This Android ROM does not support ACTION_INSTALL_PACKAGE

hi there, my apologies for the late response. my aurora store ver. is 4.4.4 as of now.

have you tried installing with something like Package Installer with shizuku giving you adb permissions? apologies if I misunderstand the problem here.
+downloading the apk manually from f-droid.org I should add.

so aurora installs just fine now, but f-droid does not?

@Dorittora can you tell us, in Aurora Store, in Settings, Installation, Installation method, what is selected?

Hi there, my apologies for the delayed response. My installation method is the default “Session Installer”.

Here is an APK with the INSTALL_PACKAGES permission added to the manifest:

It’s a debug APK signed with dev keys, so don’t use it for anything other than testing if that fixes your issue! If it does, I can make a proper MR. It’s build off the latest master, i.e. 1.20.

Disclaimer: I don’t know the details of package installer/session installer very well. I don’t know the history F-Droid has with that, a core contributor can probably speak to this better (e.g. in an MR review). I am only going off the comments in this thread, which pointed the INSTALL_PACKAGES permission out as a potential solution. I have the build setup open anyway, so I figured I’d quickly build an APK for you to test, so we can narrow it down.

1 Like

Hi there, I’ll test it out today! thank you

Hello again Thore, thank you for the the test APK. Unfortunately the test APK still gives me that same error. I tried with Material Files app to see if it works, and also another app (Open Biking) to no avail, both seem to have the same error. Unfortunately it really may be that the phone has something built in the ROM to give it this error, its strange that Aurora works, but i totally understand if I’m unable to install via the F-droid client.

Also note: it seems as if IzzyOnDroid APK client works for installing FOSS apps, i was able to install basic apps such as gallery and clock on it. maybe you might be able to check the source code on that one?

Probably the direct APKs one available also on the main source repo. Manifest should be checked for sure.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.