This forum's notifications

Hi,

This forum’s software is adamant about enabling web notifications, but what I’d really need is getting notified by mail in a reliable manner.

The notifications I receive are apparently random, sometimes I get a mail notification, sometimes I just get nothing (btw I checked my spam folder).

Do you get the same issue? Are there work-arounds?

It probably depends on which topics, categories and tags you are watching.

I get randomly notified for a single topic. I don’t believe this is related to what I’m subscribed.

You’ve set in your profile Prefs-Notifications-When I post in a topic, set that topic to: Watching right?

Also, you can per thread, right side scrolling there’s the reply arrow and circle…click on circle…Watching…

What do you mean? You get emails for some posts in a topic and not for some others in the same topic?
Did you tick the “Send me email notifications even when I am active on the site” option?

I meant a single thread.

e.g. I got notified about this

but not about the day after’s:

(which were far more crucial for me to get notified about)

This is not the first time this happens.
The common denominator seems to be absence of notifications for important messages - though that could be more directly a consequence of Murphy’s law :wink:

I ticked the “Send me email notifications even when I am active on the site”, maybe this will help.

@beuc I’m sorry to hear you’re having troubles. You’ve made everything right so far, I would also have enabled mentioned option. Hopefully it works better now!

I’ve also checked the logs regarding mails to you, and you’re right, for some reason no mails were sent to you about both posts. Very weird… Can you check whether you’re “watching” that topic?

Thanks for looking into this!

I had everything enabled including mention, just “Send me email notifications even when I am active on the site” was unticked.

It seems I’m “tracking” this topic, which means I get the initial reply but not any follow-up (even if the person apparently replies to themselves), which matches what happened here.
(also it took me a few solid minutes to locate where to check/modify that XD)
It’s the first time I see this kind of notification behavior, this is a bit surprising.

If that’s configurable maybe it would be worth “watching” rather than “tracking” the topics one’s contribute to (unless I misclicked somewhere at a point and brought this upon myself?).

@Beuc You’re welcome!

You’ve brought up a good point, the default notification level. And indeed you’re right, your level “When I post in a topic” was set to “Tracking”. I’ve just set it to “Watching”, you can see your preferences here.

I’ve also looked into the forum’s default settings and it was set to “Tracking” for all users. This is the default setting that comes with the forum’s software. I set it to “Watching” by default, as I agree with you that this is more likely the setting people would expect.

1 Like

That sounds good!

Also:

your level “When I post in a topic” was set to “Tracking”. I’ve just set it to “Watching”, you can see your preferences here

Thanks for the pointer.
FYI it was still set to “Tracking”. I just set it to “Watching” myself.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.