear and fear not.

Stances are taken, for the great unknown, when essential basics are not on the very table we are sat at. Instead, reminiscent of being invited to the table, one wonders what goes on underneath, and how to position oneself to deal with it.

As unsuspecting a consumer can be, this is a raw deal.

There just isn’t a whole lot of edible things for a consumer on this menu.
It is hard to treat oneself to the even the smallest of delusion, when the language
coming from the kitchen, and bodies involved, is as clear as it is muffled.

An accusation of poignantly accrued propensity.
Huawei exerting engrossment, at the very least, leaves the consumer powerless.
In today’s dog eat dog world, Huawei has no business serving anything undercooked,
especially if it isn’t allowed to.

And here we are, questioning the machinations of how that unsure taste in our mouths came to be. If you care about as much for what it is that you are eating, as you are consumed at the peril of mobile computing, you will be dining on nothing but food for thought, till starved of options that could be good.

Unusual, business wise, but unwisely business as usual; Revolving doors, ejecting onto everyone’s plate–monstrosities of no eyeballs or insight, in-transparent in nature.
It makes for bad safety in what purports to be a distributional model of trust, in a presentation of no shame.

The fun stops when someone else has the knife, and you can’t even have a fork, in simple recipe of recourse:

Start with not being able to use someone else’s closed sourcery. Taste the irony.
Replace with reproducible builds, all parts source code available, and copyleft licensing, as you see fit.
Tip! If your humble pie tastes bad at this point, you can add F-Droid, it contains all the ingredients!

Season with schematics, open bootloaders, and avoid putting in any blobs.
This classic dish, best served as a starter, not cold, would have even the fine directors of Huawei dining on something other than camels.

Whether their outlook is that of being the biggest, or smaller than the smallest manufacturer, nobody needs look further than to the Librem 5, Fairphone, and the Dragonbox Pyra to get a taste of freedom.

Looking for feedback like:

Summary

I don’t know about putting in “and you find your operation is starting to look like insolvency, cure …”
It seems like (mostly not intentioned) schadenfreude when they are down, possibly reflecting badly on the prior premise of copyleft and reproducible builds in the text.

How about this food related pun you can work in thusly:

Possibly,
I didn’t understand, something was not clear ___

or "Maybe you should keep it simple with

The accusation is one poignantly centred around power. It is a dog eat dog world.
If Huawei has this power, at the very least, the consumer doesn’t.
In today’s world, Huawei has no business serving anything undercooked, especially if it
isn’t allowed to."

Edit:

0 Anything more to add to the recipe section? Like “trustworthy community infrastructure” maybe :wink:

1 How about “when the use of language coming from the kitchen” instead of "when the language coming from the kitchen?

2 Also “from the kitchen and concerning authorities”?

3 The accusation is one poignantly centred around power.
Huawei exerting this engrossment, at the very least, leaves the consumer powerless.
In today’s dog eat dog world, Huawei has no business serving anything undercooked,
especially if it isn’t allowed to.

could be

In today’s dog eat dog world, it has no business serving anything undercooked,
especially if not allowed to.

Though it is unclear then whether the “it” denotes the consumer or Huawei, it saves some words later, and leaves out writing “Huawei” twice.

4 would even have the fine directors of
Huawei dining on something other than camels.

or
would have even the fine directors of
Huawei dining on something other than camels.

5 And here we are, questioning the machinations of how that unsure taste in our mouths came to be.

6 At:
And here we are, questioning the machinations of how that unsure taste in our mouths came to be.

add in

And here we are, questioning the machinations of how that unsure taste in our mouths came to be. It leaves a taste for freedom to be desired.
or
It leaves an aftertaste of desired freedom.

but then it needs to be

" at the peril of _______ mobile computing,

to work with the distinction, which is concluded in the last sentence. “a taste of freedom”.

invasive, modern, cloud, bad man bad, top-down?

1. Does “rational actor” denote the distinction between espionage and the consumer at the table? Would it need to be “honest and rational actor”?

Edit2:

8 read the edri article, the idea that they are also cut off from using proprietary software, is an irony that should not to be lost. Also should link to it.

9 to get a taste of freedom.
could be
to wash down the aftertaste with that of freedom.

Errata

Changed from “not knowing
takes a bite out of ones appetite to bite into it”

changed from good things on this menu to
edible things on this menu

removed one part biting down on the bullet of international trade, replaced with

Cut down on → Should you forego any ingredient in the making of this humblest of pies, cure by shipping F-Droid by default. It is a ready made product, containing all of these most essential building blocks.

@kingu I’m fairly literate in American English (my native tongue), so if you could translate to that, it’d help. :bowing_man:

I am unfairly unlitterate, littered in American English, fam.
British English is the toppest of hats :one:

Do you want “table we are seated at” instead of table we are sat at"?

Edit: If we knew what Huawei put in their devices, we would be a table of contents. :fire::firecracker::100:

Mupdf Viewer got updated, I think to fix one(multiple?) security bug(s)?

Nope. Update MuPDF to 1.15 - #2 by relan

Moderator edit: Quoted user got deleted because of spam.

Yop @Coffee :slight_smile:
“The Light” is now in version 3.11: Audio Bible (see the help section)

A post was split to a new topic: Is there an app to backup and restore the user dictionary?

Moar Google shenanigans, the plan goes as expected…now a warning, when will this be obligatory (“for safety/size/speed reasons”)?

https://mobile.twitter.com/iNPUTmice/status/1140538367463088128

Yop @Coffee :slight_smile:
“The Light” is now in version 3.12: Audio Bible (read a whole book)

Is TWIF dead?

@hotlittlewhitedog

I started at some point but it’s too much hassle, I’d rather build test some app instead.

Moar info on the “give Google your keys or forfeit access to store features” saga

https://mobile.twitter.com/iNPUTmice/status/1142469025202692097

1 Like

@Coffee seems to have vanished, but all the tools for making TWIF are
there. Someone just needs to run the process :slight_smile: I’m happy to help get
someone setup, though I don’t know all the details.

Bundles continued https://mobile.twitter.com/iNPUTmice/status/1144549061804142594

Hello!
We would like to propose Tutanota for the next TWIF.
We’ve released encrypted calendar, here’s a blog post about that:

The version is 3.55.2 (may be 3.55.3 by the time you read it). Update checker run on the weekend last time so it did not pick it up yet but I believe it should be there before Friday (or I can send a PR with new version and changelogs which didn’t work automatically before).

Twif ia currently on hold unfortunately. (I.e. there’s nobody writing it.)

Would you want to contribute a twif post this week?

Hanna could write a TWIF, but she would need all the info/short abstracts about relevant updates and someone else would have to publish it (she says). Would that work?

1 Like

Let’s see if we can make it work.

I can publish the post on Friday if I get the markdown formatted post some way, ideally in the jekyll compatible format like you already did here once: _posts/2018-09-03-replacing-gcm-in-tutanota.md · master · F-Droid / Website · GitLab

The hardest part will probably be figuring out noteworthy things to report. I personally didn’t follow the update stream for a while, so I have nothing myself. I’ll ask on mastodon/matrix/irc for people to report stuff and will aggregate it here.

@thermatk did a great job helping us build recent Firefox Klar versions. It also paved the way for other recent Mozilla apps like Fenix.

1 Like

@Coffee automated a lot of TWIF, I’m going to dig into that now, and see if I can make automatically post a draft for people to edit and submit.