"The upstream source code is not entirely Free"

I have seen many, many comments from users on various forums and chat rooms that believe this means the app is proprietary, despite F-Droid not shipping proprietary apps.

Thoughts?

They need more reading comprehension.

1 Like

I think that reading the explanation of anti-features at the link Anti-Features | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository should dispel any doubts without too much trouble. I’ve noticed that I’m often asked about the meaning of anti-features (not only for UpstreamNonFree) because it’s not so easy to understand that tapping on the note in the app description opens the link with the explanation, so maybe it would be useful to highlight this possibility in some way.

1 Like

It’s a never-win conundrum. Even after overcoming that point of misunderstanding… some will still gripe / bash / boycott due to their disfavor toward the exact LICENSE specified, or due to the project using a source code repository hosted by MS-owned github, or…

UpstreamNonFree AF - clarify state (#2481) · Issues · F-Droid / Data · GitLab ?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.